2F replacing an F - lots of questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am almost finished replacing my old tired F (1970) with a recently rebuilt 2F (1975), but have a few questions.

1) The gas pedal on my 1970 has a throttle cable which hooks right into the carb. However, on the 1975, it looks like the gas pedal is quite a bit different and it is hooked to the carb with a bunch of linkage deals that I do not have. Is there an easy way to hook the cable up, or do I need to order new linkages & pedal from a '75?

2)The 2F carb has a two gas lines, one in and one out, I am assuming an overflow or return?? &nbsp:Does the second line dump back into the gas tank? or can I plug it?

3)I am using the starter from the F, but it has a real hard time turning the engine over. It worked fine with the F, but does not seem to have enough power to turn the 2F. The battery is brand new. &nbsp:Do I need a newer starter?

4) What does the carb solenoid hook up to? (yeah, I know its a dumb question)

5) I will not be needing the emissions stuff on the 2F, is there a good reference out there that shows how to bypass it?

Thanks.

Just finishing up something similar, mines a '79 2F.
1) I ended up using all the 2F linkage.
2) mine had a return line from the fuel pump, I ran another line back to the tank
3) starter could use a rebuild, old F could have had low compression, easy to turn over, or replace starter
4) take the solenoid out and I cut the end off, then cut the wires, screw it back in
5) I took everything off except the EGR, so as not to burn up the exhaust vavles. The air rail took 1/4"NPT brass plugs(use the ones with the recessed allen head) plug off all non-necessary vacumn lines.
Good Luck

1-4) what he said. (But one thing to note is that the starters on F engines are not the "gear reduction" starters that the 2Fs have, so it just may not be powerful enough. You can probably find a good used one for $25-50)
5) Use this website for the de-smog if you get stuck. It's for a 2F in an '84 FJ60, but it should be similar to what you would have and may help you out a bit...
http://mtnmantis.cruiserpages.com/desmog/

3) a late model gear reduction starter is money well spent, especially on a tight fresh rebuild.

4) Solenoid is hooked to switched 12vdc. Get it at the hot side of the ignition coil. Without it I don't see how it's gonna idle right. That sol shuts down the idle circuit when the key is turned off, elimates run on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom