22R and 33s... Regear? Marlin Crawler? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Older timer on the ORC yota list Ed Wong used to, and may still drive those roads rally car style. Until you've seen it done it is hard to believe that it can be done.

I'm know it can be done for someone whos stupid enough to do it on a public road and may or may not have crashed a vehicle learning how to do it with less than 8 feet of correction before youre down an embankment or in a tree. Realistically theres less than 1 foot of correction if you plan on staying in your own lane around the bend and not head on collision with the guy minding his own business coming up/down the road or evasive maneuver puts you shiny side down in the ditch anyways.

Give me a wide open road with essentially a foot ball field width of correction before a total vehicle write off or death is the outcome for a lack of vehicle or driver capability and I'll personally give it a whirl.

How many vehicles do you think a pro driver crashed before they figured anything out?

Last edited:
Practice in a big open gravel parking lot, staging area, former log dump, etc before trying shenanigans on an actual road. Always good to know how your vehicle handles before needing to take evasive action. Just don't roll or hit anything. In B.C., going off a road is usually a bad idea at best, and often fatal.

So taking my ‘96 Powerstroke up a remote and washboard covered FSR* at 3:00 am at 50+ mph with a open bottle of whiskey in my cup holder was dangerous? Damn. Luckily I did this back in 1996 when I was invincible. I did practice by allowing a young lovely do donuts in the dayskier lot in Whistler in that brand new truck too, but it was only at 2:30 am and I’m pretty sure we were out of liquor at that point. Hmmm. I may have been foolish in my younger years?

* Forest Service Road for you non B.C. types.

I looked at another ‘89 4 Runner today for my brother. He has decided that going over the handlebars of his dirt bike again (at age 53) might be unpleasant, and is searching for an off-road toy. The one I looked at has 37s and 4.10s. I’ll bet she’s a bit sluggish on the big hills!

Did 40 miles on dirt roads yesterday on the gravel bike (think road bike with wider tires) enjoying fences, farms, trees, cows, horses... and lack of traffic. Someone commented on the lack of traffic. I said "My only fear is the wannabe rally racer drifting around the next turn at 50 mph." It got quiet for a minute.

I think one of the reasons 4.56s still seem like a tall gear (I know, I know) is that my first Jeep had the much better gears than my buddy's. He had 2.73s and I had 3.54s. Can you imagine (of course you can) wheeling with 35" bloggers (Interco - the only tire brand to measure bigger than the stated size), a 3-speed manual and 3.54s. I had let gaps form before following most trucks up obstacles.

Picture1.jpg

The problem most wannaB's have is that they don't leave anything in reserve. They're at 10 tenths with no margin to deal with the unexpected. And that is also part of the problem, the unexpected. It shouldn't happen. Need to have a plan BEFORE you go into that turn as what you're going to do if there is someone there that you couldn't see. AND you should know the road well enough to know what the range of viable options are for that particular corner. Then the speed is adjusted to give yourself the time to deal with something you couldn't see until you got there. Maybe that's 9/10ths, maybe that's 5/10ths. This is what going 10 tenths in my youth taught me. :) Going fast is fun, but being reckless is just stoopid.

Rode up Wrecking Ball in Johnson Valley in a CJ7 with 3.54's and 35's. At times he used everything that 401 could offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom