#3 Gray 62 bodywork and paint (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chasing rust again. Drivers side rear door, all up the front side. Really fun piece to make.

1598DC3D-BD28-4BB1-AC34-5E2FB394670C.jpeg
0FC7D0D5-BA9E-48CA-B495-29294EC2C019.jpeg

Chasing rust again. Drivers side rear door, all up the front side. Really fun piece to make.

View attachment 2401166View attachment 2401167

You should absolutely treat your panels with Mar-Hyde One Step or Ospho...

I just completely stripped every panel on my FJ62 in the unbelievable humidity of New Orleans.

The trick is treating them with a rust converter. After the converter sets, buzz it off with 320/600 grit... Clean panels, then immediately shoot them with epoxy primer. Flash rust can start within 15 minutes, in New Orleans we are lucky if we have 10 minutes. Epoxy primer is a god send for restorations, but prepping with rust converters is the key to the heavens.

You should absolutely treat your panels with Mar-Hyde One Step or Ospho...

I just completely stripped every panel on my FJ62 in the unbelievable humidity of New Orleans.

The trick is treating them with a rust converter. After the converter sets, buzz it off with 320/600 grit... Clean panels, then immediately shoot them with epoxy primer. Flash rust can start within 15 minutes, in New Orleans we are lucky if we have 10 minutes. Epoxy primer is a god send for restorations, but prepping with rust converters is the key to the heavens.
Thanks! I’m doing a similar treatment, POR-15 products, but where I need to weld parts then I don’t use a coating because it will burn off. Luckily, my shop is in the desert so it very very dry. I used rust chemicals all day as I moved through these doors. I always clean sand before I apply epoxy primer if parts have been exposed and are bare metal.

Kelly, It was pretty toasty down there when I came out to pick up my rig, just how hot is it now ?
I think it was about 104 today? Not sure but it’s been hot and dry. I have a swamp cooler blowing directly on my wife’s 80 series that is bare metal and not a tiny hint of rust. If that tells you anything. I’m working till about 9 or 10 at night because it’s cooler. The morning is the worst because the sun hits the doors and turns this place into an oven. I like hot weather though.

Thanks! I’m doing a similar treatment, POR-15 products, but where I need to weld parts then I don’t use a coating because it will burn off. Luckily, my shop is in the desert so it very very dry. I used rust chemicals all day as I moved through these doors. I always clean sand before I apply epoxy primer if parts have been exposed and are bare metal.

Lol when I saw you were in Arizona.... jealousy.

Ok, one more thing today. Sanded the hatch before I left. Look at how fabulous this sander gets into all the corners and edges. 10 min probably to sand this.
9CC40935-07AC-4E80-96DD-9939E37FB11F.jpeg
2827B134-D9C2-47F8-AF27-5D558B82C358.jpeg

Which sander are you using? I've been struggling with those damn window frames, have had to do most by hand.

Which sander are you using? I've been struggling with those damn window frames, have had to do most by hand.
Eastwood contour. It uses drum flap wheels with scuff pads in between the sand paper. So far it seems like good quality, and my wife used it on her 80 series for like 3 days. It’s worked well.

I have many different drums for the sander and have experimented for 2 months. If you decide to buy one, I can help you pick out drums. Also, when the sandpaper gets worn, it doesn’t tear off, it just turns into a flap with no grit left. I think it’s an emery cloth type of paper. Anyway, I trim the worn flaps of sandpaper back and it’s new again. The drums with sandpaper in them last a long time.

I actually built a clone of one of those to fit the grinders I already have and bought a selection of drums. I found them super useful to strip the bedliner off of the truck, but the corners wore off pretty fast.

Good tip on trimming the worn flaps back. I will give that a go, thank you!

woah. that sanding job is incredible. NICE!!

I know, this is boring. I’m just showing doors again. Ready for filler. Fiberglass reinforced filler first, then normal filler.

View attachment 2403417
Not boring at all your showing all of is the work you do. I just painted a oem 60 grill emblem that was plasti dip painted after i stripped that stuff off all the while saying should have just ordered a new one for the time that i have in that dang thing. Thats boring...

Thoroughly enjoying these paint and bodywork threads. Thanks for posting :D

This is going to be a good one ... :popcorn: :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom