2023 hvac/natural gas issues/replacement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been piecemealing our builder grade hvac/heat for 23 years now, and it may be time for replacement. I have a flame rollout switch that has been tripping the last two nights. My burners are oriented vertically, with flame rollout switches at the top and bottom. Its always the top rollout switch that trips. Today, i removed the burners, cleaned them, checked the inside part of the flue pipe for blockages. Still need to climb up on the roof to make sure i dont have an obstruction at the cap.

Ive got new rollout switches arriving today that ill swap in.

Other than a clogged or cracked manifold, what other possibilities could it be?

For those in the business, if we go for replacement, what brands are recommended, and what rebates are there for high efficiency units? Vendor recommendations in the Greensboro area are also appreciated .

Thanks,
Steve

Roll out switches are like the oil light on the trucks. They dont go bad they tell you something is bad. You have a cracked heat exchanger my friend

Flame most likely is dancing. Turn the unit on and have someone close the house door hard. Stay back and watch the flame rolling out.

Roll out switches are like the oil light on the trucks. They dont go bad they tell you something is bad. You have a cracked heat exchanger my friend
I was afraid of that. I was hoping that the gusty winds were backing up the flue and causing the rollback.

It tripped twice last winter, during 30+ winds...

If ill be replacing the system, what would the pros and cons be to add some ducting, and maybe a return in the garage? Would be 20 ft of ducting. Would be nice to open up the vents and returb. and work in the garage on days where it would be too hot or cold to have the door open.

@Roxx just did a full replacement HVAC and rebuilt my vent system to improve flow. Amazing service, clearly a hookup on the pricing, and he was willing to travel all the way up here to the boonies of GSO like you :)

You like to live on the edge. 30 year old tripping roll out switches for a couple of years and fixing it with a return to the garage. Are you suicidal??

Those two trips were 4 months apart, both during the two larger wind and snow events we had. Not even a hiccup between them.

What brands should i be looking at. And what brands to avoid?

Trane or carrier. Aboit lennox and amana/goodman.

If you want to condition the garage, buy a mini split. Do not mix the house with the garage. It is not worth the risk. Keep it independent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom