2F Engine rebuilder in the Northeast (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DrRock

SILVER Star
Threads
Hello All, after much effort spent getting my 60 tuned up and running properly (thanks to all the great help here) my engine still drinks oil. Given this, does anyone have any recommendations for an engine rebuilder somewhere in the Northeast? I’m willing to drive the engine within 12hrs for the right person. I’d be looking to get this done in the late fall or winter.

thanks in advance for the help!

not in the north east, Mosley motors in the mid Atlantic area

Do you have the space to tear it down yourself?

not in the north east, Mosley motors in the mid Atlantic area
Hello, thank you for the suggestion. I’ve emailed them several times and filled out their work request on the website but have yet to get a response. Do you happen to have a better way to contact them as I’d like to purchase a sniper setup from them as well but haven’t heard back from them on some pre purchase questions I had. They look like a great outfit and imagine they are just super busy.

cheers, James

Do you have the space to tear it down yourself?
Hello Seth, great to hear from you. Yes, I have the space for sure and was considering doing this myself if I can find a competent machine shop in the area. Do you have anyone up in your area who might be able to do the machine work?

There is a machine shop out near Castleton that a circle track friend recommended to me. Also there are a couple shops down/up/over in the Ft Edward/Saratoga area.
Think it’s “Edger Engines” in castleton but I haven’t gone there yet.

if you can do all the tear down just be sure to label and number things so you know where they came from. But you will save a ton of money.

Thanks to the convenience of shipping, you can just get a mosley motors rebuild and have it shipped on a pallet to you.

Thanks to the convenience of shipping, you can just get a mosley motors rebuild and have it shipped on a pallet to you.
Assuming a Mosley is in your budget

Pioneer Engines offers rebuilt 2F’s for about $2k with a core exchange. I think it’s just under $3k with no exchange. They are in Pennsylvania.

Thats a hard to believe price....as in not sure how

Thanks everyone for the insights. I’ve sent one more inquiry to @FJ60Cam in the hopes that they are ok and can give me some estimates. If that falls through then I’ll look up the shop in Saratoga.

cheers, James

Had a Saab block bored and honed at a place in or near Saratoga. Not sure the name. It was 5* years ago

I used my neighbors machines to build a F engine for my father in law about a year ago. (my neighbor didnt want to fool with it himself, not enough power for the effort he told me!) he is sort of right!

parts = $2k everything new

you can’t line hone the mains because it has larger mains in the middle and smaller mains on the outside, so be careful when you tighten the main caps on the crank that you don’t pinch the oil clearance off. Check and recheck oil clearance! A free spinning crankshaft is very important.

other than that anyone can build a F/2F

All you need from a machine shop is a bore job on the block, hone rods, install pistons on rods, guides in the head and cut the valve seats. That’s it, unless you want to cut the block deck or head surface for more compression. Assuming your crankshaft is ok

you can build the oil pump yourself with a surface plate and sandpaper. If gears look fine.

Last edited:
I used my neighbors machines to build a F engine for my father in law about a year ago. (my neighbor didnt want to fool with it himself, not enough power for the effort he told me!) he is sort of right!

parts = $2k everything new

you can’t line hone the mains because it has larger mains in the middle and smaller mains on the outside, so be careful when you tighten the main caps on the crank that you don’t pinch the oil clearance off. Check and recheck oil clearance! A free spinning crankshaft is very important.

other than that anyone can build a F/2F

All you need from a machine shop is a bore job on the block, hone rods, install pistons on rods, guides in the head and cut the valve seats. That’s it, unless you want to cut the block deck or head surface for more compression. Assuming your crankshaft is ok

you can build the oil pump yourself with a surface plate and sandpaper. If gears look fine.
Oh if you do it yourself I can see a path to $2000 rebuild. Paying a shop to do a full rebuild with machine shop work and new parts however I don't know how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom