Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Coming along nicely! So many things I had planned to install on mine in the coming weeks but given the circumstances I have put a lot of that on hold for the moment.

I planned on deliveries slowing or even stopping some so I have a lot of parts stocked up and few items left over from my last build.

That being said I am still working as well but I guessing that come to a halt soon. No remote or working at home for me.

I planned on deliveries slowing or even stopping some so I have a lot of parts stocked up and few items left over from my last build.

That being said I am still working as well but I guessing that come to a halt soon. No remote or working at home for me.

I can see the system getting backed up and deliveries slowing but I doubt they stop altogether, far too many people rely on their meds through the mail and a large majority are getting their everyday essentials through the system as well. Quite honestly this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion by the media stoking fear and sensationalizing it all IMHO, but that's a topic for another discussion. I plan to do some much needed work this coming on the bike after the Big Bend trip we just returned from. We are stuck working from home and hopefully not killing one another in the process lol.

So last weekend had me installing the Ironman Premium bumper. This is a “cut” bumper meaning the plastic factory bumper cover is cut and retained in some areas. Mind you this bumper is designed for the Land Cruiser Prado 150 and they are not exactly the same as a Lexus GX 460 150 very similar but not exactly. Some installation difficulty ensued. The power steering line that runs in front and at the bottom of the radiator needs to be rerouted and brackets modified, bolt orientation needs to swapped opposing directions due to thread contact on the radiator which has to be displaced. The parking sensor orientation has to be considered as well. That being stated Chris from Ironman warned me it was a full weekend install. He was not wrong with that statement. The final result did come out quite well. I am a Airframe and Power Plant mechanic by trade so my level of scrutiny is at a higher intensity than yours may be.

A71CF36D-A1A9-483E-8E73-7FE8CE90D1E6.jpeg
View attachment 2249366View attachment 2249366
B8B012D6-EE50-4C52-AB54-E4F389B14A03.jpeg
8B05ECD4-718C-4D7C-BA91-DA42A91610AC.jpeg
6758BC73-8C04-4781-AD28-6675E3544B25.jpeg

All said and done I removed 67 lbs of factory bumper parts, approximately half the weight of the new winch bumper.

Last edited:
So last weekend had me installing the Ironman Premium bumper. This is a “cut” bumper meaning the plastic factory bumper cover is cut and retained in some areas. Mind you this bumper is designed for the Land Cruiser Prado 150 and they are not exactly the same as a Lexus GX 460 150 very similar but not exactly. Some installation difficulty ensued. The power steering line that runs in front and at the bottom of the radiator needs to be rerouted and brackets modified, bolt orientation needs to swapped opposing directions due to thread contact on the radiator which has to be displaced. The parking sensor orientation has to be considered as well. That being stated Chris from Ironman warned me it was a full weekend install. He was not wrong with that statement. The final result did come out quite well. I am a Airframe and Power Plant mechanic by trade so my level of scrutiny is at a higher intensity than yours may be.

View attachment 2249365View attachment 2249366View attachment 2249366View attachment 2249372View attachment 2249374View attachment 2249373

All said and done I removed 67 lbs of factory bumper parts, approximately half the weight of the new winch bumper.
I have to chuckle that your photo shows that shinny new IronMan bumper with the ARB banner just behind it! :rofl:
Also, that's great that you've jettisoned about half the weight of the bumper.... Until you get your winch!
Nice job! Looks really good!

Last edited:
I have to chuckle that you photo shows that shinny new IronMan bumper with the ARB banner just behind it! :rofl:
Also, that's great that you've jettisoned about half the weight of the bumper.... Until you get your winch!
Nice job! Looks really good!

Thanks! ARB wouldn’t confirm that there bumper would fit, so what is one to do?

Thats ok though they got plenty of my money for the dual air compressor, fridge and a few pieces of recovery gear.

Awesome progress! I'm also in Seattle and starting to build out my 2016 Premium so will be following along closely! Will also look at your class schedules after COVID-19 settles down.

Awesome progress! I'm also in Seattle and starting to build out my 2016 Premium so will be following along closely! Will also look at your class schedules after COVID-19 settles down.

We appreciate it! We have some private land lined up for skills building classes after CV-19 settles out. We are waiting on Oregon WDF permits in the Tillamook State Forest when this all happened.

So with the bumper installed I was ready for the winch. I have long been a fan of Warn and having worked with them on demos at various overland shows in the PNW they were the obvious choice for this build. Come Up was a close second but Warn's customer service is outstanding and the Zeon platform is hard to beat. IP 68 rated and still made in the USA. I went with the 10s, s designating synthetic winch line.

Synthetic winch line that I wont be using, Warn's Spydura line is a quality product but I prefer to use Safe Xtract Plasma rope instead. The Safe Xtract is 60' long 7/16" diameter and has a MTS of 21,000 lbs. Why only 60'? Winches only pull at rated power on the first layer of wraps on the drum, thus having only to pull 50'or so off the drum to get to maximum capacity vs 90' of the Spydura. I can add a winch extension if I need more length. A Factor 55 Flatlink E will be attached to the end for a closed loop system.

Fitting the Zeon into the cradle was no easy task. I had approximately 6 3/4" of space and the winch with the control pack removed is 7 3/4". Ironman really wants to sell you one of there winches to make an easy installation.

There is a stamped piece that attached to the remaining bumper cover that was going to need be removed to make room. After consideration and a cup of coffee I chose to drill out two spot weld and unbolt the remainder of the bracket. If need be I can bolt the whole assembly back in.

0EBFC6FF-F717-48F5-ABED-43A005370677.jpeg
35B2AFD7-CA4A-48EF-8DF7-E2483FA6915D.jpeg
C9F49418-6914-442F-ADB9-5F2C90EE5074.jpeg

Once the bracket was removed the winch slipped right in. The next issue was to locate a place for the control pack that would minimize airflow impact to the radiator. This also made it super simple to connect the wired remote. YES wired remote, I am not a fan of wireless controllers and prefer KISS.

The Warn relocation kit came with a bracket that needed a bit of manipulation, a bend here and a cut there and the control pack found a new home. I located 4 mount holes on the bumper and made a couple spacers for the front angle and bolted it down.

F2AF02A4-E191-4048-9C62-D741D1D037C0.jpeg
3BBF2653-2EBD-461C-9CC4-CFEF4B8E843E.jpeg
C1B7B1D7-588D-45C7-8A3D-9EB2F296CC2C.jpeg
EEBB11F0-F52E-4ED4-98F2-711F4DB8419C.jpeg
7CF1FD3A-EEE9-48B9-A32E-D9275BFFC9C9.jpeg

Reactions: r2m
Once the control pack was bolted down and wired up it was just a matter of installing the Hawse fairlead (temporary) and spool the winch line on. I will be installing a roller fairlead as synthetic winch line does not like heat and when you drag the line across the Hawse under load it creates heat and will melt the rope.

6B275A49-25C4-4B4A-8A66-DB2E09AD1F28.jpeg
75B7D5E1-590C-492C-9326-FB7050C7A402.jpeg
F7445FFB-976B-4CA9-AEBB-4B350471FC85.jpeg
70F614CD-34A3-4302-BE8B-C5CCB0E9F7BC.jpeg

Last edited:
Part of the problem with modern vehicles is the pedestrian crash mitigation and the Lexus serves it up by having a large snout. This in turn causes manufactures to place the winch mount way back almost out of site as close to the frame as possible. This is a problem when winching and watching the line feed on the drum. It also causes issues for engaging and free spooling the winch. Part of the mitigation was moving the control pack to the bumper shell but I also needed to cut a access hole in the under hood plastic trim to engage the winch. Yes I'll need to pop the hood to do so. If I should need to correct an entanglement I can pop the trim off in a matter of seconds. So out came the 4 1/2" hole saw.

CE270B30-2500-4B4E-A5F0-583F89A8E3A5.jpeg
122C1C7B-D25D-46CC-80EE-C8B24913A429.jpeg

Last edited:
Overall I am very happy with he results. It is a compromise for sure in the hardcore winching situation but I've mitigated the pit falls and this will allow me to demonstrate the real issues on contemporary bumper design and what can be done to mitigate the issues.

I really think I need to purchase some black anodized bolts for the control pack mount, OCD?

Last edited:
Regarding your comment about wireless controllers, I too prefer hard wire.
Unless I use something all the time and can properly cycle rechargeable batteries (charge/discharge) often, I'd just assume use wired tools and accessories.
My controller has about 12 foot or more of cord, plenty of length to be either in my vehicle or off to the side. It takes nothing to pop my hood to plug it in.
And since I do have synthetic line, I'm not too worried about snap back if the line should break, albeit, I still like being way off to the side when I winch.

Looks nice on there! But seems like your front is dying for the Radflo setup to get here :D

Ran it across the local transfer station scale today. Full tank of fuel and me out of the GX. It came in @ 5260 lbs, so I am 60 lbs above where I started @ stock weight of 5200 lbs.

Roof rack, rear receiver hitch and HAM radio base plate are on the agenda the next few days.

Ran it across the local transfer station scale today. Full tank of fuel and me out of the GX. It came in @ 5260 lbs, so I am 60 lbs above where I started @ stock weight of 5200 lbs.

Roof rack, rear receiver hitch and HAM radio base plate are on the agenda the next few days.

That’s super impressive. I’m also trying to be conscious of GVWR and weight distribution front/back & top/bottom as I’m building out my ‘16 GX460. Any tips on how to think about this, and do you think someone can overthink the whole topic of weight and how it’s distributed?

That’s super impressive. I’m also trying to be conscious of GVWR and weight distribution front/back & top/bottom as I’m building out my ‘16 GX460. Any tips on how to think about this, and do you think someone can overthink the whole topic of weight and how it’s distributed?

I feel its imperative to think of weight distribution and equipment placement. For the most part you want to keep weight between the front and rear axles and as low as possible. Keep heavy items below the window belt. Obliviously you can't be precise with out wheel scales at all 4 corners but you can be close.

For instance my recovery gear will be placed where the second row right side captains seat was in the storage hutch. Hand tools will be placed in the drawer that pulls out at the rear door but in the forward end of the drawer so when closed they'll be forward of the rear axle. Opposite of the fuel tank. The whole drawer/storage hutch/platform will be located on the right side of the vehicle. My two 5 gallon water jugs will be located in front of the rear axle in basically the foot well of the third row passengers on the left side.

I am still working out in my head to avoid installing two batteries side by side in the stock location. I really disliked that on my Taco and want to come up with a better solution. So very little room under the hood though.

On my roof rack the Pull Pal land anchor will be placed just above the front passengers seat and Max Trax opposite of the Pull Pal. Solar Panel will likely run down the center hoping not to block sun light through the sun roof. Unfortunately my spare will be on the roof rack until I can find a rear bumper solution.

I currently have some steel skid plates installed but am very unhappy with then and wanting on another brand to contact me about a solution.

Many moving parts to this chess game.

The spare on the roof will kill you CG.
Long time ago I built a F350 Crewcab overlander with a 37" spare tire on the roof rack. I think that may have contributed to me rolling it in an on-road accident.
If at all possible, hang it off the back end.

The spare on the roof will kill you CG.
Long time ago I built a F350 Crewcab overlander with a 37" spare tire on the roof rack. I think that may have contributed to me rolling it in an on-road accident.
If at all possible, hang it off the back end.

I appreciate your comment but apparently you didn’t read that putting it on the roof was a temporary situation until I find a rear bumper solution to permanently place the spare. I know and understand the effects of putting a 100 lbs wheel/tire assembly 6’ in the air. I’ve had three roof top tents sold them all due to the negative effects caused by heavy items 6’ off the ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom