2nd Gen Sequoia with 4.7 Underpowered? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We looked at a 2nd generation Sequoia recently and the family loved it, but it was in poor condition. I found a different 2008 for a pretty reasonable price and low mileage but it has the 4.7L V8. Does anyone have experience with the 4.7 in the Sequoia? Does it feel under powered? Is fuel economy as bad as the 5.7? Trying to get a feel if it is worth checking out.

I’ve got 135k on my 2014 5.7 and it is a great power train for the Sequoia. I had the 4.7 in a 4runnner and can’t imagine it doing anything better in the 2nd gen sequoia(even real world fuel mileage)

36352C69-DFDD-48A5-ABAC-8CFA1B87517F.jpeg

I’ve got a first gen sequoia that I love but pulling a trailer with just a Honda ATV on it I only get about 11-12mpg. I borrowed my dads 2012 tundra double cab with the 5.7 for the weekend and hauled 2.5 hrs up and down mountain rds Friday and back again Sunday for 5 hrs total. I averaged 13.5 mpg the whole time with a paddle board on his ladder rack and never was worried about power.

Bought my (then) 2 year old 4WD Sequoia with the 4.7 engine with ~50K miles on it. Now up to 125K and no complaints. Power a-plenty for me, but previously I had a 4Runner with the 3.0 so . . .

My overall average MPG is 17.5, city and highway combined, but I can't get past 18 on the highway, normally hauling a load.

Are you planning to add upsize tires?

If so, I’d ask again with generally what size donut you plan on.

FWIW, I have 35” tires on my 5.7 & don’t even use the tow mode even with my ~5K#’s of boat/tandem axle trailer behind it (I do shift manually when on steep inclines or declines, mainly to prevent the trans heat from gear ‘hunting’).
And I just drop it all the way in low when retrieving, may even have the 2L or 4L going based on the boat launch.

Power was there even to my buddy/1st owner who had 37’s on it & never towed anything, but I only rode in it then, never drove myself with the 37’s (he put fresh 35’s on when he posted FS / sold to me).

I had two first gen Sequoia's with the 4.7. I did not think they lacked power with stock tires. The 07 is lifted with ~33s and the boy is complaining of slow acceleration. Bear in mind he's 18...

Jgrauman,

I'm not telling him that.... ;) He needs to slow it down... Let him find this link on his own....

Jgrauman,

I'm not telling him that.... ;)... Let him find this link on his own....

Hell, I only tell anybody at work ~60% of what I know, - if they walk away satisfied then that’s on them.

If they really want to learn, I’ll keep going - but nothing like here on Mud where I’m running on as much as my aging brain remembers & willingly stating when I’m “guess-ta-remembering” - something
(means you better verify for yourself) :hillbilly:

Out at work it’s job security, and it sorts out the ‘drones’ from the ‘guys with initiative’ who want to learn.

Damn, am I really as old as that last statement came off.......sh!t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom