2021 Labor Day Weekend Trail Run: South Baldy Loop (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure a lot of folks already have plans for Labor Day, but I bet there's a few who don't and might enjoy a trail run. If that sounds like you, go ahead and post which days you have open and any trails you'd be interested in running. I'll edit this post as we iron out the details.

The Details:
Meet at the McAllister Inn Steakhouse at 0900. That'll save anyone running an F engine the embarrassment of getting seen being passed by bicyclists on the hill between Norris and McAllister. Be fueled up and ready to go when you arrive. We'll head west on N Meadow Creek Rd until the intersection with S Meadow Creek Rd, where the pavement ends. We'll stop to air down there, and then continue on S Meadow Creek Rd to the Missouri Millsite, and then turn onto South Baldy Mtn Rd. We'll follow the loop to Washington Creek Rd and back to S Meadow Creek Rd.

Date(s):
Monday 6September2021

Time:

5566 Highway 287 N
McAllister, MT
45.443075, -111.731360

South Baldy Loop.jpg

Confirmed:
@pigmony

Last edited:
Personally, I'd prefer a day trip on Saturday or Monday. I'm interested in exploring more of the Tobacco Roots, the Gravelly Range, or maybe even further west to try to make it a reasonable trip for the Missoula crowd.

My response:

Date(s): SEP 3,4,5

Time: Start NLT 10am

South Baldy (Tobacco Root) preferred, or possibly Ringing Rocks.

I don't have rock sliders yet on my Taco. I don't think I could get through North Meadows/McKelvey or McCarty Creek without significant damage.

My response:

Date(s): SEP 3,4,5

Time: Start NLT 10am

I don't have rock sliders yet on my Taco. I don't think I could get through North Meadows/McKelvey or McCarty Creek without significant damage.
north meadows is closed until July 2022

I've done Ringing Rocks solo, but I'd be up to do it again.

I haven’t done South Baldy. OnX says it's only a 4 mile trail but it takes 3 hours. (sigh) Sometimes crowd sourced data is really bad. My guess is that it's 3 hours, out and back, from Virginia City. I'd be up for giving that a try.

north meadows is closed until July 2022
Aaron, Ha! That should give me plenty of time to get my rock sliders. Thanks for the heads up.

one of theses sundays i wanna make a run out to elkhorn. easy peasy trail. gotta see my crystal guy. could happen this weekend or the next. hard to say becuase bird season is opening next weekend

one of theses sundays i wanna make a run out to elkhorn. easy peasy trail. gotta see my crystal guy. could happen this weekend or the next. hard to say becuase bird season is opening next weekend
Ringing Rocks to Elkhorn?

Ringing Rocks to Elkhorn?
we could hit that route too but i was refering to the skyline mine in and out that ends in elkhorn.

Skyline Mine Trail sounds like it has a nice payoff. McCarty Creek to Skyline? That makes for 28ish trail miles at 3/4:10.

Skyline Mine Trail sounds like it has a nice payoff. McCarty Creek to Skyline? That makes for 28ish trail miles at 3/4:10.
its a good one. well worth it. are you trying to map this on OnX or something? the trail portion is NOT 28 miles

its a good one. well worth it. are you trying to map this on OnX or something? the trail portion is NOT 28 miles
Yeah, on OnX. McCarty Creek is ~10 miles and Skyline Mine is ~4 miles, and run them on the way in and out. ~28 miles. Or are the distances totally off?

McCarty Creek looked too technical for my stock rig and no rock sliders, which is why I recommended the others. But I am open to the possibility. I'm far from an expert on any MT trails. Just going by what I found on OnX.

McCarty Creek looked too technical for my stock rig and no rock sliders, which is why I recommended the others. But I am open to the possibility. I'm far from an expert on any MT trails. Just going by what I found on OnX.
McCarty Creek is rated 4:10 on OnX, which is the same as Ringing Rocks. I'm not sure how accurate those ratings are though.

McCarty Creek is rated 4:10 on OnX, which is the same as Ringing Rocks. I'm not sure how accurate those ratings are tho
ive been everywhere up there and can tell you youll be fine. I would not rely on OnX when there plenty of people who actually know the area

Maybe, someday, we could accumulate enough information to put together a club trail guide.

Maybe, someday, we could accumulate enough information to put together a club trail guide.
i had a website, well i still do. but i have archived all my trails ;) i posted trail reports, GPS and difficulty guide, its quite a resource but ive decided not to make it public knoledge anymore

sliders yet on my Taco. I don't think I could get through North Meadows/McKelvey or McCarty Creek without significant damage.
Correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom