2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah deal killer for me, I need space and not seating. I will keep my 21. Also not interested in the useless electric motor either.
It would appear I definitely wont be able to fit this in the new one.

2021 Montana.jpg

From the auto news article a few months ago:

BF08E459-E9B4-4FDB-84EF-9DFE5A7519E9.jpeg

I'm trying to understand the logic behind packaging the battery in that way. The only thing I can come up with is it was an after the fact add-on and for some reason they couldn't get modern lithium batteries that would be a fraction of the size. But even so, why couldn't they just flatten them out across the entire rear cargo area? Wouldn't that leave you with more like a 6-in rise instead of a foot? Or maybe even put them underneath the middle row of seats? I really want to like the new Sequoia. But I'm kind of struggling with it.

Easy to see why they didn't make a hybrid version of the Land Cruiser 300. Would take up the entire cargo area. How the heck is Toyota going to fit that giant battery pack into the back of a 4Runner? How does this complicate pulling the cab off when you have to replace a turbo?

So with solid rear axle and rear springs I guessing that is only place to put battery. The shelf is designed to support 3rd row seats and passengers so I doubt it is sub par in its build. Why battery and electric motor. Increased HP and Torque with out increased fuel consumption is my guess. Am I going to go buy one NO. I will be keeping my 2016 LC till it dies on me and I can't fix it.

We are considering adding one alongside of the 200. It sucks that we still don't know much about pricing for each trim level and their different variations within those trims levels. Local sales manager is telling me that they expect to open order banks in July with delivery dates for first orders set to arrive in late November or December of this year. Torn between a TRD Pro and the fully loaded Capstone. Lots of crossover with the TRD Pro and the Cruiser IMHO.

So with solid rear axle and rear springs I guessing that is only place to put battery. The shelf is designed to support 3rd row seats and passengers so I doubt it is sub par in its build. Why battery and electric motor. Increased HP and Torque with out increased fuel consumption is my guess. Am I going to go buy one NO. I will be keeping my 2016 LC till it dies on me and I can't fix it.
The trouble with the increased torque and HP is that Toyota did it for the marketing and not the real world. The battery is so small in capacity (it's huge physically) that it'll last about 40-60 seconds before the battery is fully depleted. And after that it's 400+ lbs of dead weight. So it'll make towing worse on any significant grade. But 0-60 better. On paper the numbers look like it'll pull as well as a diesel, but in reality it's not going to do anything for the situations where you'd really want that extra power. Except a half second faster zero to sixty.

I think your right on why they did it. Just thinking that the benefit isn't what it seems. At least not for anyone who wants to use it for towing and hauling stuff. It's worse than no hybrid for those things. And it's so disappointing because it's so close to being great. A 7-10kwh lithium battery with decent packaging could offer so much more.

The trouble with the increased torque and HP is that Toyota did it for the marketing and not the real world. The battery is so small in capacity (it's huge physically) that it'll last about 40-60 seconds before the battery is fully depleted. And after that it's 400+ lbs of dead weight. So it'll make towing worse on any significant grade. But 0-60 better. On paper the numbers look like it'll pull as well as a diesel, but in reality it's not going to do anything for the situations where you'd really want that extra power. Except a half second faster zero to sixty.

I think your right on why they did it. Just thinking that the benefit isn't what it seems. At least not for anyone who wants to use it for towing and hauling stuff. It's worse than no hybrid for those things. And it's so disappointing because it's so close to being great. A 7-10kwh lithium battery with decent packaging could offer so much more.
I think you looking at how the battery will assist and when in incorrect manner. I image this working almost exactly like a Prius. It also has very small battery and small gas motor. The run cycle for electric is as an assist. Leave stop light your in electric mode till you hit speed X and then gas motor take over. Take foot off gas and battery starts charging. Going down road at 75 on flat piece of road towing or no towing you run on gas. You hit a hill and electric kicks in to provide extra torque to hold speed up hill no extra gas was sent to engine. You a coasting down a long hill the battery charges. This type of operation mode has served the Prius quite well for 10+ years. The overall mileage gains for city and highway are well know. 95% percent of people buying a Sequoia use it like a large Prius. About 5% probably tow or do even mild off roading. Even this small group will get mileage gains against a straight gas motor.
Note I not going out to buy one I have zero interest. I hated driving every Prius rental car I have ever been in. However the technology works. I saw it at gas pump when I had to fill up those Prius rental cars. Prius buyers of years ago want a Toyota and if they are looking now as something like a Sequoia then ++ for the it works like that old Prius they loved so much.

I think you looking at how the battery will assist and when in incorrect manner. I image this working almost exactly like a Prius. It also has very small battery and small gas motor. The run cycle for electric is as an assist. Leave stop light your in electric mode till you hit speed X and then gas motor take over. Take foot off gas and battery starts charging. Going down road at 75 on flat piece of road towing or no towing you run on gas. You hit a hill and electric kicks in to provide extra torque to hold speed up hill no extra gas was sent to engine. You a coasting down a long hill the battery charges. This type of operation mode has served the Prius quite well for 10+ years. The overall mileage gains for city and highway are well know. 95% percent of people buying a Sequoia use it like a large Prius. About 5% probably tow or do even mild off roading. Even this small group will get mileage gains against a straight gas motor.
Note I not going out to buy one I have zero interest. I hated driving every Prius rental car I have ever been in. However the technology works. I saw it at gas pump when I had to fill up those Prius rental cars. Prius buyers of years ago want a Toyota and if they are looking now as something like a Sequoia then ++ for the it works like that old Prius they loved so much.
I'm skeptical it'll add much mpg. Tundra only got one MPG better in the EPA test which is pretty favorable to hybrids. And it doesn't do any of the best parts about hybrids - like running the accessories and the engine isn't running. So you can't really have it shut off the engine in stop and go traffic for example if it's hot or cold because then you also lose the air conditioning or heater. I couldn't believe when the new tundra came out that there wasn't a plug-in hybrid version. But you can't even make this into a plug-in hybrid with a big battery for the same reason. No one is going to be willing to drive 30 miles with no heat or cooling. It's just a really basic 90's era hybrid design. And Toyota knows better. They make great hybrids. They just chose not to for the tundra and Sequoia.

The one place that it could work well would be adding extra power for pulling up hills and regenerating on the downhill side. But the battery is just way too small for that. I think I'll have to wait to see when they come out how they actually perform in the real world. Maybe I'm totally wrong. If Toyota can ever figure out how to produce a few tundras, will at least get to see how the hybrid Tundra performs in the real world.

I still might be a potential buyer. I just need to drive one and see what the pricing is etc. My wife's RX 350 is due for replacement and it would be nice to have something a little bit bigger that we could also use for towing our camper. We would probably get another RX 350 but Toyota hasn't updated them in what seems like an eternity.

I really like the styling on the new Sequoia. I think it looks great. And I actually quite like driving the turbo 6 in the Tundra I finally got a chance to go test drive. I was actually planning to buy one. But after the test drive I didn't because it wasn't very well put together. Things like wrinkles in the seat leather where there's not supposed to be wrinkles. Because the seat covers were not very well manufactured or the foam inside was bad. Whatever the cause it didn't fit properly. The paint quality was bad enough if you didn't know it was brand new with 20 miles on it you would say it was a respray. It's not so much that it had heavy orange peel. It's that it was really inconsistent across the different panels. And the panels didn't fit properly together like you expect from Toyota. Looked more like a Tesla.

I really want to love the new Sequoia. But it just doesn't seem that competitive from what we know compared to what else is out there. Especially if it's priced higher than an R1S. I'm a lot more inclined to go with the R1S.

I'm skeptical it'll add much mpg. Tundra only got one MPG better in the EPA test which is pretty favorable to hybrids. And it doesn't do any of the best parts about hybrids - like running the accessories and the engine isn't running. So you can't really have it shut off the engine in stop and go traffic for example if it's hot or cold because then you also lose the air conditioning or heater. I couldn't believe when the new tundra came out that there wasn't a plug-in hybrid version. But you can't even make this into a plug-in hybrid with a big battery for the same reason. No one is going to be willing to drive 30 miles with no heat or cooling. It's just a really basic 90's era hybrid design. And Toyota knows better. They make great hybrids. They just chose not to for the tundra and Sequoia.

The one place that it could work well would be adding extra power for pulling up hills and regenerating on the downhill side. But the battery is just way too small for that. I think I'll have to wait to see when they come out how they actually perform in the real world. Maybe I'm totally wrong. If Toyota can ever figure out how to produce a few tundras, will at least get to see how the hybrid Tundra performs in the real world.

I still might be a potential buyer. I just need to drive one and see what the pricing is etc. My wife's RX 350 is due for replacement and it would be nice to have something a little bit bigger that we could also use for towing our camper. We would probably get another RX 350 but Toyota hasn't updated them in what seems like an eternity.

I really like the styling on the new Sequoia. I think it looks great. And I actually quite like driving the turbo 6 in the Tundra I finally got a chance to go test drive. I was actually planning to buy one. But after the test drive I didn't because it wasn't very well put together. Things like wrinkles in the seat leather where there's not supposed to be wrinkles. Because the seat covers were not very well manufactured or the foam inside was bad. Whatever the cause it didn't fit properly. The paint quality was bad enough if you didn't know it was brand new with 20 miles on it you would say it was a respray. It's not so much that it had heavy orange peel. It's that it was really inconsistent across the different panels. And the panels didn't fit properly together like you expect from Toyota. Looked more like a Tesla.

I really want to love the new Sequoia. But it just doesn't seem that competitive from what we know compared to what else is out there. Especially if it's priced higher than an R1S. I'm a lot more inclined to go with the R1S.
If the quality on the new Sequoia is not excellent, I'm going to be very disappointed. I'd like to see Toyota show that they can make very high quality SUVs in North America. The standard set in the LC/LX/GX and the 4Runner is very, very high. If they can't hit that mark in North America, that is going to be very bad for sales and for Toyota. I'm rooting for Toyota to hit it out of the park with this new Sequoia, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will. I certainly won't be buying one until they are 5+ years old, and I'm hoping they are holding up well at that point.

You can’t compare Japanese built vs American built. Even if both are Toyota.

Based off of what we've seen and heard about the build quality of the new 3rd Gen Tundra I wouldn't hold your breath on the new Sequoia being built to the same standards as the 200 or 5th Gen 4Runner.

You can’t compare Japanese built vs American built. Even if both are Toyota.
I'm proud to be an American. That being said the American work ethic (more accurately the lack there of) makes it impossible to match the Japanese drive to be perfect.

It is what it is.

I'm proud to be an American. That being said the American work ethic makes it impossible to match the Japanese drive to be perfect.

It is what it is.
Remember when Toyota was selling Japanese made Camry a few years back to meet demand? People were looking all over just for those.

Remember when Toyota was selling Japanese made Camry a few years back to meet demand? People were looking all over just for those.
Absolutely.

The last 200 Series Land Cruiser I saw had a sticker in The window that said 100% Japanese content. You will be hard pressed to find that now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom