2L diesel swapped 1986 4Runner (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those two are bloody terrible
Yeah I was worried about that too. Luckily after reshimming all of them, the spray pattern on all of them are like the last two. Must’ve been a bunch of gunk in the nozzles I cleaned out.

Looks like injector 1 is bubbling from the threads going into the head and leaking diesel from the two body halves. Guess I’ll pull it out at lunch and clean it out….again.

Couldn't find a vice since I'm back at school for a few weeks and apparently you need first aid attendants in the shop to be in there (god I do not miss school and all its stupid rules). I've verified it's definitely leaking from the body halves, should be fine to drive until the weekend when I can head home and use my vice to open it up? Not leaking a ton of fuel.
IMG_1696.JPG
IMG_1697.JPG

Finally had time to pull the injectors and put the old spring and shims in. Now they don’t leak, and they all pop at 1800 PSI. I also swapped the old timing advance plunger spring, shim, and cover in. I had to pull the static timing down a bit. The old cover has way more depth to it, much more power on the road. Although a bit more rattle when cruising and a bit more smoke, but I’ll just live with it for now.

What do you guys think? I can finally see the light at the other end of the tunnel.

Finally had time to pull the injectors and put the old spring and shims in. Now they don’t leak, and they all pop at 1800 PSI. I also swapped the old timing advance plunger spring, shim, and cover in. I had to pull the static timing down a bit. The old cover has way more depth to it, much more power on the road. Although a bit more rattle when cruising and a bit more smoke, but I’ll just live with it for now.

What do you guys think? I can finally see the light at the other end of the tunnel.

Nice! I'd say from my experiences you have a bit too much timing advance there. It's good if it sounds like that on cold startup, but not driving with a full warm engine. I'd pull it back a bit.

Just got back from a drive after pulling the static timing back a bit. Definitely much better. No more rattling and the smoke went down a bit. Actually for once I can say it feels like how it felt before the rebuild. Was able to hold 50km/h up a steep hill that even my 22r powered truck struggles with.

DF853A97-5427-484E-A902-D4BF9EF482E9.jpeg
32E552B3-5445-4BE0-9A6E-C239E91C4E93.jpeg
5F900BDE-C989-444B-A737-37AAF742B7E2.jpeg
04100663-A637-4346-A71B-8A3A7F158769.jpeg

Had a manifold made up for the turbo. Did a little test fit today. I’ll have to move the vacuum pump line and maybe the power steering line. Just have to order some oil lines in and figure out where I put the down pipe flange for the turbo.

Does anyone know an easy way to drop the oil pan to weld a return in? I know the diff will have to drop, is that it? I can probably take care of it on an upcoming weekend.

Now you have to tune all over again. At least you're getting the tuning figured out. A turbo will make you smile once you dial it in.

The turbo wheel looks like it took some hits. What did it come off of? Is it a good match for your engine?

Looking forward to more progress. Good luck with it.

The turbo is from a Mitsubishi turbo diesel, bought it from someone who had it on a honda civic, go figure its beat up. It's a good turbo for these engines I've been told.

I took a magnet to my pan, are they not steel? Magnet wouldn't stick. Kinda worried about welding on it now.

Looks like I will have to prop the steering idler arm to get clearance up front. Also looks like my drain needs a new gasket, damn oil leaks never end. Diff shouldn't be too hard, I did it last year and it only took an hour or so.
IMG_1851.JPG
IMG_1850.JPG

I will put the return here, really hoping it'll weld, pan is stamped something, definitely not aluminum. Maybe my magnet is just dead haha.
IMG_1852.JPG

regarding the oil pan,
I loosened the 2 motor mount bolts and jacked the engine up from the trans when I did mine both times. Just make sure the oil line doesnt hit the diff housing, I rolled the dice and chose a terrible spot for mine. IIRC taking the oil pickup tube off ( 3 bolts) makes it a little easier

Well I was able to drop the front differential today, damn thing almost put a dent in the ground if that’s even possible. I was able to unbolt the idler arm and the pan dropped right out.
4C2A545C-EBC8-473C-98DC-E69FED0A0EAA.jpeg
514D501A-084F-4C55-9A47-3D8C2B54CAC3.jpeg
AC1CCD15-758C-4C8C-A663-E0D294746C16.jpeg

Off to the shed for some welding. I didn’t have a drill bit big enough to slide the fitting in, but I was able to weld it on fine. I wish I could have cut it at angle but oh well.
3D0A581D-5F8A-411E-A23B-3F59B603E3BC.jpeg
F77E32A0-C9E8-40D6-A1E8-2CD9D6CC5928.jpeg

The pan went on without and issue, I can’t see the drain not working. It has a 3/4” hole so that should be plenty.
CBD9D44E-1702-4F79-85CA-501395BEC3B6.jpeg
15BA42E1-F48F-4610-99EB-2C299DA68340.jpeg

I tired lifting the diff and pulled something really bad in my back so I’m now lying in bed writing this regretting decisions. I’ll figure it out tomorrow on how to lift that damn thing without dying.

The pan went on without and issue, I can’t see the drain not working. It has a 3/4” hole so that should be plenty. View attachment 3332415View attachment 3332416
I tired lifting the diff and pulled something really bad in my back so I’m now lying in bed writing this regretting decisions. I’ll figure it out tomorrow on how to lift that damn thing without dying.
getting there!!
also suffering from a bum back at the moment too.. getting old sux!!

Finally found a new set of injector nozzles, they come next week. I get so much white smoke in the mornings that people back away from me on the road. Goes away about halfway to work so hopefully driving it 5 more days won’t kill it. I’m not hearing any excessive rattling so it should be good.

Well I was bored and had some white paint laying around. Hopefully it’ll keep the heat down this summer.
3DA36D52-E81C-4C8A-89DF-934D60F0D549.jpeg
B45C1B3F-2023-4E44-8D57-94C41697300E.jpeg

Looking forward to seeing it on the truck.

I replaced all four injector nozzles the other day. Less rattle, runs smoother, bit better torque. But I’m still getting smoke for a few blocks when cold. Scratching my head here.
0EEACFAF-A91C-4BBE-ABAD-E80998C93EA4.jpeg
1F20EF19-C8A5-4539-82A9-ACDFD2DB4751.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom