2F WOES (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First it was bad gas, then the bad spark plugs, then it was just the front 3 cylinders( probably just the front two) So we did a compression test on my neighbor's 84 fj 60 w/ 200k. #1-60lbs :(, #2-45lbs :(, #3-135lbs, #4-150lbs,#5-150lbs, #6-145lbs. When I put a plug back into #2 the compression on #1 was 40lbs. I am guessing it is the head gasket, but could a valve be burnt? Doesn't seem to be loosing oil or coolant. When I used to own this rig the front two jugs had 135 to 150 lbs each. At one time this vehicle was stored improperly for a winter and had some rust inside the motor and I imagine it ate up the rings when it was run again. What do y'all think?

Have you tried to put a few shots of oil in the front cylinders to see what happens? This could verify your valve/ring issue, or you could pull the rocker cover, and verify that the front two cylinders valves all travle through the same range of motion compared to the other cylinders when it is running...Don't worry, even at 1500 RPMS you will not get an oil bath...

Good luck!

-Steve

If its a valve, you're going to have to pull it...
If its the head gasket, you're going to have to pull it...

Bottom line is... you're going to have to pull the head anyways, so pull it and give it a look. ;)

NO I DON'T have to pull it, but I probably will help. Who is a good dealer to get good prices on gaskets? I always get hosed locally. If we have good oil pressure should we go ahead and put in some new rings to go with the fresh head or is that asking for trouble?

Go Toyota, and PM Cdan out here....

Good luck!

-Steve

[quote author=Kief link=board=1;threadid=12977;start=msg119765#msg119765 date=1079062284]
Who is a good dealer to get good prices on gaskets? I always get hosed locally. [/quote]

I would go OEM Toyota or Fel-Pro gaskets,the Fel-Pro are a bit cheaper and just as nice as the Toyota, I could source them locally through Advance auto parts.

I would try the oil in the cylinders first just to help you figure out what is going on.

Drew <><

Do the wet test. If it is his rings, he'll want to know. Your guess that it is the valves seems likely, but it is just a guess until you do the whole process. Wet test is easier than pulling the head, so get the info.

I agree with going OEM Toyota head gasket when you get there, and I am sure CDan would be happy to help if you ask. No personal experience with FelPro, but I have read of disappointments.

Good insight, I actually have found that my local parts stores aren't consistently cheaper than toyota on certain things and I know that my local toyota dealer is usually pretty high. I will check with Cdan. Probably will get all the gaskets considering the mileage and if I have head problems I think I know where a couple 2f heads are in good shape. Thanks, Kief.

Unless you have two burned or stuck valves or just two completely toasted from rings, I would bet you blew the head gasket. Were the plugs on number 1 and 2 covered in oil? Normally bad rings= oil smoke and you are not seeing that. Like poser said, make sure the valvetrain is operating the way it should and a valve isnt stuck open.. drop some oil in the cyliders to see if the compression comes up at all.. if it doesnt, I would bet head gasket. Pull the head, and you will get a good look at the valves while you are in there!

Good luck.

Mike

Kief-

You figured anything out on this mess yet?

Nope, spent the day finishing up some concrete forms for the addition,(Kid #3 is on the way). I emailed my neighbor this link and haven't heard back from him. If he wants my help he's got it. For some reason I like tearing stuff apart. I am curious as to what kind of shape the cylinders are in. The people I bought this rig from worked it hard- they had a mine claim down on the Klamath river, used it to pull a big 8" dredge, and stored it for a winter all tarped up, that is when the I theorized it got rusty. They also had one of those stainless steel "System One" oil filters, I don't know that would have a factor in this. I did repair, then replace the radiator, and then replace the replacements twice till I went with a recore vs. generic. I figure that if the head gasket went it was a result of improper coolant maintenance way back as the current owner keeps up on this stuff. I will keep you updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom