22re fuel cell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1986 22RE 1st gen 4Runner, SAS, 35 w/ beadlocks, lincoln locked trail rig

I've beat my factory fuel cell into a raisin, factory skid has become irreparable. This is a 90% trail rig only, with the occasional trip to work on a nice day (only work 4 miles away). I plan on running a small 10 gallon tank since my I usually dont burn an entire factory tank in a weekend I figure itll be fine if I roll with two 5 gallon spare jugs.

So here are my questions:
1. I've heard bad things about aluminum fuel cells cracking at the seams. BUT, they are so much cheaper and mounting is easy. What about mounting it to the body with rubber bushings to isolate it from some of the impact shock? Or, do yall have some clever ideas, or debunking the myth I've heard.

2. What fuel pumps do yall run (e.g. what psi?) and do you leave in the factory pressure regulator and just let it do its thing to get the pressure where it needs to be. AND, do you run a return with the pump / regulator combo you've selected.

What fuel pumps do yall run (e.g. what psi?)
Factory fuel pressure is around 42psi if I recall. So any pump that runs in the 40-ish PSI range will work.

Do you leave in the factory pressure regulator and just let it do its thing to get the pressure where it needs to be.
Yes.

AND, do you run a return with the pump / regulator combo you've selected.
You must have a return line. The pump will output more full than the engine can use. Plus, the last stop on the rail is the regulator and in order for it to work properly it needs to bypass fuel.

Ok so you just extend (or replace) the factory return line so that nice you're running the factory regulator? Makes sense.

Thanks.

I'm confused, are we discussing fuel tanks or safety fuel cells? They're very different things.

793C0B46-20B1-41BE-B151-961C29F2116F.jpeg

I'm confused, are we discussing fuel tanks or safety fuel cells? They're very different things.

Safety fuel cell I guess. I've never added the word safety. Fuel cell with rollover valve. just trying to get ideas and advice so I can get my bill of materials together.

Can delete the "safety" if its clear that a fuel tank isn't being called a "fuel cell", which happens a lot and is terribly misleading and inaccurate.

Considered using one of the poly fuel cells? They're economical and may be all that you need. They also deal better with things flexing around them better than do aluminum cells. I think JAZ was the first to make them, but others do now too. Searching Summit I see that JAZ is molding them in 'natural' color in addition to black. Should be easy to see how much fuel in in the cell with one of those, though UV light may not be too friendly towards it. My search string:
Fuel Cells - 10 gallons Capacity - Plastic Fuel Cell Material

An important thing to know regardless of the cell's construction material is that pump fuel kills the fuel cell foam in under 5 years. BT, DT. One set of foam barely made it thru one desert racing season before it started plugging the fuel filter with little bits of black stuff that looked like tiny ants.

Ive looked at Jaz for sure, their price point is very appealing. I'm very familiar with the foam issue. Been a passenger before in a rig with foam breaking down and clogging the fuel filter all day.

Honestly, I ride most days with the top and doors off, so the sloshing I don't think will be that annoying. Also, will be hard to tell the difference between the cooler and the tank.

The sound of the sloshing may not be an issue, but the fuel starvation in the rough with a low tank would be. There are some pretty trick fuel pick-up options out there that could reduce or eliminate this.

If you don't need the foam and are just looking at fuel cells for their ease of packaging a fuel tank, why not look at the poly fuel tanks sold for marine use? Those come in a range of shapes and sizes.

The sound of the sloshing may not be an issue, but the fuel starvation in the rough with a low tank would be. There are some pretty trick fuel pick-up options out there that could reduce or eliminate this.

If you don't need the foam and are just looking at fuel cells for their ease of packaging a fuel tank, why not look at the poly fuel tanks sold for marine use? Those come in a range of shapes and sizes.

I like that idea, I can't find a marine tank with a return though. Probably because most small engines dont need them.

I was guessing that what you'd have to do is fit a Toyota fuel pump - sender assembly to whatever tank you end up with. Pretty simple with the poly tanks to do this if the pump - sender assembly uses screws for mounting. Just need to copy how the poly fuel cell mfg's do this and make a stud ring, and possibly a gasket, after cutting the big hole & the mount stud holes.

Either that or use an external pump - be that a Bosch 044 or a Walbro GS-3XX (I forget if its the 392 or the 395 that is the 50 psi version) and add a fitting with a gasket like this: McMaster-Carr for the return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom