2F to 2H swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We got the 2H in today, John and I were surprised how little fight it gave us : ) it was like it wanted a new home! Brackets relocated and welded, no real problems.... pics to follow and of course, I have to finish gutting the FJ wiring harness and install the 24V stuff...

that is quite cool : )

There must be a parallel universe between FL and PA.... and you gotta love wiring! I need that AC bracket!

Freakin cool. I havnt been on mud a whole lot and have no idea how I missed this thread. I am going to have to drop in from time to time to see whats going on...

Tell Dom I said "Hi" next time you see him

Thanks for the PM...

-Al:beer:

Freakin cool. I havnt been on mud a whole lot and have no idea how I missed this thread. I am going to have to drop in from time to time to see whats going on...

Tell Dom I said "Hi" next time you see him

Thanks for the PM...

-Al:beer:

what ya cant say Hi to me Al?;p...i heard you're coming up after christmas?...dom's buggy should be ready to wheel then:cool:

and yeah like jeff said the 2h slid in there without too much trouble, considering how heavy that thing is, im still getting used to maneuvering these big heavy engines:flipoff2:

im kinda tired of workin for the night...ill go out and get the camera so i can upload the pics from today and yesterday...stay tuned!:beer:

pics -

DSC01271.JPG

DSC01270.JPG

DSC01278.JPG

DSC01279.JPG

DSC01280.JPG

DSC01284.JPG

DSC01289.JPG

DSC01291.JPG

DSC01292_%282%29.JPG

- sitting on the mounts!:D

DSC01273.JPG

- i guess jeff liked this bug?:confused:;p

after we got it in and cleaned up all the extra parts, we put the hood on and pushed it back outside, tomorrow we'll load it up on the dolley and take it back to jeff's house so he can finish the wiring and reassembly without having to come out here

this thing is gonna be cool:cool: ...jeff we should have a race...you're n/a diesel against the n/a 7.3 idi;p

Very cool...

Hey Jon...:flipoff2:

We are gonna have to wheel when I come up for the holidays...Progress looks good. Not use to moving a motor that weighs 3 times as much a zuk motor huh?:D
See ya soon man...

I just found this thread. I have a 2H in a 75 FJ40. I fabbed my own motor mounts and modified the HJ60 crossmember. I got a 12v starter and alternator from OZ. I was bound and determined to get the edic to work and after about 25 hours I gave up. I bought a cable from controlcables.com. WAY SIMPLE!!! push for enrich, pull for shutoff. I used a ford starter solenoid and a spring loaded toggle on the dash for the glowplugs. very simple, 10 seconds and it starts right up. I also put in 9.6 volt glowplugs so it heats up quick. I have the H55 with 3.70 gears and 33's. It goes good. I was going to put on a turbo but there is not enough room with the mini truck power steering box. Ebay Australia, privateparts4wd, has a starter listed now.(I got my stuff from him) GOOD LUCK!!

Very cool...

Hey Jon...:flipoff2:

We are gonna have to wheel when I come up for the holidays...Progress looks good. Not use to moving a motor that weighs 3 times as much a zuk motor huh?:D
See ya soon man...

well ive been moving dom's 22re around, thats double a zuk engine...but still not even half the weight of a 2f or 2h;p....although with the tranny and tcases bolted up to it, it wasnt quite easy to drop into his rig

yeah we'll definitely have to do some wheelin...maybe dom will even let ya roll his rig:grinpimp:

well ive been moving dom's 22re around, thats double a zuk engine...but still not even half the weight of a 2f or 2h;p....although with the tranny and tcases bolted up to it, it wasnt quite easy to drop into his rig

yeah we'll definitely have to do some wheelin...maybe dom will even let ya roll his rig:grinpimp:

Agreed, Will be looking forward to it.

Last time I drove it the door fell off:D

I just finished putting a 2H Diesel into my FJ40 last night which did have a 2F in it to start with, the build thread is:-

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=173333

Your install looks great, keep going, it make life interesting when one is given a challenge.

Wayneraintree,

It looks like the mounts turned into a non-issue. By your photos it appears that the frame tabs for the diesel motor fit right where the gas frame tabs were ground off. Is that so? Also, how were your used mounts compared to the aftermarket new? Was there appreciable difference, other than being clean and shiney?

Rick

Wayneraintree,

It looks like the mounts turned into a non-issue. By your photos it appears that the frame tabs for the diesel motor fit right where the gas frame tabs were ground off. Is that so? Also, how were your used mounts compared to the aftermarket new? Was there appreciable difference, other than being clean and shiney?

Rick

since jeff(wayneraintree) isnt on right now i'll answer for him...

the pass. frame bracket ended up being slightly further back on frame for the diesel, maybe an inch?....the driver's side was quite a few inches back, the front of the mount was like 3" behind the top, rear steering box bolt, compared to the gas that was in between the steering box bolts

the new rubber mounts looked identical to me, just new looking;p

What he said:lol:

We cut the brackets off the HJ frame rails, cleaned up/removed the FJ mounts on the FJ frame, and then bolted the new motor mounts, 2H arms to the block, the little stands under the mounts, as well as the brackets to the frame... then slid the entire assembly onto the tranny, lowered the tranny to rest, and the bracket assembly laid nicely on the frame rails, tacked them, then burned them into the frame.

The top corner of the driver side bracket (off the HJ framerail) was 3 and 1/4" from the center of the top, nearest steering box bolt for RHD. As John stated, this is slightly back towards the firewall. The top of the passenger side bracket was 2" from the trailing edge of the top, nearest steering box mounting hole in the frame, which was quite a bit back from the 2F mounts.

I would say since the HJ that provided the 2H. etc. merely had 87K KM's on it... the fact that I used new engine mounts was negligible. This is a subjective variable of the swap, could need 'em, could not depending:beer:

All I did today was get together the steering lines, rear center/console heater (FJ is under pass seat so this differs), idle up knob for the diesel, and various other parts from the HJ. I returned the dolly I borrowed (thanks Gary!:beer:)

Looks like I have two straight days of freetime... I am optimistic I can pull the FJ harness and install the HJ along with a few other items this weekend.. stay tuned:popcorn:

Wayneraintree and zucruisers,

Thanks to you both for informing us all. I am actively pursuing the same swap. Your generosity with details is appreciated! Also, good job on snatching that donor truck. I wanted it bad but the CFO wasn't agreeable to discussing another project. :crybaby: Please continue to photo document the process and detail the obstacles and fixes you create. Best regards.

presently, I pulled the FJ harness front to back and am switching the blower motor, etc. then will start adding the HJ harness. Fun as fun can be : )

Anyone have a 2H A/C bracket, 24V windshield spray motor, and 24V rear side marker lights?

Ill have to check this out in o say 2 months or so ;)

I finished installing the 2H wiring harness from the rear to the firewall with a few loose ends to button up...

tomorrow is the engine bay and few other small projects. It is definately work to do this swap but it is fun and not too hard, just tedious wiring!
Thanks to In2 for the hints along the way:

-wiper switch must be from the 2H
-ignition switch can be 2F
-all heater relays and such must be swapped to 2H
-Wiper motors from and rear along with relays must be 2H (though my donor was a barndoor so I don't have the rear wiper motor : ( ) anyone got one?

Last edited:
Boy, you guys really know your stuff... where did you learn all this? :rolleyes: :grinpimp: :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom