2F to 2H swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am running H55F and 3.7 gearing and 31's with the super 2F... 12MPG's on the highway, 10 MPG in city. I expected it but feel like the 2H will double the MPG's as well as allow me to experiment with WVO and BIO.

The super 2F is the greatest motor for a primary trail vehicle, loads of torque and HP, along with reliability. I would never knock it... the 60 series shown above is an expedition/daily driver... MPG's are more important than performance, hence my choice.

I'll definately document the progress on the thread along with feedback on the swap....

for the record, left and right engine mounts are 59.99 ea. USD from SOR for the 2H.

the H55F has a .85 overdrive...so 15%??

I never took overdrive into account as I use it so rarely. I have noticed about a 20 percent difference between a 2H with H55 and a 2H with A440 though. I guess it would be relatively the same between a 3F-E with A440 and 3F-E with H55.

I expected it but feel like the 2H will double the MPG's as well as allow me to experiment with WVO and BIO.

the 60 series shown above is an expedition/daily driver... MPG's are more important than performance, hence my choice.

That's the direction I want to take my 55. Thanks for the info. Following this thread intently!!

Hey there,

I ordered two front engine mounts for the 2H. SOR shows a rear mount which looks similar to the 2F. Can I use an existing rear mount, either from the HJ or FJ or is it recommended to buy a new rear mount?

SOR LINK

The HJ is being delivered to my buddy's house today:beer: I should get over there this week to drive it and formulate a plan to convert the FJ to HJ:beer:

Anyone have any recommended approaches? pull the motors, install the 2H with new mounts, pull both harnesses lay them side by side, install all the ancillaries from the Hj to the FJ and plug it all in, swap the filler neck and fuel lines, deal with the exhaust? (off the top of my head:cheers:)

I figured you'd be waiting there when the hj arrives :)

get to it!!!

bk

All landcruisers engines come in LH and RH configurations so they should have good clearance in any cruiser.MY guess is your springs are a bit soft and sagging.
You havent installed the engine lower than it should be?
How so? I have a 2H from Australia and a 2H from Canada, and there is no difference in configuration at all. Same for what I have seen with the B series engines. I used to think that there was a difference in configuration due to LHD/RHD issues, especially when considering the convoluted exhaust pipe routing, for example, with the 3B in a 60 series application, but after examining trucks from various parts of the world, I can see that the LHD/RHD issue affects the following:

-location of sedimenter and vacuum reservoir
-routing of exhaust pipe along the underside of the body
-routing of brake and clutch hydraulics
-wiring looms are set up totally differently
-heat shielding is differently arranged

I'm not trying to list every difference, just the main ones as relate to the engine bay set up.

I'm also not sure what people are talking about in regards to staggered engine mountings. Both 2H engines I own have the mounts on both left and right sides of the block up at the front (for application in a 47 series). There is, however, an extra set of mounting holes on the left side of the engine about midway along, so perhaps that gives two positions for an engine mount?

HJ60 is HERE!!!!!

OK Jeff- Koerner is correct- get to it!!!! The HJ is here in Brockton awaiting your arrival......Gary S

Hi, if you wish to put a 2H out of a HJ60 or HJ75 into an FJ40 and the FJ40 is a pre 78 model (which means the engine mounts are right up the front on the chasis) you need to get hold of the engine brackets from a HJ45 or HJ47 that had a 2H in it from around 1980 to 1984. You will notice that on these older engine brackets the locating pin for the engine mounts is set at around 1:00 o'clock whereas on the new ones they are at 12:00 o'clock, also these newer engine brackets angles are all wrong and the engine will sit to low. So you also need to buy HJ45 or 47 engine mounts to match. You also loose one bolt that holds the PS pump where it mounts on the engine bracket but that no big deal.

Also you need to get the gearbox cross member mount from a Hj45 or HJ47 as well which bolts onto the chasis, you can get away with using the 60 series cross member but the side arms of the brackets are a little higher but they are usable

So the change over involves a 2H motor, the older style engine brackets from a HJ45 or 47, engine mounts to match, 2H bell housing and the 4 speed gearbox to match as well as that cross member.

You also need to change the radiator, now this is where it starts to get a tight fit, don't use a 4 core radiator, use a 3 and set it as far forward in its housing as you can as the newer 2H motors have a tripple harmonic balancer and a clutch fan.

If you don't keep the motor as far forward as you can it will hit the firewall, so your install has to be the same as the 2H in a original HJ45 or HJ47.

One more thing, try to get the wiring harness from a HJ45 or HJ47 it will make your install a lot easier as well.

If you use the above there is no welding or cutting involved and your install will be original, that is to say the same as a HJ45 or HJ47 as they came out with 2h motors.

PS. If your FJ40 is a later model and your chasis engine mounts are not right up the front and you need to cut and weld make sure the engine does not hit the firewall because that is where you need to start from.

Thanks for the info...

the conversion involves a 2H and wiring harness, accessories from a Canada spec HJ-60 into an '87 FJ-60.

I will get started on it in a week or two... waiting for a block of freetime!

How so? I have a 2H from Australia and a 2H from Canada, and there is no difference in configuration at all.

Looking back I didnt explain it properly. I should have said the engines suit L and Rh configurations.
The original post said that his was hanging too low because it was from a RHD vehicle.

Might be onto something there. My 2H hangs quite low in my FJ, had to put longer bumpstops in to keep the lower components of the engine from smashing into the front axle when I hit a big bump in the road. Fooled around with different motor mounts, but since the transmission is pretty fixed in place, it seemed to make the engine really unlevel.
Hope all is going well with the swap.

You need to get the 2H engine brackets from a HJ45 or HJ47 (1980 -1984), they lift the motor up higher.

So why dont the HJ60 mounts work? I dont disbelieve the HJ4* mounts lift it higher but the HJ60 mounts worked fine in a 60:confused:

The chassis in a 60 series is different, the engine brackets are straighter on the 2H motor for the HJ45 & HJ47 which lifts the motor up. From the firewall forward in a FJ40 the engine bay & chassis rails are the same as a HJ45 & HJ47, they all use the same gaurds, bonnet, grill etc. Only the radiator is different due the water pump outlets.

The fan clutch & fan assembly is a little longer on 2H motor from a 60 or 75 series because they have PS pump (triple harmonic balancer) whereas the HJ45 & HJ47 did not come with PS, this is why you have to move the radiator forward about 1" or so.

If you try to use the clutch fan fron a HJ45 or HJ47, the fan blades hit the harmonic balancer so you have to use the fan clutch from the 60 series. You can use a electric fan to overcome this but it is still a tight fit.

Hope this makes sence.

project started

So my friend John and I started the conversion Friday AM... in 12 hours of work, we pulled the 2F from the 60, pulled the 2H from the HJ and then moved the empty FJ and 2H along with other parts to our town. We were working in the nice confines of Smukster's shop about an hour and a half away from my house. Nice to have the project close now... Thanks for the shop time Gary!

I went back Sat and put in another 12 hours.... pulled the entire HJ's wiring harness from front to back along with every 24V component except I still need to get the rear heater and a couple other items need dispositioned as to whether or not I have to use them (fuel guage sender, main heater core assembly, one or two others)...

Overall, it is pretty much like I expected... lots of time. When I first decided to do this conversion, I thought I could have it all back in running in a few days but that is only if I did a hybrid harness, kept all the wiring 12V, etc. Since I decided I have mroe time than money, I am making the entire conversion to 24V which obviously takes alot more time but I did not have to buy converters, starters, alternators, glow plugs, etc.

Now I need to pull the entire FJ's harness and install the HJ's, get the engine mount brackets (cut from the frame of the HJ) and new mounts from SOR installed so the 2H can be installed, clean up and prep the engine bay, etc. and address some issues with parts too rusty to reuse, like power steering lines, OE fuel filter, etc.

I took some pics but nothing of interest really:popcorn:

pics

Most of the pics were for documenting but here are a couple I liked:)

2hswap00002.jpg

2hswap00001.jpg

2hswap000011.jpg

Inverter for radio (has two 12V sources)

2hswap000012.jpg

Oh, and one of Dom's cruiser axled/Sami bodied/minitruck doubled driveline truggy thingamabob:grinpimp:

2hswap00003.jpg

More to come tomorrow, have an entire day to rewire:popcorn:

thingamabob??...thats all you could come up with?;p

so what if dom's rig is a mixture of samurai/fj60/fj40/4runner/minitruck/suburban/and some tube:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom