22re VS 22r blocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm just learning this stuff myself. This is what I've picked up: I believe that all the 22Rs from 86 onward had the same block and head as the 22REs. I' dont have a clue about the earlier blocks but I know that the 84 and earlier heads are not the same. The heads on later 22REs (89-95) have some differences and I don't think that they are an easy mix and match swap. If interested, I have a 85 22R sitting in a garage waiting for a new home.

:beer:

Your 86 long block should match up fine with his late 80s RE head.

22r and 22re are the same blocks. '85 and up have a "lazer block" which has a slightly shorter deck height. The older blocks are taller so if you mis-match blocks and heads the accessory brackets will not line up just right but they will work. The heads off a 22r will NOT work on a 22RE intake. there is an extra water jacket and the intake runners are different. Also the older 22re (pre '85)heads use a single center stud on the exhaust vs. two studs on the newer heads. Anything I missed?

Bear80 said:
. . . The heads off a 22r will NOT work on a 22RE intake. there is an extra water jacket and the intake runners are different. . .

That’s news to me. I fully admit that I could be as wrong as a football bat, but lots of folks on various toy 4x4 sites have been creating 22REs out of their 85-89 22Rs. The info that I read didn’t mention swapping to an EFI head. And if you look at aftermarket heads from companies like Engnbldr, they don’t differentiate between heads or gasket sets for engines between 85 and 89. I also find it hard to believe that Toyota manufactured, stocked, and installed two different heads on the same basic engine for that many years.
I’ll agree though that the blocks and heads off of 84 and older engines are different.

I had an 86 EFI 4x4 truck that had a junkyard engine put it in by the PO. It would always detonate during the summer under hard load, A/C on, pulling up a hill, etc. Took it in to a shop and they struggled with it for a while, replaced the EGR, etc.

Shop owner had a buddy in the Toyota recycling business, ran the numbers on the block and found out the EGR port cast into the side of the block was different in diameter, the engine was supposed to be out of an earlier, non-EFI rig.

I think he was being truthful...but it is just an anecdotal data pt.

can the 22re use a headgasket from a 22r ? these local shops keep telling me 2 sides yes and no so what's true?

the head gasket will work on either i tried to put an re head on an r the pistons hit the head you can call lc engineering and thier techs should be able to answer your questions. also i ran a re intake on a r for about a year or so and it did always run a little hot.

There is some definite info here that needs to be cleared up. First off 22r means it's carbed, and 22re means fuel injection. The motors came in carbed form up until 1987, and the efi was offered starting in 1985. This is for trucks and 4 runners celica's are a little different. In 1985 the block was changed to the lazer style mentioned earlier. This basically means that in 1985-1987 22r's and 22re's had the same block and head so all parts were the same they just had a different intake set up. The efi intake will not bolt up to the early model head as there are difference's in the stud holes, and the water jackets. I believe that it can be made to work, but requires a lot of effort. So basically all the info listed hear is both right and wrong it just depends on what year the 22r that you are referencing is. Hopefully this helps you guys.

The motors came in carbed form up until 1987, and the efi was offered starting in 1985.

Carbed version was still available up until '95, but only in the 2WD trucks.

Cool I didn't know that. I guess I should mention that all the info I have given is based off 4wd's I don't really know much at all about the 2wd's.

i can not tell you if it was an early head or later head but it was in an 84 4runner and my intake bolted right up to the 22r head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom