265/70/17 in the spare location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My vote is "Yes" it would hurt your drive train.
Personal story: We had a 1991 Previa (Toyota) all-wheel-drive van we purchased new. At one point, just about 1,000 miles shy of the warranty going out, we had to put a spare on. When we purchased it I swapped out the factory wheels with really nice 17" rims and low profile, wide tires but I didn't bother to get a fifth 17" rim and tire as a spare to match the other four. So we put the spare on and not sure how far we went, but we ended up winding up the entire drive train because the spare was a different size diameter than the rims and tires I had on. The repair was somewhere over $3,000 on the drive train. We just scraped by under the warranty and Toyota took care of all the costs.

Lesson learned. Because our GX's are "all-wheel-drive", when I purchased my oversized BFG mud terrains, I had the presence of mind to also purchase a fifth rim and tire of the same size.

My question to myself is: do I rotate ALL five of my tires every time I rotate them? Or can I get by with just rotating the four corners and leave the spare alone? When my four corners start wearing down to, say, almost replacement depth, if I have to use the spare will it affect the drive train?

You and I both, may need to speak to Toyota about that.

I'd be interested to know the difference in tire sizes for the Previa, sounds like it could have been a couple inches. With regards to your "rotate four or five" question to yourself: No evidence, but it seems the difference -- in tread wear between a new tire (spare) and whatever wear is on the same model driving tires -- can't possibly be enough to damage the drivetrain in less than a few hundred miles. Then again, if you've got a free rotation package, why not rotate all five at a time?

Do GX's come with a matching spare wheel? 4Runners don't. For whatever weird reason they paint the spare yellow on some. Others have a steel wheel. Obviously Toyota doesn't think customers use the spare as a 5th tire in the rotation. Or they think someone wants to run a yellow wheel?? Odd choice

I don't think a different size spare would make any difference over a few hundred miles. The axle differential would have practically zero additional wear through the slight offset in the spider gears. And the tire height/speed difference front/rear would be small given that half of the effect is compensated by the rear differential. Because it's a helical gear type torsen diff - there's not clutch plates or other wear surfaces to wear out. Just a slight internal rotation difference. There would be some friction on the gear teeth due to the rotational difference, but it would be pretty small. I'm sure there would be some additional resistance and a small drop in mpg. I doubt you'd notice it. This is a pretty good simplified explanation of what's inside. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/1e59/16df64c80cd903bdaf6f68d8b1bf93e8b033.pdf

IMG_3684.jpg~original

Unless you're still under warranty, I'd still refer to post #2 in this thread that I wrote about. I really wouldn't chance it if at all possible. Even if warranty covers it, it is a very long repair, maybe a couple of weeks unless they have everything at the dealer.
I know I won't do it.
Just my 2 cents worth of experience.

So, I am resurrecting this thread because I am feeling like a dumbass...

I'm reading that a 285/70/17 (32.8" OD) fits beneath the 460, but I can't seem to get my 255/75/17 (32.1") in there. What could I be doing wrong? I will say, I used to work at a tire store and did this for a living (lol) so it shouldn't be this hard, right? What seem to be happening is its getting squeezed between the rear sway bar and the factory tow hitch bracket.

What am I doing wrong? :rolleyes:

I'm reading that a 285/70/17 (32.8" OD) fits beneath the 460, but I can't seem to get my 255/75/17 (32.1") in there. What could I be doing wrong? I will say, I used to work at a tire store and did this for a living (lol) so it shouldn't be this hard, right? What seem to be happening is its getting squeezed between the rear sway bar and the factory tow hitch bracket.

The person in this thread referencing the 285/70 in the stock location is talking about on 4Runners. You’ll have to trim the hitch and possibly deflate the spare some to get it to fit.

Haha, a 285/70/17 most definitely won't fit under the 460, but it does just barely fit under a 5th Gen 4Runner. I made my 255 fit but I had to trim the hitch a tad in order for it to clear and even then by only a millimeter or two lol.

4K5dh53.jpg

i3Fufcr.jpg

noqEK3T.jpg

So, the burning question is, will my 265/70/17 Ridge Grapplers fit under either our 470 or 460?

:popcorn:

Those should fit without issue.

Haha, a 285/70/17 most definitely won't fit under the 460, but it does just barely fit under a 5th Gen 4Runner. I made my 255 fit but I had to trim the hitch a tad in order for it to clear and even then by only a millimeter or two lol.

Thank you for info and pictures. Looks like I'm doing some trimming. 🍻

I guess I was tired when I responded. I meant the 255/75 would probably fit with some trimming. 285/70 will need another solution.

Did you have to trim the bracket the hitch bolts to? My tire seems to have about and 5/8" overlap over that bracket. It appears that If I cut off enough I'll end up cutting off two of the hitch mounting points.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and buy that rear door spare mount...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom