2f motor issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well all the advice worked, I got the motor moving and doesn't seem to be any major grinding or parts not wanting to move throughout the entire stroke of the pistons. What would you guys recommend for a rebuild kit or would you just recommend buying the pieces separate ? Thanks a bunch !!

Did I miss something? Last I see in the thread is that you got engine to turn without noticeable issues... to me next step is go ahead and try to run vs jumping right to ordering potentially unnecessary rebuild parts?

@erics If main and rod bearings are run dry, you might get the engine to turn again, but they will have gouges that run along their surfaces from the galling of touching surfaces. It might lead to 'rod knock' if left unfixed. Seizure is no more than it being too hard for the starter to crank, which is when the towel is usually thrown in. They call it 'spun bearings' in shop talk. It is best to address it, but I don't know if you could limp a Cruiser to the end of the trail, if needed. However, that is all based on the assumption that the distributor was actually disengaged from the oil pump, based on the story at the time of sale.

On other engines, the gear is on the oil pump, instead of the distributor, so if you mess up re-installation of the distributor, it is likely that you still have oil pressure.

@erics If main and rod bearings are run dry, you might get the engine to turn again, but they will have gouges that run along their surfaces from the galling of touching surfaces. It might lead to 'rod knock' if left unfixed. Seizure is no more than it being too hard for the starter to crank, which is when the towel is usually thrown in. They call it 'spun bearings' in shop talk. It is best to address it, but I don't know if you could limp a Cruiser to the end of the trail, if needed. However, that is all based on the assumption that the distributor was actually disengaged from the oil pump, based on the story at the time of sale.

On other engines, the gear is on the oil pump, instead of the distributor, so if you mess up re-installation of the distributor, it is likely that you still have oil pressure.

Agree with all...my point is still wondering why OP has jumped to idea of ordering rebuild parts. It may after all not have been run without oil, and might run for 10 years as is.

Thanks so much for all the advice ! Im going to rebuild it for sure after if going through whatever it went though to temporarily seize up. I plan on keeping this rig for a long time so Im gonna do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom