24Volt winch in a 12Volt Truck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mudrunner.ca
Friend of mine just scored himslef a free 10000 lbs Ramsey. Dude he got it from said it he couldn't get it to work. After testing the winch (Solonoids, motor etc) we found out that this Winch is a 24Volt unit. We hooked it up to the Skid Loader in the back and sure enough it worked like a champ. (What a bumbass... But perfect for my buddy)

Now my question is on how to get this bugger to work in his truck.
The winch is going to be reciever mounted, so we are going to wire quick connects front and rear, we will be installing 2 batteries in a custom tray in the rear of the bed.

What I need help with is A: How to wire the Batteries for 24Volt (ie: Parallel? series? etc) and what sort of switching device (Isolater etc) to put in between the primary battery and the 2 batts in the rear, to charge em?

Heres a cheese ass pic I put together.

24volt.jpg

You need to wire the batteries in series.

You need to figure a way to charge the batteries. The winch will rapidly discharge the batteries.

You need to figure a way to prevent anyone from connecting a 12 volt device to the circuit.

In my opinion the setup is not worth the effort.

My .02

Good luck

JB

The first thought that comes to mind is to use relays to change the hook up.
USe series for winching and parrallel for charging. Use a standard RV isolation set up for the charging circuit. I'll try to post a schmatic later.

FJ40_owner said:
You need to wire the batteries in series.

You need to figure a way to prevent anyone from connecting a 12 volt device to the circuit.

JB

The two batteries will be inside a custom box in the rear of the bed. and will not be on any other circuit other than the quick connects for the winch.

Problem will be charging these two batteries that will be wired in series.

No swapping for a 12 volt motor I guess?

If it were an 8274 I'd maybe trade a 12 volt motor for the 24 volt motor, but Ramsey motor probly a no go.

I had a schmatic drawn up but it was illegable by the time I resized it, I can e-mail it to you if you like.
I thought of a better way to solve the problem anyway. Just have the motor re-wound for 12V by an electric motor shop.

This is how it could be done. Disclaimer, if you choose to use a schematic posted to a forum by persons unknown to you without doing the proper research on your own you get to fix any problems that come from using it. :doh:
12_24.jpg

import silvia said:
I would put a fuse on the pos terminal of the switched battery. And look to find a high current switch that can make all of the throws at the same time (I'm thinking big rotary switch).
One low voltage switch and two DPDT relays rated for the correct amprage. No fuse, a thermal re-settable breaker. I didn't include those details, or a bunch of others, like the correct wire guages, hence the disclaimer.;)

on my old ramsey 7905 you can change from 24v to 12v by changeing the soleniods, same motor for both voltages. can the new ones do the same thing?
carl

$$$$ for these items i imagine will put this way out of reach, your talking min 200 amp rating on most of this stuff, IMO.

make the call to ramsey to figure it out (motor or relays, etc...) , or post it on military boards and hummer boards unload it and buy a 12v winch.

HI^C said:
$$$$ for these items i imagine will put this way out of reach, your talking min 200 amp rating on most of this stuff, IMO.

make the call to ramsey to figure it out (motor or relays, etc...) , or post it on military boards and hummer boards unload it and buy a 12v winch.
Ramsey specs 160A for their 12000/24V unit with a 10000 load so 200A would be correct. (The same unit in 12V requires 335A with the same load.) Also consider the expense of two batteries.

I agree with HI^C Ebay the 24V unit and buy a 12V unit with the money.

So his options so far seem to be:

1: Replace the 24V motor with a 12V motor and be done with it.
(best option)

2: Sell Winch

3: Intall 2 batteries in the back in series and run them off a seperate 24V alternator

4: Install 2 Batteries and do some crazy ass wiring and hopefully not start an electrical fire.

What about running a 12V to 24V inverter to charge the batteries ? or will the draw be to much while running the winch ?

pretty much,

think it will be a $$$$ versus time and hassel

CONTACT ramsey first,
if your going to have more $$$ then it would be to have the 12v winch, why even play with the 24v

You could do some research on Military CUCV. My M1008 had a 24 system for only starting, the rest of the system was 12 volts. 2 batteries and 2 alternators. I converted mine to all 12 volt so I am kinda familar with the system. Basically the alternators had isolated gnds and were wired in a way to charge the system 24 volts. CUCV alternators shouldn't be too hard to find, and wiringing isn't too bad.

12v or 24v

Some Unimogs have 24v starter, 2 batteries, one 12v alternator and some switch-unit to change the battery connections from paralell to series while starting. Some 80 series tlc have the same mechanism but i guess the switch is smaller and will not handle the high amps as well.

You might consult some unimog fans and see if they know this system, i am not sure if this switch-thing will handle the winch for a long time. Ask some Mercedes geeks ;)

pretty easy to do.

use a battery isolator to charge two 12v batteries at once.

Have them connected in series to give 24v only to the winch.

There you go.

CruisinGA said:
pretty easy to do.

use a battery isolator to charge two 12v batteries at once.

Have them connected in series to give 24v only to the winch.

There you go.
So how exactly would you hook that up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom