250k rear wheel bearings? Really? (1 Viewer)

Okay. It all starts with installing a rear spartan, then heck, axles are out and let me see how the bearing are.
So I take out the nut and this is what I see. Really? 250k and I don’t really see why I should replace the bearing. I’m thinking new seals and just repack the old bearing and call it good. I have another set, came with the kit I bought from Australia on eBay. Rears are the same as the front and see more damage from fronts. Okay would you or not? And why?
9312A175-D0A0-41A1-B23F-34D4F8C631B4.jpeg
FE88A831-592B-4410-8DD3-80D2035FB28F.jpeg
460AC106-4EA4-4E73-8AEA-688AC5CEBC98.jpeg
26899507-CFA5-4DEB-80A1-7D6A21D4878A.jpeg

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

Look at the race not the bearings. That’s what you should look at to determine wear.

Cheers

Bambusiero

SILVER Star

Inspect & re-use if looks OK, replace only if clearly needed - OR of you just feel better with a "good for the duration" preventative replacement.

Nframe

SILVER Star
You'd be fine just repacking and reusing.
Mine were the same, and I replaced with a new set, and kept the old bearings/ races for backups.
I had it all apart, and figured just put the new ones in so I knew the life of them. Not a hard job to drive the old races out and replace.

Bludozer

SILVER Star
They look good sure, but personally I am incapable of the "inspect and reuse" methodology especially with wearables like wheel bearings. Would probably be fine if you reused but I personally wouldn't be ok with putting it back together without new ones :meh:

cvenom96

SILVER Star

You'd be fine just repacking and reusing.
Mine were the same, and I replaced with a new set, and kept the old bearings/ races for backups.
I had it all apart, and figured just put the new ones in so I knew the life of them. Not a hard job to drive the old races out and replace.
Same.

If I had things all apart, I'd probably go ahead and R&R the bearings. . Yes, the old are still good, but putting new in will take the truck far past when I'll even care. I'm not getting any more limber with age

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

Why are some people trying to make this all about race?
I learned many things from a guy who worked in a diff shop for years and has rebuilt thousands of diffs. He taught me to look at the race first, the actual bearing it will be obvious if it has damage, the race is where you see the wear.

Cheers

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor

Oh and a lot of people on the forum learning to turn a wrench or trouble shoot their Cruiser. So being plain and simple often helps them. 😉

Cheers

Does it look like bad races? I see a little discoloration but races look fine to me. And that’s the small bearing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom