2F to 2H swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The rubber part or the actual metal mount? I believe the FJ and HJ mounts (the part welded to the frame) are different.

As far as the mounts (RUBBER)....if you deside to buy new....I beleve Marv. had the best price. (You can try C-Dan)

Now the frame tabs (or frame mounts (metal) I used a angle grinder w/a cuy off blade and cut the HJ tabs from the frame (truck was a donor so I cut into the frame to save as much as I could and cleaned them up). Then had a moble welder come cut off the FJ tabs w/cutting torch and weld in the HJs.

Never checked with dealer to see if OEM HJ tabs were available.

And for an FYI

The (LT) or drivers side motor mount on the HJ is just below the first steering knuckle (from the box)

Although, I must say most people would call me crazy because under the hood is a hopped up 2F rebuilt by a guru, Jim C:lol: I just figured this is the right place to post : )

If I was anywhere near Pennsylvania I would be very interested in your motor, as long as jim c. is Jim Chenoweth that is.

Good luck with the swap. I am in the early planning stages of a similar swap, but if I had that motor I would probably not touch a thing.

"THE" Jim C. : )

Actually, the motor is going in a nice piggie owned by a friend.
It is an easy decision for me to do the swap. My 60 is not my primary trail vehicle so on-road performance is 10X more important than offroad with this rig. I need mileage and alternatives to petrol.. in my mind, daily driving a 10-12MPG rig is not acceptable.

what a tough decision...stick with the Jim C. super motor or run an oil burner...i wish I had to make a decision like that :)

bk

on road performance...have you ever driven a 2H?
speed is NOT one of it best features BUT add a turbo and it pulls nice, real nice...maybe budget for the addition...

on-road performance does not equate to speed for me... so I guess I meant on-road adequacy : )

I do plan a turbo in the future as I know the 2H is not a great engine out of the box for high speed.

I am running 3.70's and 31" tires... think the 2H will be in a good RPM range for 65 MPH?

on-road performance does not equate to speed for me... so I guess I meant on-road adequacy : )

I do plan a turbo in the future as I know the 2H is not a great engine out of the box for high speed.

I am running 3.70's and 31" tires... think the 2H will be in a good RPM range for 65 MPH?

I ll think it will do that ok.
Where the non turbo 2H falls down on performance is on highways where a slower vehicle ,like a semi trailer,is doing 10 kph slower than you.
You either need a very long straight where you can overtake safely,or you stay there and eat his diesel fumes.

"THE" Jim C. : )

Actually, the motor is going in a nice piggie owned by a friend.
It is an easy decision for me to do the swap. My 60 is not my primary trail vehicle so on-road performance is 10X more important than offroad with this rig. I need mileage and alternatives to petrol.. in my mind, daily driving a 10-12MPG rig is not acceptable.

The 2H is not that much of a dog.....not any more than a tired 2F....except maybe in the hills.
We just dropped a Turbo-Glide Turbo into my FJ/HJ-60 a week ago. Have not turned up the fuel yet (no pyro) but the differance is already very noticable...faster acel., less shifting for hills, and think Im getting better MPG...though I haven't sat down to run the numbers. Its just whats needed to make a 2H perfect (IMO)

Just took my new (H)FJ on a quick shakedown cruise from Nevada to Boston. I didn't think it drove that much differently than the old 2F did. We def had to move the motor mounts around, alot. Also, my 2H hangs quite a bit lower than the 2F, so some of the accesories like power steering pump are WAY close to the front axle. So, we had to weld in a stop, so if it hit a big bump the axle wouldn't smash the pump off. Sigh, now we are looking into a lift kit to get the motor away from the axle. Maybe this is because the motor came out of a right hand drive, into a left hander?

If you are looking for petrol alternatives, try Waste Vegetable Oil! I had good luck with www.greasecar.com

Maybe this is because the motor came out of a right hand drive, into a left hander?

All landcruisers engines come in LH and RH configurations so they should have good clearance in any cruiser.MY guess is your springs are a bit soft and sagging.
You havent installed the engine lower than it should be?

Last edited:
Deja Vu...

I have been thinking about how nice it would be to have a Jim C 2F in my piggie over the last couple of days (many hours reading through the archives), but you are right 10-12 mpg for DD is pretty harsh. I'm very interested to see how you like the swap and your feelings of an on-road comparsion between old and new engines.

Deja Vu...

I have been thinking about how nice it would be to have a Jim C 2F in my piggie over the last couple of days (many hours reading through the archives), but you are right 10-12 mpg for DD is pretty harsh. I'm very interested to see how you like the swap and your feelings of an on-road comparsion between old and new engines.

H55F, 3.7 gearing might help in that scenerio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom