3-link front on FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

where did you decide to get those joints from and for how much?

actionjackson said:
I got them from Currie Enterprises for around 36 ea including jam nuts.
I would also like to do this to my 1990 toy truck with a FJ80 axle later, so keep us posted on it.
Action jackson, you have a great website.
I was going to do a trail with you and some other guys this last summer with my blazer, but I parted it out, and decided to build my 1990 toy truck instead.

Later,
Scott

Last edited:
Shawn,

How far along are you in the process with this????????????????????????????????

And don't forget the pic's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Matt

Hey guys.. Everything is gong great on the 3 link. Sorry I haven't posted up in a while. Here are some progress pics. :D

Chop Chop Chop..those old axle mounts are history

img_6956_320.jpg

Started my new mounts which will be above the tie rod.

img_7020_320.jpg

img_7019_320.jpg

3rd link tower is just about done...it's exactly 5" above the top of the diff. I will have verticle seperation of around 10 inches between links.

img_6996_320.jpg

All my buildup pics with high res images are here:
http://www.actionjackson.com/cruiser/mods/20060110.asp

This has got to be the funnest project I have ever done to my cruiser so far. I should be done in a week or 2.

:bounce2: :bounce2:

Last edited:
The Amigo with the Radius arm suspension.. Does that behaive like a RE long arm Jeep setup, where it jacks one corner up when you get on the throttle?

(Just brought my FJ80 front axle home yesterday)

Waggoner5 said:
That is nice work. Are you buying the bracketry or making it. If you bought it...from who?
Gary

Your just being nice! My stuff looks like crap compared to bought links. Although I will except your kind words...Thanks man! :)

I made all the bracketry from 3x6 rectangular tubing. I figured it fits my johnny joints pefectly and is already bent. Just a little cutting and your done.

Hard part is cuttin the holes in the steel. Here's an up close shot of the tower.

img_6997_320.jpg

I am going to be cutting a diff guard very similiar to Marlins to slap on there. However I also want one that covers the very bottom of the housing so I'm still thinking of how I want it done.

Is there any type of solid rod/Jimmy/Johnny/heim joint ends with welded/forged threads where you can press in the stock bushings? Especially for the frame side front control arms bushings?

Shawn - I just found this thread. If you have any questions pm me. I didn't build the 3-link but I tore it apart many times so I can offer some help. So far it looks really good. Brad.

I, as well as others are ready to see it on the road and off. The 80 front doesn't work all that well but gets through the tuff stuff OK. Take lots of pics of the truck at work and report the driveability. I want to do this to my project FZJ45 but haven't had time to yet. Glad someone else is doing it first.
Gary

actionjackson said:
Got my joints and tube adapters today! DOM tubing will be here next week! :bounce: :bounce2:

img_6912_640.jpg

A full writeup is on my site at:
http://actionjackson.com/cruiser/mods/20060110.asp
why are people getting excited about johnny joints i bought 12 of them to do a four link front and back, it took me awhile to get the back done and waited some time to do the front,when i was,nt doing the front i took my fj40 out on the trail maybe 5 times at most and all the johnny joints i had for the front are now on the back, reason being that the things need rebuilding alot and they are a pain in the ass to rebuild dont last very long and when they are close to be needed to be rebuilt feel like something has snapped every time you excelerate or brake
have,nt you guys heard this before from guys that run them or dont you know anybody who has them?

Either way you have to rebuild/replace whatever joint you use for the links. The heims I had on my truck were really loud when they wore out and I snapped one. I've seen johnny joints brake on the trail too. Thats what happens to moving parts when you add 40" tires and a #6000 truck. Just add one of each size to your pile of trail spares. Brad.

Shawn, awesome progress man. I'm jealous :hillbilly

the posts on the shortcomings of the JJ reminded me of that thread on the Y-arms and the cool 4-link with those massive semi-truck tre's - here: post #16 (https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=54572).

Anyway, very nice on the fabbing. I'd be very interested if you could try and document how much $$ total you drop for this - minus your own time which we all know is free :grinpimp:

Shawn - The heims on my old truck were 3/4" Aurora. Offroad Solutions sells another brand that is supposed to be of better quality but I never tried them because Aurora kept replacing mine under warranty. I haven't been posting much because I'm cruiserless now and feel guilty about it. I'll send you a pm to keep this thread from going off subject. Brad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom