2023 Toyota Sequoia - 3rd Generation REVEALED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sad to hear that you're forced into a pathetic excuse for a hybrid only to have it get the same fuel economy as the previous gen trucks that had NA V8's. I like most everything about them but the cargo/third row seat setup is awful and that is a deal killer in my eyes. It looks the part though and the tech and interior is a huge step up for a Toyota. Congrats on not having to over pay.

"the cargo/third row seat setup is awful and that is a deal killer in my eyes."
Ditto!

Strangely enough, I wanted this version of powertrain. Initially I was looking at the lx600 but didn't understand why they went with a non-hybrid model only for a more luxurious vehicle. That turned me away from the lx600. I'm also happy with the battery placement and a solid rear axel as some mild off-roading will be required. It's a compromise for the cargo area for which I am happy to pay.

Definitely wouldn't mind an XL version though. They're gonna call it the 'grand' Sequoia :rofl:

Beautiful rig at Tech Inspection for Cruise Moab today

20230419_110300.jpg

20230419_110312.jpg

It’s definitely theirs. It’s been all over the IG feed for weeks/months now.

GX550 with Overtrail Package is exactly what I was hoping the 2023 Sequoia would be.

No hybird, no 3rd row, full rear storage, rear locker, 33 inch tires - Yes!

It certainly looks like a futuristic Lexus offroad machine. Rear locker plus torsen center is awesome. One thing I would've liked in the Sequoia.
Size-wise it is 4" longer than a 4Runner and 13" shorter than a Sequoia. Third row rear seat fold is nice for those who won't be using third row as often.

If you wanted a vehicle without a 3rd row, I agree this will probably be the best factory option without doing a delete on another model.

I am now extremely curious to see how they stack the expected US Landcruiser (Prado) and a 4Runner redesign against this. Just seems like so many overlapping models all at once.

GX550 with Overtrail Package is exactly what I was hoping the 2023 Sequoia would be.

No hybird, no 3rd row, full rear storage, rear locker, 33 inch tires - Yes!
I think I read barn door delete with opening glass. Checks all the boxes so far

Follow-up to my previous post regarding feedback on the new Sequoia -- Really enjoying it still, if not even more, the longer I've been driving it. Here's a some more observations now that I've had a few thousand miles with it:

- Gas mileage (as noted before, quite a bit lower than sticker when driving around town) is the same if not better when using Normal mode vs. Eco mode for daily driving around town (mixed urban/metro and suburban areas). It seems that Eco mode is best used when on high speed highways/interstate and long-distance driving. When in Eco mode around town/locally, throttle response and performance is notably lessened (vs. Normal mode) but still 'fair/good', yet there's really no gain in gas mileage. Normal mode provides a very good throttle response/performance driving feel and gas mileage is similar or better. Sport mode is wildly powerful and really lowers mpg.

- Had a few issues with the retractable running boards making loud metallic clunky/scratchy sounds when retracting (not when deploying) but only sporadically, and one instance of them failing to retract fully, which led to a message on the dash cluster saying the 'door steps unable to retract' or something like that, despite there being no physical occlusion or contact with any debris or object. Had to put in park, open the door, and then re-enter to trigger the retraction mechanism again, and then it worked fine and hasn't done it again since.. Kinda odd.

- The rear hatch/door can be finicky with the foot-swipe opening from outside; sometimes it just beeps once after the foot-swipe and doesn't open, then you try again, and it beeps twice and opens (no idea why). I also can't figure out how to use the close-lock (instead of the close only) button on the hatch when it's open. When I press the close-lock button, it just beeps a few times and doesn't close. I've tried it with all doors locked and all doors unlocked, doesn't matter. Might be just me not knowing what it's supposed to do or when it can be used, but I can't figure it out after multiple attempts.

- Auto-high/low beam headlight function isn't as reliable as I had hoped. It sometimes fails to dim to low beams when there's oncoming traffic at night on rural roads, and it seems to happen more frequently than it should, but it's still pretty infrequent and not a problem often enough to cause me to disable it.

- No other issues in general; very fun/comfortable to drive and maneuver despite its size, and I've gotten many compliments on it. Absolutely excellent for road trips with the family/kids and luggage. Lane-centering, radar cruise control, etc.. all work flawlessly at high interstate speeds and make long trips a breeze to drive.

Follow-up to my previous post regarding feedback on the new Sequoia -- Really enjoying it still, if not even more, the longer I've been driving it. Here's a some more observations now that I've had a few thousand miles with it:

- Gas mileage (as noted before, quite a bit lower than sticker when driving around town) is the same if not better when using Normal mode vs. Eco mode for daily driving around town (mixed urban/metro and suburban areas). It seems that Eco mode is best used when on high speed highways/interstate and long-distance driving. When in Eco mode around town/locally, throttle response and performance is notably lessened (vs. Normal mode) but still 'fair/good', yet there's really no gain in gas mileage. Normal mode provides a very good throttle response/performance driving feel and gas mileage is similar or better. Sport mode is wildly powerful and really lowers mpg.

- Had a few issues with the retractable running boards making loud metallic clunky/scratchy sounds when retracting (not when deploying) but only sporadically, and one instance of them failing to retract fully, which led to a message on the dash cluster saying the 'door steps unable to retract' or something like that, despite there being no physical occlusion or contact with any debris or object. Had to put in park, open the door, and then re-enter to trigger the retraction mechanism again, and then it worked fine and hasn't done it again since.. Kinda odd.

- The rear hatch/door can be finicky with the foot-swipe opening from outside; sometimes it just beeps once after the foot-swipe and doesn't open, then you try again, and it beeps twice and opens (no idea why). I also can't figure out how to use the close-lock (instead of the close only) button on the hatch when it's open. When I press the close-lock button, it just beeps a few times and doesn't close. I've tried it with all doors locked and all doors unlocked, doesn't matter. Might be just me not knowing what it's supposed to do or when it can be used, but I can't figure it out after multiple attempts.

- Auto-high/low beam headlight function isn't as reliable as I had hoped. It sometimes fails to dim to low beams when there's oncoming traffic at night on rural roads, and it seems to happen more frequently than it should, but it's still pretty infrequent and not a problem often enough to cause me to disable it.

- No other issues in general; very fun/comfortable to drive and maneuver despite its size, and I've gotten many compliments on it. Absolutely excellent for road trips with the family/kids and luggage. Lane-centering, radar cruise control, etc.. all work flawlessly at high interstate speeds and make long trips a breeze to drive.
Those are great points thank you for taking the time to post that. Seems like they are somewhat 'standard' first year model nuances that will hopefully be ironed out with the next years run. Or at least I hope so. We shall see... I've never been a big fan of purchasing the first run of a new model, but I will say I have never been more tempted about any other vehicle than this new Sequoia

The rear hatch close-lock is done when the key is in the rear hatch zone when you're pressing the button. If it works, it'll chime twice then continuously chime until you leave the rear hatch area. Then it'll ding and the hatch will close and lock.

Hope this helps.

The rear hatch close-lock is done when the key is in the rear hatch zone when you're pressing the button. If it works, it'll chime twice then continuously chime until you leave the rear hatch area. Then it'll ding and the hatch will close and lock.

Hope this helps.
THANK YOU! I just tried it and it worked as you said. I guess it wants to 'know' that the key is not at risk of being locked in the trunk, so it waits until the key is out of range before closing -- makes sense. Thanks again.

THANK YOU! I just tried it and it worked as you said. I guess it wants to 'know' that the key is not at risk of being locked in the trunk, so it waits until the key is out of range before closing -- makes sense. Thanks again.
Agreed, this is awesome info. I swear I read the manual cover to cover back in February, but somehow glossed over this...

Yeah, unfortunately it wasn't super intuitive.
Glad I could help!

Hope this helps.
I also discovered the proximity piece yesterday- had a rental Yukon out in Colorado that would attempt to eat you - literally had like .2 seconds to move before that bad jackson would chomp down....thank you Mr T for thinking of my (or my kids') safety...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom