TLCA 2019 Rubithon Wagon Run (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have my Fj if they would not mind riding in the back seat . I will have my lab puppy with me though that they would have to share space with . But she is only 3 weeks old rt now so not very big . And i will be leaving Early early Sunday To assist everyone getting out On Cadillac Hill
I’ll be in touch!!! Thank you!

Having just been over the Sierras I can attest first hand that the snow is still falling. Crazy. Having said that - how are the rigs coming??? I've just put my truck, aka 'the Goat', through it's road and off-road paces and am feeling pretty good. If you need help, sing out and if we can help we will.
SEP_2873_DxO.jpg

Having just been over the Sierras I can attest first hand that the snow is still falling. Crazy. Having said that - how are the rigs coming??? I've just put my truck, aka 'the Goat', through it's road and off-road paces and am feeling pretty good. If you need help, sing out and if we can help we will. View attachment 1988054
YUP
8C0F8529-9E08-4A05-A343-9D13E05CE830.jpeg
3E3CAA31-4713-41DD-852F-70DB6A04A6B7.jpeg

In case you haven’t heard, Eldorado National Forest has closed the campgrounds and dispersed camping areas on the north shore of Loon Lake that are popular with many for the Tuesday night before the run, since unless you’re local you need to be camped in close proximity to meet up at 7 am at the staging area - see the map below for the closure area. So, many have asked where to camp? There are other places in the general area to camp, but what myself and others like to do is start up the trail, going about 50 yards past the staging area and it’s restrooms below the damn. This puts you on top of some slabs in an open area, but still close enough to walk back and use the restrooms if desired. It’s located about where the road goes off the map at the top of the attached. Regardless of where you camp, I’m looking forward to seeing everyone for the Run!
2CC27140-6575-4E4B-9C42-756E3DA5AC14.jpeg

Hey Steve, I’m going to rubicon July 12-14. Won’t go past the springs if even that far. Johnny has offered some good info for our September trip to Montana.

Last edited:
Hey Steve, I’m going to rubicon July 12-14. Won’t go past the springs if even that far. Johnny has offered some good info for our September trip to Montana.
Good deal, post pics!

Did they say why the closure?

Never mind:

U.S. Forest Service - Eldorado National Forest
July 2 at 3:27 PM ·
LOON LAKE NORTHSHORE DISPERSED CAMPING CLOSURE ALERT - Northshore Campground & Adjacent Dispersed Camping Areas are Closed in 2019
Due to a facility upgrade project and needed area restoration, Northshore Campground and adjacent dispersed camping areas will be closed during the 2019 camping season. A Forest Order has been issued to close the project area and dispersed camping areas adjacent to the original campground boundary. This campground and closure area is located near the Ellis Trailhead on the north shore of Loon Lake and is popular with the Rubicon 4x4 Trail and dispersed camping users. Ice House Road will remain open during this time to provide access to the Rubicon Trail; however, expect minor traffic delays during weekdays. We ask for your patience while construction activities take place.
PLEASE PLAN AHEAD. If you were planning a visit to the north end of Loon Lake, it is recommended to find an alternative location for your forest visit as a large portion of developed and dispersed camping will be closed for the entire 2019 camping season.
Over the next few years, many of the facilities located in the Crystal Basin Recreation Area will be reconstructed and some of the facilities will have new features added for our visitors’ enjoyment. Northshore campground will be expanded and upgraded, adding 40% more camp sites. Additionally, a water system and two additional restroom buildings will be installed. Although there will be a short-term inconvenience, this closure will allow for some exciting improvements to the Northshore Campground.

Lake Aloha (from Eldorado NF facebook page):
ALOHA!.jpg

Note that the weather forecast for next week is looking rather cool, with overnight lows in the mid 30’s to mid 40’s - plan accordingly!

So another year goes into the record books. Yeah, there was one night early in the week when the weather was cool, but all the days were absolutely gorgeous. Steve did an excellent job organizing and leading the run, although due to a bit of breakage on Mtn Goat he had to hand over most of the second day to the Wagon Run Trail Committee from Lone Star Land Cruisers (Heather and David) and CottonLand Cruisers (@Bossman and @Fireman) -- all very competent leaders/spotters who made sure everyone made it to camp safe and sound. It was great to see a range of rigs on this run, including FJ60's, 80's, FourRunner and an FJ Cruiser. Due to the change in dates Steve did not have the usual wife/sons-and-wives/fiancees Pryor clan to assist, but nevertheless pulled it all off in outstanding fashion. It takes a bunch of time and good organizational skills to lead the biggest run of Rubithon, and my hat goes off to Steve for making it happen.

Last edited:
Great run through the Rubicon. I especially enjoy the extended stay at Buck Island. It's an extreme decompression from real life.

That Saturday night at Loon Lake was COLD. Otherwise, the temps were perfect.

Steve got everyone through, though he himself had a bit of bad axle luck. And yep, the fireman, Heather and Bossman got everyone into Rubicon Springs without much drama. Heather might have had some knuckle issues but all fixed in the end.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

And reflecting a bit on the "winch mandatory" aspect of this run, it's a solid call by Steve. We winched maybe 3 times. Each time brought increased trail speed and decreased risk of breakage.

Lets see some photos! Wish I was able to make it this year.

Great run through the Rubicon. I especially enjoy the extended stay at Buck Island. It's an extreme decompression from real life.

That Saturday night at Loon Lake was COLD. Otherwise, the temps were perfect.

Steve got everyone through, though he himself had a bit of bad axle luck. And yep, the fireman, Heather and Bossman got everyone into Rubicon Springs without much drama. Heather might have had some knuckle issues but all fixed in the end.

I'm already looking forward to next year.

And reflecting a bit on the "winch mandatory" aspect of this run, it's a solid call by Steve. We winched maybe 3 times. Each time brought increased trail speed and decreased risk of breakage.
Thank you for the help and info, much appreciated!

Yeah, some pics for some of us who were working. :(
As Tom @TrickyT said, another year is in the books. I learned a lot this year, and not just because I broke the short side rear axle shaft, but because there's no end to the teaching that comes from running the trail. Everyone on the run was great. Good equipment, good people, everyone willing to jump in and help. Ultimately that's what makes a great Wagon Run. To my committee Heather @CandyPants , Daryl @Bossman and Dave @Fireman thank you so much for all your help. You made the run just flow, not to mention picking up the slack when I broke, and I really enjoyed getting to know you better. Tom and Andy, thanks for letting me into your kitchen for so many meals. Not only was it always fantastic, it simplified my life tremendously.

It's been tough getting back to work. My mind keeps wondering to so many great moments on the trail and in camp, even when just driving around to the point where I have to consciously NOT think about the trip so I'll pay attention to the road. Like when I was watching @brooksfj60 in my rear view mirror pull off a nice front wave in a seemingly innocuous section of the trail...

I really appreciated ALL the run participants showing up with ham gear this year. Thank you. It made communication very easy, and everyone was informed about what was going on where. And repeating Andy @Cruiserdrew once again the winches were employed to good effect. This will remain a run requirement.

Oh, @Onur , you weren't even there but you saved my bacon!!!! I converted the Goat rear to 80 series FF, and Andy had the shaft that I needed - from your old truck! Thanks, amigo!

I'm so ready for next year already, although I might give the Goat a good inside out cleaning first...

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0394.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0557.JPG

Steve, there are more dents in that rear quarter panel than I remember being there last year.

Did you determine a cause for the axle failure, or was it just bad luck.

Steve, there are more dents in that rear quarter panel than I remember being there last year.
Yep, but they came from a river crossing on the Sourgrass Trail earlier this year!

Did anyone ever hear what happened to the FJCruiser that was broken at the bottom of Cadillac hill? He needed some parts I believe. Every year that exact spot claims a few. It's usually a broken pinion.

Thank you for the help and info, much appreciated!

No problem, Bob and good to see you and the family again. Please let me know what you find the fuel issue to be.

Looking forward to next year!!

Good, so the new job gives you some time off? I hope you do make it.

Last edited:
Did anyone ever hear what happened to the FJCruiser that was broken at the bottom of Cadillac hill? He needed some parts I believe. Every year that exact spot claims a few. It's usually a broken pinion.

No problem, Bob and good to see you and the family again. Please let me know what you find the fuel issue to be.

Good, so the new job gives you some time off? I hope you do make it.
I saw on FB that Jeff in the FJ needed a bolt for his front end, and i think Marlin had it or fixed him up and he got out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom