2021 Labor Day Weekend Trail Run: South Baldy Loop (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have any pictures of this area or a map that shows where it is? Just trying to get an idea of what it is like. If it is a area I have been looking to check out I might go and be able to convince the wife to come along.

Is it in the Tabacoo roots? Anyone camping out there?
I edited the first post to include a map. It's almost directly west of Ennis Lake and that area is within the Tobacco Roots. I'm planning to do it as a day trip with a few stops at the old mine sites along the way.

I'm up for a Labor Day weekend run, I read through this post but wasn't able to find a definite trip, who's up for ride and where are we going??

I'm up for a Labor Day weekend run, I read through this post but wasn't able to find a definite trip, who's up for ride and where are we going??
DId I miss it, what day?
The Details:
Meet at the McAllister Inn Steakhouse at 0900. That'll save anyone running an F engine the embarrassment of getting seen being passed by bicyclists on the hill between Norris and McAllister. Be fueled up and ready to go when you arrive. We'll head west on N Meadow Creek Rd until the intersection with S Meadow Creek Rd, where the pavement ends. We'll stop to air down there, and then continue on S Meadow Creek Rd to the Missouri Millsite, and then turn onto South Baldy Mtn Rd. We'll follow the loop to Washington Creek Rd and back to S Meadow Creek Rd.

Date(s):
Monday 6September2021

Time:

5566 Highway 287 N
McAllister, MT
45.443075, -111.731360

Sounds great I've been wanting to do that exact loop I'll see you guys there Monday morning

Stock fj on this trail doable? Anyone have that guy sailers the welder guy number? I need to get some sliders. (i think his name was sailer in Belgrade?) finally got some time to do some work on my fj in the next month or so.

Stock fj on this trail doable? Anyone have that guy sailers the welder guy number? I need to get some sliders. (i think his name was sailer in Belgrade?) finally got some time to do some work on my fj in the next month or so.
I'm sure you could do it in a stock FJ but after you turn off the main road on to South Baldy Mountain road the trail gets considerably rocky and some extra ground clearance is needed, I know the last time I went up at I bumped a few rocks with my skid plates and I have a lift. 10 ply tires are also a must on this particular stretch of the trail as stated earlier it is quite rocky.

I'm sure you could do it in a stock FJ but after you turn off the main road on to South Baldy Mountain road the trail gets considerably rocky and some extra ground clearance is needed, I know the last time I went up at I bumped a few rocks with my skid plates and I have a lift. 10 ply tires are also a must on this particular stretch of the trail as stated earlier it is quite rocky.
Ok thanks looks like I’m going to have to take a rain check on this run, got to get that suspension kit on! Maybe some new tires as well

Ok thanks looks like I’m going to have to take a rain check on this run, got to get that suspension kit on! Maybe some new tires as well
No better reason to get new tires than because the old ones are worn out, and no better place to wear tires out than on a trail.

So it looks like there will be two of us. I'll check this again tonight for any late additions, but I probably won't check in the morning. If you make a last minute decision to show up, I'll be monitoring 146.460 mhz, you can meet up at McAllister Inn Steakhouse Bar, or you can catch us just west of there at the end of the pavement where we'll air down.

I wanna go, but I have to work.:frown: Make sure you take that left turn and head to the top at around 10k ft elevation. Chad knows the turn at the "T".

Remember that steep climb if you decide to go back down and not make the loop because it will heat up your brakes.

If you have the time I would go up to S. Meadow Creek Lake because you are almost there. Take your fishing gear.

Well, it didn't go to plan. My electric fan died along the way and forced an early turnaround. Thanks to @Boondocker_153 for the troubleshooting help, for packing some duct tape, and for making sure I made it back to civilization. I'm bummed that my truck let me down and that it cut the trip short for somebody else. I'm not sure what steps to take next. Back to a mechanical fan? Maybe pusher fans for auxiliary cooling? The never ending project is truly never ending.

Well, it didn't go to plan. My electric fan died along the way and forced an early turnaround. Thanks to @Boondocker_153 for the troubleshooting help, for packing some duct tape, and for making sure I made it back to civilization. I'm bummed that my truck let me down and that it cut the trip short for somebody else. I'm not sure what steps to take next. Back to a mechanical fan? Maybe pusher fans for auxiliary cooling? The never ending project is truly never ending.
It's all good @pigmony I'm just glad that things happened when they did and not deeper in the woods. At the end of the day all that matters is that we all made it out.

As far as the fan goes, everyone has an opinion, but from my experience I have seen more issues and failures with electric fans than mechanical ones, but they both have pro's and cons.

It's all good @pigmony I'm just glad that things happened when they did and not deeper in the woods. At the end of the day all that matters is that we all made it out.

As far as the fan goes, everyone has an opinion, but from my experience I have seen more issues and failures with electric fans than mechanical ones, but they both have pro's and cons.

20210906_094802.jpg

As far as places for something to go wrong, that was a pretty good spot. The old truck does pretty well above 35 mph, even with no fan at all, but the temp did come up a bit going over that hill between Ennis and Norris.

Short term, I'll put the mechanical fan back on. Long term, I'm not sure what to do. I've got access to a CNC laser and CNC brake, so I think step one is to over-build a shroud for the mechanical fan. Then maybe add a low-profile pusher fan to the front? We'll see.

Additionally, besides the normal OnX issues (bad map resolution, not accurately sensing direction, not functioning in landscape orientation, not being able to exit waypoint creation) it failed to record my track. It's been deleted from my devices. I sent in a support ticket this morning to figure out how to delete my account. Their Hunt product is excellent. Their Offroad product is terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom