3-link front on FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alkaline747trio said:
Instead of a limiting strap, why not try to fab up some spring retainers?

A center limiting strap helps you climb, it keeps the front from unloading, and can also help in side hilling

bustanutley said:
A center limiting strap helps you climb, it keeps the front from unloading, and can also help in side hilling

true. However, I've been where he's at, and I can say that retaining the springs is where it's at. If your on a really tough climb, you can winch down your axle.

Retaining will balance out the front to rear, and restore order to the force.

j

OK, am I not seeing it?
Where is the rear of the top link attached?
Butch

You should get some air bags for that sucker. Then you won't have to worry about coils falling out of their base.

Texican said:
OK, am I not seeing it?
Where is the rear of the top link attached?
Butch

Here's a pic of where the top link is attached to the frame. I chose to use a partially boxed mount with bolt going through the frame. This allows me to still drop the top link in and out to make adjustments quicker.

img_7112_320.jpg

I'm leaning on the center strap because there have been way too many times where I am teetering on a boulder on the frame and my front wheels are off the ground completely. With both sides of the axle that low (10 inches down) the drive shaft starts to really slide apart and from my experience watching other trucks do this the shaft gets pretty week as it slides more and more apart. I've seen buddies completely seperate theirs and some even broke. When one wheel is up and other low I get my flex and it helps keep my driveshaft from sliding out too much.

I don't see any problem with using a center strap and trying to retain the springs in place. It's just with these 6" slee springs I'm not sure how much (if any) length I can get them to stretch. I don't mind them hanging there like they are now. But I am going to retain the springs at the bottom for sure..just in case they slip out while it's hanging there.

Thanks!

they'll stretch, it's fiziks.

I had 5" springs on my rover, and I still maxed out 14" shocks constantly.

Sweet. Better go ahead and fab up a roll cage :)

Just plain cool, nice build.

Hi Shawn, nice build. FYI, those springs are not going to be happy if you compress them all the time until the coils touch. Not much you can do about it. However is you repeatedly do this, the coils will suffer from coil bind.

Very nice job Shawn... very nice indeed...

Have fun with it!

-Matt

droop limiters on the front will be a must, and shocks with good compression valving are a must with this set up, because the car can get hooked up on the huge front droop, and going steep downhill, the car can literally "trip" over itself, if it has some momentum, and the shocks arent valved correctly on compression.

Especially if the front springs are unloaded out of the seat at that travel.

Sick!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom