22re turbo worth the trouble? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is installing the Toyota turbo into a 22re worth the hassle of finding the parts ad doing the installation. Ive never been around a turbo'd 22re so this is a new area. I'm thinking of sourcing the parts as I come across them and eventually getting one all together.

yes and no

but your best bet is finding a rusted up turbo one to piece out

I got mine for $300 running 2wd auto no title parted some stuff I didnt need and only have $60 into now

i do believe early turbos were a bandaid to get around emissions, besides that my experience with them is they are a pain in the ass, that said if i knew more about them i might think differently but i do not like them.

Put it this way: I had a complete turbo truck to part out and harvest all the parts I would need, in my driveway. I did a bunch of research and reading, I knew it was a waste of time, so I sold the whole engine and all the wiring for $350, never looked back.

A turbo 22RE is a big hole under your hood into which you pour money.

i do believe early turbos were a bandaid to get around emissions, besides that my experience with them is they are a pain in the ass, that said if i knew more about them i might think differently but i do not like them.

They were a band aid to compete with the other V6's that were already on the market while Toyota finished up the 3.0.

They were a band aid to compete with the other V6's that were already on the market while Toyota finished up the 3.0.

I dont mind the 3.0 much but Id rather build a turbo R..

if your serious about making power with one just build a setup from scratch

the OE manifold cracks
the OE turbo is anemic
no intercooler
granted its ecu is setup for boost but not much

Im still building one though:rolleyes:

Is installing the Toyota turbo into a 22re worth the hassle of finding the parts ad doing the installation. Ive never been around a turbo'd 22re so this is a new area. I'm thinking of sourcing the parts as I come across them and eventually getting one all together.

Not if you've a: got an existing RTE, or b: plan on converting it to RTE using OEM components.

As mentioned, the stock parts DO NOT take well to tuning and the Turbo itself is a TERRIBLE one.

Sad, b/c I'm doing some searching and have come across TWO similar size engines that will blow a RTE out of the water and came factory with more power and tuneability.

A 3S-GTE Celica All-Trac Turbo. 200 horse, 200 ft/lbs 2.0L

And actually a Previa SC. 154 horse, 190 ft/lb 2.4L 2TZ-FZE

I wonder if we just can't dupe this with a 8.? c/r RTE and just use a SC and computer from the PRevia SC?

"Starting in 1994, Toyota solved this problem by offering a twin-screw Roots-type supercharger with air-to-air intercooler, providing 6psi of boost (these models were called the "S/C"), bringing the engine power up to a competitive 160 hp (120 kW). Initially, the S/C engine was only available as an option on the LE in 1994."

"The supercharged engine is different from the normally-aspirated engine, due to a slight decrease in compression ratio. The supercharger is engaged on-demand by an electromagnetic clutch, based on input from the engine management system computer (the Engine Control Unit, or ECU)."

meh....probly easier and cheaper to do a 7mge

Sad but true. Vary true.

True.

(Smooth move Mr.T putting the SINGLE cams in trucks and the TWIN cams in cars:rolleyes:)

I dont mind the 3.0 much but Id rather build a turbo R..

if your serious about making power with one just build a setup from scratch

the OE manifold cracks
the OE turbo is anemic
no intercooler
granted its ecu is setup for boost but not much

Im still building one though:rolleyes:

DING!

That's what I'm seeing from all the research on all the other "tuner" cars.

They all seem to have that common denominator...

And with the 22R's stroke, that should yield KILLER results.

It just goes back to the old saying "Speed costs, how fast do you wanna go?"

http://www.turbocelica.com/TheShuttle/default.htm

Last edited:
the OE manifold cracks
the OE turbo is anemic

I don't want to split hares here, I just feel that if you've got a good one and AM is so expensive, maybe it's not a viable option to include a new manifold...

I actually think it's the Turbo that lead to the manifolds cracking...

As time rolled by, Turbo Engineering Center (TEC). Of Magalia, California found that the life expectancy of the CT-20 was in the neighborhood of 60,000 miles. When it comes time to replace or repair these units, Toyota only offers a replacement turbo for $1850-no service or repairs. TEC traced the CT-20's short life span to the routing of the oil supply line. The line ran directly under the turbine housing and was joined to it. This allowed a great deal of heat transfer and TEC believes oil was ultimately restricted which led to turbo failure. Another shortcoming of the Toyota turbo was the backpressure it produced. TEC tested a CT-20 and found at 9 psi there was 22 psi of backpressure and high exhaust gas temperatures. The conditions were ripe for failure.

not worth it IMO. its a cool idea on paper.
not enough significant power for all the work finding the parts.
although if i came across an 87 turbo'd P/U that was immacualate for a steal of a deal id cop it.

I actually think it's the Turbo that lead to the manifolds cracking...

agreed still looking for a decent CT26 for my mess my manifold is A OK!

having a built a decent 20/22r which hauls balls if you BUILT one these (RE) with a GOOD turbo and a stand alone....Id say no problem daily driven 200HP+ and Im sure 300 wouldnt be a problem with boost increase

I run a 7MGE in my 85 so I am always keeping an eye out for donor cars ( I guess I don't trust my work but that is another story)

I see 7MGTE cars pretty often, on the cheap, typicall with blown HG. Typically,
a turbo truck is $$$. Parts are easily and cheaply found for the 7MGTE.

The 7MGTE is one sweet engine, however, not sure how a boosted engine would work for rock crawling, in white knuckle momentum siturations.

You can put one of those duck call blow off valves in :D:D

"You can put one of those duck call blow off valves in "

ROFL

Ok all the 22r haters are wrong.. I spent 7k for 350rwhp. Butttt i can change manifold pressure for super fuel eco, i can change boost at low or topend, grant it you can do all these things also with a SDS like mine. But the 22r is known to be reliable and bragging rights are huge. 350hp feels like 500hp with power to weight ratio. Its super easy to work on. Weighs 350LBS .... Haters yes its worth the money to have a decked out origional custom turbo cab

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom