255/85R16 on 16x6 on 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TLC Norway

woodwelder
Threads
Hey, since i was looking for info on this setup when debating what size to buy, im posting it now.
Lots of pictures here of this tire and wheel combo, not so many on a 60.
This HJ61 has OME and a tad longer shackles.

So i'll add a few. Balanced with 200grams of easy-balance sand, no vibrations, wobbles or tracking.
Wheels were stripped to bare metal, painted and dried for 24h before mounting with tire irons.
I dont like giving my cash to a shop for putting them on, easy enough with two irons.
Wheels clear fine with 3.75BS but i chose to put on a 1" spacer to get a slightly wider stance.
Now the bulge on the tire is just outside the front fender, and inside the rear fender.

2015-10-22 15.03.22 HDR.jpg

2015-10-22 15.03.48 HDR.jpg

2015-10-22 15.05.23.jpg

2015-10-22 15.04.41.jpg

a dark nightshot. I'll get a fender shot later on.
2015-10-21 17.37.21.jpg

Love the gold wheels!

After I wrestled one tire onto the rim, I noticed they were D rated, not E!?!
I was looking forward to the E rated, but I'm very pleased with the road manners of this tire in D.
Running them at 35psi now, with a minor bulge. I need to find the optimal street pressure, to maximize life and have an ok comfy ride. Max pressure says 65psi.

What do mudders out there run on their 255s with 6' wheels? D or E rated?

I think Ds are perfect for the 60.

Sorry no experience with those in particular, but Es in general are for heavier trucks, don't you think?

I too have 255/85R16 on 16x6 rims. BFG MT rated E

I also have 16x7 rims which it could be better but I do not want to throw my money to change rims without good reason.

I do more Overlanding than off-roading, so I never aired down down to 20psi. Owerver, they grip well on stone with that amount of air in off-road stituation. No complaint. Otherwise, I run them at 35psi.

I like skinny tire on my rig.

2015-09-06 hj61.JPG

Last edited:
So these are winters only, with the studs? You're going to go back to the 35's for summer?
BTW, interested in the story of the 73 in the upper pics? I'd buy a Tesla tomorrow if I could afford it.
I know......but really well made. Tesla makes a 4x4 and I'd really be serious.

Hi Guys, just my favorite tyre size !
I run 255/85 Cooper S/T Maxx on the factory 6x16 rim and I believe that it is a perfect combo.I do like very much the neutral handling. This setup does not destroy the factory steering geometry like you do with wide wheels or massive spacers. I fitted 1/4" spacers to the rear only to compensate the slightly smaller rear axle track. Coming from Europe were this size is common I was very suprised to find that they are VERY rare here in New Zealand.
It seems that the Cooper is a bit wider (and lower) than the KM2 but I just like the thread pattern of the S/T
With my 3.70 Diffs it´s just about right. 2000rpm@100km/h. Wouldn´t mind some fresh 2" springs though.
Happy Cruising !
L1370513.JPG
L1380741.JPG
L1380314.JPG

Last edited:
So these are winters only, with the studs? You're going to go back to the 35's for summer?
BTW, interested in the story of the 73 in the upper pics? I'd buy a Tesla tomorrow if I could afford it.
I know......but really well made. Tesla makes a 4x4 and I'd really be serious.

Holy snap, didnt see this two years ago, so i'll just reply now;)
I had them studded for one and a half winter, removed the studs for some action with them on the 73, you can see that in my thread.
The 73 is one of 4 7x series i have. Its mostly my girls rig, really smooth and holds up great. They both do.
Some intel on that too in my HJ61 thread.

Here's my contribution. I am really liking the 255/85/16 Cooper STMAXX. THey are E rated but the ride and handling are good at 40 psi. Good fit on 8 inch wide rims. Surprised they worked well on the 6 inch wide rims. I would think you would get crowning and crappy wear.

9B71C174-D956-4DB2-8DA4-0588B0F710A4.jpeg
401E1BBB-B5A8-4979-BEC2-296C3048C47D.jpeg

I wouldn´t mind having 6.5 or 7" rims but I like the look, 0 offset and sturdy built of the Toyota rims. I have thought about rebuilding them with wider rim bands using the same centre. Annother fact is that they are available ex dump for free....they were fitted to the exeptional numerous Hiluxes in this country. I had 8" wheels before but the roadholding and neutral steering behavior as a result of the 0 offset is something I don´t want to miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom