2F to 2H swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there,

I recently acquired rights to a complete 87' HJ-60.

Here is the for sale thread.

HJ is 24 volt. I have access to everything diesel specific on the rig. I do not have access to the 5-speed, axles or t-case.

My '87 FJ-60 has an H55F 5-speed.

I've read threads and searched and am in contact with two board members who are helping me along the way (thanks Tarpage and Andre:beer:) with information.

Anyone point me to a write up on the swap? I can't find where someone has documented the details on the following:

* Movement of the engine mounts (should not be too bad, I plan to use the HJ mounts and on the FJ frame)

* 24V to 12V (my options as I see are source 12V accessories or run 24V in the 60 and use converters for the 12V ancillaries?) The HJ-60 has a converter for the 12V stereo so I would need to buy a second. EDIC has to be 12V?

* convert to 12V alternator and get an independent vaccum pump.. I am wondering if it is a big issue if I decide to stock HJ alternator.. if the H alternator (24V) goes out, I am dead in the water with no charge and no brakes?

Any direction, advice, or references is greatly appreciated:beer:

The scenario is my 60 is the daily driver so my goal is to make the swap as quick as possible while still doing it correctly:popcorn: Should be interesting:D

I would try and get all 12v parts for the 2H . Save a lot of headaches in the long run.
You do know you can get a 2H 12V alternator with vac pump?

For the engine mount brackets ,bolt them to the engine with the gearbox bolted in.
Lower the engine until the mounts are sitting where they were on the donor vehicle.

As far as I have read on the subject, the engine mounts do not have to be moved for the 2h to fit the fj60 as the f series engines and the h series engines have the same mounting pattern. Have been looking into dropping one into my fj40 and turboing it:).

On a side note if your fj60 doesn't have the hj60's ambulance doors I would find a way to convert it out with them. They are COOL:D!

Good Day!

Josh

I would try and get all 12v parts for the 2H . Save a lot of headaches in the long run.
You do know you can get a 2H 12V alternator with vac pump?

For the engine mount brackets ,bolt them to the engine with the gearbox bolted in.
Lower the engine until the mounts are sitting where they were on the donor vehicle.

Yes, I am working to get a 12V alt. with pump along with a starter that is 12V... I am under the impression it is recommended to keep it 12V and just source the parts from locales where Hj's are 12V.

Thanks for the advice on the motor mounts, that is the method I was thinking:)

Hey Josh, I did read that the motor mounts are located differently... I'll try to verify that...

Will the tach signal and EDIC run on 12V? Should I pull the guage cluster? What other things do I need to consider other than the glow plugs, alt., starter?

Also, I do love the ambi doors but the utility of a gate is more suited to my use... plus the entire rear opening would have to be grafted onto the FJ.

Dude keep me posted on this thread. I am wanting to do a diesel conversion on 85 FJ60 also. With the same engine set-up also.
J-

Will do, I plan to keep the thread going since it does appear to be a reltively practical swap..... hoping to gather all the bits of info here as a reference..

I am sure the doors will find a home. I am not one to junk worthy parts : )

Visual aid...

6000001.jpg

Although, I must say most people would call me crazy because under the hood is a hopped up 2F rebuilt by a guru, Jim C:lol: I just figured this is the right place to post : )

As far as I have read on the subject, the engine mounts do not have to be moved for the 2h to fit the fj60 as the f series engines and the h series engines have the same mounting pattern. Have been looking into dropping one into my fj40 and turboing it:).

On a side note if your fj60 doesn't have the hj60's ambulance doors I would find a way to convert it out with them. They are COOL:D!

Good Day!

Josh

I am afraid you are incorrect about the mounts..they are quite different while the (rt) or passengers side only has to be moved back a couple inches the (lt) or drivers side goes back about a foot the FJ mounts are in the front portion of the motor the HJs try to balance the weight with one mount sort of forward and one half way back on the block. And would suggest going with new HJ mounts...Marv has them for a decient price.

C

My friend is parting out the HJ other than the diesel stuff... and the axles are already sold...

I will not be adding a turbo right away since I am not at elevation and am simply looking for mileage and alternative fuel options from this swap.

In2: new mounts? just curious as to why, with 170K Kilometers, would the stock ones be worn?

I am thinking hard about just pulling the entire harness and swapping in the 24V set up from the HJ... at least I know it is complete and won't be a hybrid 24/12 for trouble shooting...

In2: new mounts? just curious as to why, with 170K Kilometers, would the stock ones be worn?

Did not see that it only had 170k but still sometimes they dont survive the swap..........your call

I am thinking hard about just pulling the entire harness and swapping in the 24V set up from the HJ... at least I know it is complete and won't be a hybrid 24/12 for trouble shooting...

I would go with the harness and keep her 24v, as I did. Tag everything as you pull the harnesses. I used a SILVER sharpy pen. (still find tags now and then) As long as the harness is in good condition you should have little problems. The inner fenderwells are different between the HJ and FJ. so some of the mounts will not be there on the FJ for mounting things like the PS res. and the Vac res. Take your time...put them side by side...you will see the differances....though slight there are quite a few. And dont forget you have to swap blower motors, fuel sending unit, front and back WW motors all relays all inst. (speedo are same just need to swap bulbs 24v)AND dont forget to swap Fuel down pipe.....first time you go to fuel her the diesel spout will not fit in the unleaded one

Good luck.....welcome to PM me with any questions

The consensus I have been given is that the FJ62's 3F and 3FE motor mount locations are the same as the 2H. But the cross memebr has to be moved forward for a manual transmission. Is the 62 different from the 60 regarding the motor mounts???

The consensus I have been given is that the FJ62's 3F and 3FE motor mount locations are the same as the 2H. But the cross memebr has to be moved forward for a manual transmission. Is the 62 different from the 60 regarding the motor mounts???

X's 2 I am super curious if the FJ60 engine moints in the same position as the HJ60?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom