2nd Electrical System (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElPolloBlanco

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
Let me start off by saying I wasn't sure where to put this. I figured since I spend most of my time in here for obvious reasons I'd start here.

I'm finally getting around to running wire and installing my electronics. I'll try to explain everything with out a wall of text. Photos can be posted if requested.

I started with this Dual Battery and Winch kit from 12VoltGuy.com. I installed it along the front of the engine bay. I was working with what I had, I put the big solenoid upside down on the horn bracket. Probably not the best in terms of water proofing, but it should stand up just fine where it's at.

I'm running power and ground back to a distribution block and a grounded bus bar which will be mounted to my drawer system (not really a system, just a box with drawers). From the distribution block I'm running power to an inverter, a Cerwin Vega Vpas10 subwoofer, and a fuse relay box, all mounted to the drawers.

For the fuse and relay I went with a Bussmann 1503-2-2-4 which you can get at the link from Waytekwire.com You need a bunch of parts to build it up, pins and stuff. But I did it myself in about an hour or so. There is a great guide here at Bodenzord.com with a really in depth explanation and walk through. Mine doesn't look like this because I didn't use the fancy plugs. I still could, but my wires are going in different directions so I just didn't do it.

The Bussmann has 10 Mini Fuse spots, and 5 micro relay spots. I went with the 4 pronged relays, not the 5. I'm having a hard time with my planning though, and this is where I need your help. I'm trying to decide what should be done through the relays. I'm going to put it in a list order the same as the fuses.

1. (Relay) Roof Rack mounted Light bar. This is obvious. The amount of power for this light is likely too much for the switches in the dash and I don't want to burn the place down.

2. (Non-Relay) Front 12v Sockets/USB like this. I like this design because even though it's "always hot" it can be shut off at the plug to prevent battery drain. I'll be using these in the front and one in the cargo area where the 3rd row ash tray used to be. This wire will also carry power to my switches in the center console and center dash area. Gotta have power to send the signals, and the switches have indicator lights in them. These are my switches with Green lights.

3. (Relay) Rear lights, I have 2 flood lights i'm mounting to the rear of the roof rack. I could probably get by with not running these through at relay as I don't think the amps will be too high, but I don't want to risk it.

4. (Non- Relay)Rock Lights and Camp Lights. So I know rocklights are all the rage with the Bro's. But I'm seen legitimate benefit from them on the trail at night so I'm going to put some on. I haven't decided what type yet. This will be a wire that runs up the drivers side to a switch to the left of the steering wheel. My other light switches will be there too for the light bar and flood lights. It isn't going to be relayed in anyway I don't see a need for it. It will also split off and go to the center console where I'll have switches in the coin slots from what I'm calling Camp lights. I place to run an LED strip down each side of the roof rack to provide some soft light when at camp. I plan on having and awning on the drivers side and a rooftop then is going to be opening to the passenger side. This will case light underneath these things. Shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not all turned on at the same time.

5. (Relay) not sure. I'm not sure what to do with my relay spots from here on out. I have three more. I'm wondering if there is anything I should give some thought to when adding some future accessories that need relay protection. I have plenty of switches and I'll likely just run the switch wires into the console area for later use. Is there anything you can think of that I might want to add that I should plan for?

6. (Non-Relay) Rear and top power. This line will run to another blue sea panel in the cargo area. It will also run up to the rooftop tent where I'd like to have a spot to plug in phones and ipads and stuff while camping. I'm also planing on adding some LED strip lighting in the tent. If your wondering about getting power to the roof I actually have a Cannon Plug from and F/A-18A taking my power to the roof.

7. (Relay) See #5

8. (Non-Relay) CB Radio. Pretty self explanatory. Likely going to get a Peaked Cobra WXSTII. I'll admit it's not the best radio, but space is a premium and this fits under the stereo.

9. (Relay) See #5

10. (Non-Relay) No Current Plans.

So things I should mention. I'm not sure which one I'll be taping off of, but a switch in the center dash will be for the York OBA. It'll be fused and relayed in the engine bay. I'd also like to eventually add the ability to carry water under the truck and have found several pumps that could eventually be plugged into the number 10 spot. The whole system will be protected by a 200 amp fuse at the battery before the power goes back and 80 and 100 amp fuses will be used at the rear to protect the fuse block, subwoofer, and 1500w inverter. I'm using 12 and 14 gauge wire to carry power to the actual accessories.

So what is missing? What should I be thinking about? What would you add or take away? I really want to have a good plan together for my current and future upgrades cause I really don't like ripping the truck apart to run wire any more than I have to. What might I like to add in the future that needs to be relayed so I can make plans now.

Thanks.

Got some good work done on this today. Going to have to order more wire though, 100 feet wasn't enough.

I know this is an older post but that is a serious setup. How did it turn out? I’m working on a much scaled down version of this right now. How did you manage all of the pieces in the engine bay? I’ve got a dual battery setup and getting ready to add a winch and I’m already out room on my main battery posts. If you have any pics of your wiring you could share I’d appreciate it.

A7ABB789-4837-4035-8265-704E775EFF54.jpeg

This is my starter battery. I like to keep things simple for the one that I absolutely need.
79F60298-3787-441D-BDDA-170B08BE57CF.jpeg

My dual battery control panel
FAD57CE2-8C24-43F5-A6D1-36FC636A858E.jpeg

My solonoid.
0A52369C-EE07-4AFE-99FC-46AA96A400B7.jpeg

The second battery. A little more complicated.
16F480A2-3AF1-4A86-997E-E749E6729956.jpeg

The fuse for the main wire back to my relay block.

722C03F8-8456-4C70-9BDB-85029356FD06.jpeg

Distribution blocks for power and ground straight to the battery for the fuse/relay box, sub amp, and inverter.
C918FB3F-07A2-4AF2-ADBE-8EF3486D36F5.jpeg

My relay/fuse box
06760A14-662E-4FB4-AB88-4A00399C9BCB.jpeg

This storage unit has since been rebuilt to not be so crappy. It’s still crappy, but not terrible.

I know this is an older post but that is a serious setup. How did it turn out? I’m working on a much scaled down version of this right now. How did you manage all of the pieces in the engine bay? I’ve got a dual battery setup and getting ready to add a winch and I’m already out room on my main battery posts. If you have any pics of your wiring you could share I’d appreciate it.
To answer your questions, I’m really happy with the way it turned out. Running the wires the proper way while the interior was gutted was the best idea. It let me run it along existing routes with ease. For under the hood I hope the photos do it justice. The ony thing connected to my starter battery is the truck and the cable to the second battery. My winch is on the second battery. I’ve seen the debates about winches and how to hook them up, I’m of the opinion that light winching off the second battery will be fine. If I’m ever in a position where I need to do a long hard pull or a lot of winching, I’ll take my time and left the alternator do it’s thing.

Thanks for the info and the pics. That’s a big help. I was curious about the winch on the second battery too. I don’t understand the drawback to it. If your battery system is working like it should and your truck is running it shouldn’t matter which battery it’s hooked to. Did you upgrade your alternator?

Thanks

Thanks for the info and the pics. That’s a big help. I was curious about the winch on the second battery too. I don’t understand the drawback to it. If your battery system is working like it should and your truck is running it shouldn’t matter which battery it’s hooked to. Did you upgrade your alternator?

Thanks

Not yet. I’d love to, but family trips to Rome don’t pay for themselves. Rig is kinda on the back burner right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom