2L diesel swapped 1986 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Exhaust in video sounds fine. Timing sounds advanced though still? Hard to tell on my phone speaker.
Yeah it might just be the video, I -seat of my pants- timed the pump for low EGTs and good acceleration. Too retarded and it revs too slowly. It doesn't sound too rattly.

is it normal to only get full boost when I'm flooring it? I have to try pretty hard to get above 6 psi. It will go up to 12 but only when it's pinned and you wouldn't want to be doing that for more than a few seconds.

i only get my full 20 psi at the very end of every gear ( standard transmission) its directly proportional to the amount of fuel it gets

you may still have some smaller boost leaks if you feel its to hard to build boost

1000001587.jpg
1000001589.jpg

So since my boost compensator doesn't have a smoke screw -or spring preload screw-, I made one out of a rivet, I'll trim it down and thread in a screw, that way it's somewhat adjustable.

I just took a trip from Kelowna to Vernon to go buy a motorcycle. The truck ran well and comfortably at 80km/h. Definitely can hit 100 on flat ground but I prefer to hold 80 as it's much less stress on the engine. Boost was 1.5psi to 5psi depending on the hill, EGTs were 800-950⁰F around 2700RPM. I still feel like there's more power to get out, a little disappointed in the boost, but I am aware of a really bad exhaust leak at the manifold, so that's probably lowering the boost quite a bit.

I couldn't build more than 6 psi even floored on the way back, not sure what's that's about, yesterday I could hit the 10psi wastegate, maybe it was because of the load today.

I've noticed my EGTs will climb to almost to 1000⁰F in 3rd gear at 3000RPM, the engine didn't feel stressed at all, boost was only 3 psi. Seems like the higher I rev the engine, the higher the EGTs will be, I thought it was the other way around on IDI engines.

I just took a trip from Kelowna to Vernon to go buy a motorcycle. The truck ran well and comfortably at 80km/h. Definitely can hit 100 on flat ground but I prefer to hold 80 as it's much less stress on the engine. Boost was 1.5psi to 5psi depending on the hill, EGTs were 800-950⁰F around 2700RPM. I still feel like there's more power to get out, a little disappointed in the boost, but I am aware of a really bad exhaust leak at the manifold, so that's probably lowering the boost quite a bit.

I couldn't build more than 6 psi even floored on the way back, not sure what's that's about, yesterday I could hit the 10psi wastegate, maybe it was because of the load today.

I've noticed my EGTs will climb to almost to 1000⁰F in 3rd gear at 3000RPM, the engine didn't feel stressed at all, boost was only 3 psi. Seems like the higher I rev the engine, the higher the EGTs will be, I thought it was the other way around on IDI engines.
something is still not all the way there.. the egts are high and the boost is low. your load of the bike on the back should have made the pump throw more fuel and given more boost.. hmmm

something is still not all the way there.. the egts are high and the boost is low. your load of the bike on the back should have made the pump throw more fuel and given more boost.. hmmm
My guess is the exhaust leak.

My guess is the exhaust leak.

Is the leak before or after the turbo? If after, should not make a difference. I know you said back a few pages...just too lazy to look, lol.

But I agree, your turbo should be singing hard when you feed enough fuel for those EGTs. Something is not right.

Is the leak before or after the turbo? If after, should not make a difference. I know you said back a few pages...just too lazy to look, lol.

But I agree, your turbo should be singing hard when you feed enough fuel for those EGTs. Something is not right.
It is before, underneath the flange between cylinder 2 and 3. It's also very possible it's the turbo itself. It has a bit of resistance when I turn it by hand.

It is before, underneath the flange between cylinder 2 and 3. It's also very possible it's the turbo itself. It has a bit of resistance when I turn it by hand.

Ahh, that might be it. It's just an oil journal and should not be hard to turn at all. I've played around with a number of turbos over the years and I don't recall any that had any resistance when spinning by hand.

probably need all the manifold bolts in there eh 😆

but ya resistance is bad in the turbo
both of those things will be holding you back, you need more boost for sure

1000001930.jpg

Well it's not pretty, but I wired in the super glow controller. I wish I could find a connector.
1000001931.jpg

Main relay clicks on for around 5 seconds, then the afterglow kicks in after it fires up. There's no more smoke out the back with the plugs running at half power.

Hopefully the system stays working. Was that the main reason everyone ditches their superglow setup? I don't see any downsides to it.

The extra relay is there so I can manually trigger the main relay. I wired an inline switch to the timer, so I can turn it off and glow manually still, or as a sort of winter only anti-theft.

Loving the afterglow, smooths the winter idle right out. Although, I will be putting in 2 LED indicators so I know when each relay is activated. I noticed with the engine fully warmed up, the relays were still clicking for a few seconds, seems a bit redundant.

I think I may wire the afterglow indicator to this unused dash light above the charge indicator. The picture kinda looks like it would work. And then I don't have to drill into my dash!
1000001919.png

Just wired in two LEDs. Interesting thing I've noted. Upon key on, both relays run at the same time. Then the main relay clicks off and the second relay stays on. Once the engine is running the second relay stays on for almost a minute.

Right now ambient temperature is 0-5⁰C.

Finally pulled the truck out of hibernation and did all the check ups.
PXL_20240314_184007939.jpg

PXL_20240309_203343804.jpg

Drives how it always does, makes okay boost, higher EGTs (750-850F) and doesn't really go anywhere. I've just accepted at this point I will never figure out the problem and it'll always be just a city cruiser.

750-850 is LOW egt's
1250 is max, you have headroom still

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom