2F Replacement Suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All-

I have just completed the restoration of my 78 FJ40. The truck came out BEAUTIFUL. at this point the engine and all mechanical are 100% original, and running excellent. I am a realist, and know that the I will out live my 2F, and want to throw it out there to see what the suggestions would be for replacing the engine when the day comes. I would rather take my time and find one now, and just mothball it until I need it than try to get whatever is available at the time..

My needs. More power, the 2F is sort of a dog at higher speeds. I like the low end torque, but the only 4wheeling I do is in the snow when the roads are bad. I have no need for something that is more suitable for crawling or mudding. The truck is really more just for my summer ride than anything else. What engine gives you the most bang for your buck? 350SB? Also, it would be nice to have a 5 speed...

Last edited:
Here is the after.
now40.jpg

It's a beauty.

Keep the 2F. Stay under 3000 RPM.

Learn to love the right lane.

Seriously.

I wasn't aware that the 2F could be converted to Fuel Injection.. Is this pricey? How much more power could I expect with Headers?

Last edited:
according to something i read a 10-15% hp increase for headers. im trying to find out what kind i am wanting to put on my 40.

as far as fuel injection do a search on google, can't remember but i believe 2 companies offer it that i have seen. its kinda pricey about 1500 for everything i believe. i think there are other options, let someone chime in on it with more knowledge with these engines.

That thing is WAAAAY too nice to bastardize with a Chevy or any other engine for that matter...

Mark at MarksOffroad.net is the guy you need to call. He has the down low on the best headers and can work wonders with your carb and would be the go to guy for that project.

Who did the resto work? Where are you located?

Oh yeah...welcome to 'MUD :flipoff2:

according to something i read a 10-15% hp increase for headers. im trying to find out what kind i am wanting to put on my 40.

as far as fuel injection do a search on google, can't remember but i believe 2 companies offer it that i have seen. its kinda pricey about 1500 for everything i believe. i think there are other options, let someone chime in on it with more knowledge with these engines.

Headers:

While you might experience a 10% increase in power at high RPM, at the usual RPMs of a 2F, you won't even notice a header. I have the smog legal one from Downey, and while it's a decent well made unit, it does not make any difference in the power output of the motor. I got it to replace the rusted out stock exhaust manifold, not to make more power. If you need to pass smog, this is the only option other than stock.

An FJ40s game is not high speed, regardless of motor. The motor can make it go as fast as the chassis can handle. It's a short wheelbase high COG truck with borderline brakes, and lousy stock steering. How fast do you really want to go? I can go about 65mph at 3000 rpm and that's about the max I'd recommend.

Downey sells a fuel injection conversion, or you could swap in a 3FE if you must, but stay with the simplicity of the 2F. Maybe desmog it if you are in a state with no inspections. That cleans up the motor, but does not result in much more power.

Thanks. I live in Wisconsin, so the smog is not an issue. I do know that the orig owner also from Wi drove it to San Diego and lived for a few years, so maybe it was smogged then?? I don't even know what to look for to see if it is smogged? I know it has an INSANE amount of vacuum hoses....
engine.jpg

someone please explain the smogging thing to me...Since mine does not look "desmogged" does that mean that it is smogged? Is that bad/neccessaary? I live in Door County

The "smog" equipment was for suppposed better emission control. Most 40 owners that don't live in an area with strict emission testing remove or have had it removed by the PO.

So the air pump, air rail, associated vacuum lines are all part of this.

Is it necessary? Probably not where you live.

Is it bad? That will be up for argument for sure.

Yours at least has all of the stock smog equiptment. That's a good thing. If it works and does not cause problems, I would leave it alone. You will not get more usable power with a desmog. Further a desmog will lower the value and make it impossible to sell to someone in a smog state.

However, if you seize the smog pump or the ABV stops working , then a full desmog removes all of the smog equiptment and makes the motor more logical and easier to work on. To do it right will require a carb rebuild and changing the advance curve of your distributor.

If it's running well, don't mess with it.

OK. Got it. Thanks. If you haven't been clued in on it, I am really not the mechanical type. Unfortunately I have an easier time writing a check than earning it. Right now it runs great. At idle, it can sometimes seem a little lean, but after warming up, there is never a problem.

I guess my next question is if I am going to keep the stock engine running as well as it is, what are the preferred upgrades for 2F owners. I would like to improve on what is there to add a little performance... Right now the exhaust is shot, so this might be a good time to look at a set of headers???

The best money you can spend is a full tune up, new sparks, new wires, and a carb rebuild from JimC in Ohio. Keep the stock exhaust manifold if it doesn't leak or cause other problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom