Wanted 2H H55 Transmission crossmember (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Putting 2H H55 in my HJ45 Had H engine with bellhousing mounts . Be nice to find frame mounts for 2H and crossmember for H55

Thank You Don

You can use the late 40 series transmission crossmember if you retain the original H bellhousing. If you use a 2H bellhousing, it will clock the transmission by a few degrees and you'll have to modify a late 1985+ 60 series crossmember to work.

Thank You for that info. I am changing the complete engine transmission transfer case as one unit. Information shared tells me the clutch is and upgrade in 2H package.

I like it 62 and still learning Thank You everyone Don

Slightly off topic but I'm hoping a related question/answer:

@Splangy how extensive are the modifications to the post 85 crossmember? I have an aluminum 3B bell housing but I'm putting off using it for now due to the clock of the transmission. I'm going with the cast iron 3B bell housing and the original 40-series crossmember till I can sort out the mounting with the aluminum bell housing.

With the 3B cast iron & aluminum bell housing, there's a different engine plate. Does the 2H bell housing have a different engine plate than the H bell housing?

I can tell you the L brackets for a HJ47 are different than a FJ40. Interesting about it being clocked. I have a 82 FJ40 crossmember and 84 HJ47 crossmember. Thought the center sections were the same. The difference in the frame makes the L brackets different. I also thought there was no difference in the crossmember required since the main case is the same on H41/H42/H55F.

Just check my camera, thought I had taken some photos of the crossmember I have but guess not. Have the one from the FJ40 here but the one from the HJ47 is at another location with my FJ45.

Last edited:
I was thinking the rubber mount and/or the cross member where changed to address the angle of the transmission.

Based upon @Living in the Past it seems like the design change was limited to the L-brackets. Good info

I was thinking the rubber mount and/or the cross member where changed to address the angle of the transmission.

Based upon @Living in the Past it seems like the design change was limited to the L-brackets. Good info

Okay since I'm back on WiFi and not using my cell phone's data did a search and it seems there were changes 10/82. The L brackets and crossmember both changed. But the crossmember still shows the same for all model as long as it in the same date. L brackets show the same for everything but the HJ47 and FJ45 again as long as the date is same, before or after 10/82. But the HJ47 and FJ45 are different than each other.

I bought a H55F from a BJ42 in Australia four months ago still waiting to get. Part of what I'm getting is the crossmember and L brackets. If I ever get it would be interesting to compare the different three different crossmembers and L brackets.

IMG_1954.JPG
IMG_1955.JPG

First picture is of the left side of the frame. This one was fun to remove since had no power and three of the fixed nuts broke the welds in the accident. Other is the right side. Hard to tell but the longer wheel base the frame is still angled up a little at this point. The shorter wheel the frame is horizontal where the L brackets bolt to the frame. The HJ47 is made for that angle.

I can tell you the L brackets for a HJ47 are different than a FJ40. Interesting about it being clocked. I have a 82 FJ40 crossmember and 84 HJ47 crossmember. Thought the center sections were the same. The difference in the frame makes the L brackets different. I also thought there was no difference in the crossmember required since the main case is the same on H41/H42/H55F.

Just check my camera, thought I had taken some photos of the crossmember I have but guess not. Have the one from the FJ40 here but the one from the HJ47 is at another location with my FJ45.

My bad, I assumed he was using a later 2H from a 60 series which would have the clocked bellhousing. 40's did not.

My bad, I assumed he was using a later 2H from a 60 series which would have the clocked bellhousing. 40's did not.

That is a good point. Guess it depends on which 2H bellhousing he has. Never thought about that aspect. Guess if I every decide to go diesel I have the correct bellhousing for a 2H to go in the 4X series.

From reviewing some of the diesel conversions and even the 3F bell housing manual swap; the transmission is "clocked". Most are just welding something to compensate, some are just fudging it. I'm trying to figure out if Toyota made a plug & play part(s) that addresses this or can this(these) part(s) be modified for other series cruisers.

Maybe someone with a later BJ60 w/aluminum bell housing can chime. I'm curious how the transmission is mounted with the clocked 5-speed.

Last edited:
Finally found my 84 HJ47RV crossmember to compare to the one from a 83 BJ42RV

HJ47 on the left
IMG_2774.JPG

HJ47 on the left again
IMG_2776.JPG

HJ47 on the bottom

IMG_2775.JPG

Compared to the the 40/42 series the 45/47 L brackets are shorter. Frame where it mounts is at a different angle. It is also not as wide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom