24V remote start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.toontoys.ca
So as I am getting worried about security and I would like a remote start for the HJ61 I thought I would find out if this is possible. I would like to run a 12V starter/alarm combo on the truck. I have the 20amp 24V-->12V converter for the main power into the box but I am a little unsure about the relay switching for the 24V.

Does anybody know if a 12V signal will switch a 24V relay?? If it would I think I would be OK. Correct me if I am wrong but I would have 24V coming into the relay, have the 12 volts throw the relay, and get 24V out of the relay....

on a standard 24 V relay

86 12V trigger
30 24V input
87 24V output
85 ground

Does this make sense? If the 12 volts won't throw the relay how do I get it to???

I also need to contend with the glow light to trigger the start. Can I just do the opposite as above with the light acting as the 24v trigger and pass 12v through the relay.

Any help would be appreciated.

bt

sounds like an interesting project, yes i think that 12v will have no problem triggering the 24v relay the way you describe, but just how good is your handbrake? it is a cruiser afterall. I had a long hard think about this and the glowplugs are what got me stuck. Are they manual glowplugs? If you dont need the auto start when the engine is cold, you could just bypass and forget about them.

With the relay, you might also have the 12v trigger throw a 12v relay that you put there that has 24v in/out to throw the main starter. The other problem is making sure the input for the engine started section of the alarm is allright so it knows when to stop cranking the starter. You might need to run it through a separate converter so you dont fry the alarm. Its a difficult job getting these things to work right. And you have to be willing to rely on the handbrake a lot. In general I think they can be dangerous especially around me, and just too much effort to install.

sam

It's an Auto :D So the hand brake isn't much of an issue....

I have been told to use a relay equivelent to what the trigger voltage (going to the coil) will be and not to worry about what voltage goes across the contacts. So if I have a 12V trigger (like out of the remote start) run it into a 12V relay and use 24V on the contact pins.

Basically I am making a relay harness that will have a relay for every input and out put on the remote start.... alot of work but it is going to be worth it on those -30 days!!!

Plus I am going to get an alarm and key less entry, oh the bling :rolleyes:

that sounds like the go, but you are going to have some fun wiring it and getting it looking neat, and will end up with a suitcase full of wires and relays.

Brad: Isn't that just a regular relay? If you need 12v for the trigger, what would make it a 24v relay? I've been using regular relays with no problems with alarm systems because the signal that you get from your alarm is 12v anyway and is the correct voltage called for the trigger. The relay doesn't care what voltage it sees on the portion you are switching. I didn't know this a little while ago and was enlightened by some wiser Cruiserheads.

Haven't installed a remote starter...sorry can't help you there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom