250k rear wheel bearings? Really? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay. It all starts with installing a rear spartan, then heck, axles are out and let me see how the bearing are.
So I take out the nut and this is what I see. Really? 250k and I don’t really see why I should replace the bearing. I’m thinking new seals and just repack the old bearing and call it good. I have another set, came with the kit I bought from Australia on eBay. Rears are the same as the front and see more damage from fronts. Okay would you or not? And why?
9312A175-D0A0-41A1-B23F-34D4F8C631B4.jpeg
FE88A831-592B-4410-8DD3-80D2035FB28F.jpeg
460AC106-4EA4-4E73-8AEA-688AC5CEBC98.jpeg
26899507-CFA5-4DEB-80A1-7D6A21D4878A.jpeg

8B0EC359-5F0B-41A7-8985-10ACFA437A09.jpeg
3C7B2FDD-1FE2-40AB-8FA5-77957E9ACA29.jpeg

what do you guys think of the races?

270K never opened them up!

Inspect & re-use if looks OK, replace only if clearly needed - OR of you just feel better with a "good for the duration" preventative replacement.

You'd be fine just repacking and reusing.
Mine were the same, and I replaced with a new set, and kept the old bearings/ races for backups.
I had it all apart, and figured just put the new ones in so I knew the life of them. Not a hard job to drive the old races out and replace.

You'd be fine just repacking and reusing.
Mine were the same, and I replaced with a new set, and kept the old bearings/ races for backups.
I had it all apart, and figured just put the new ones in so I knew the life of them. Not a hard job to drive the old races out and replace.
Same.

It's so much work and new bearings are relatively cheap.

If I had things all apart, I'd probably go ahead and R&R the bearings. . Yes, the old are still good, but putting new in will take the truck far past when I'll even care. I'm not getting any more limber with age

Why are some people trying to make this all about race?

Why are some people trying to make this all about race?

I learned many things from a guy who worked in a diff shop for years and has rebuilt thousands of diffs. He taught me to look at the race first, the actual bearing it will be obvious if it has damage, the race is where you see the wear.

Cheers

For the oversensitive and those lacking a sense of humor, yes. Innocuous play on words otherwise.

Hard to get jokes on the internet or sarcasm.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Cheers

Does it look like bad races? I see a little discoloration but races look fine to me. And that’s the small bearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom