Builds 2018 Premium 460 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Regarding the resonator, last year when rock crawling a difficult section of trail, my backed my rig into a rock that pushed the tailpipe forward.
This caused it to push the "hoop" that goes over the rear axle to be pinched off, read: no exhaust! Tried to cut the pinched section off but couldn't get a saw in the available space. Finally just unbolted the resonator from the exhaust, just forward of the rear axle.
Long story, short, running the rest of the day and next two days waiting for a new one from the dealer, I did not notice any change in interior volume.
I've logged that adventure in my build thread if you want to see exact what happened.
Page 4, post # 64

This was the plan all along. Seeing your incident convinced me it is a worth while endeavor, thanks for posting that.

I had a little time this morning before work for a quick mod. When I removed the second row seats this caused an airbag warning light to illuminate. I found a thread on here that has a fix for this.

2nd row removal and SRS fix

The end result works brilliantly! Parts list and how to in the thread.

C54B9AF6-21B7-4A5F-B366-39951B22D4C3.jpeg
6F7F56CB-389D-4213-9C36-7DD74070BA18.jpeg

I enjoyed attending a three amigo session at NW Overland Rally - will you bring your new build to Plain this year?
I'm also doing a 460 build (2013) and removed the third row seats (great to see the weights you captured) to add a wood based cargo platform.
Good success in the build

I enjoyed attending a three amigo session at NW Overland Rally - will you bring your new build to Plain this year?
I'm also doing a 460 build (2013) and removed the third row seats (great to see the weights you captured) to add a wood based cargo platform.
Good success in the build

I am glad you enjoyed the demo/class.

The plan is to be at the Rally in June yes, with the new build!
Hopefully the large gathering limit currently imposed on King, Pierce, and Snohomish counties doesn't expand to the east.

It was a busy weekend! My 3M Thinsulate arrived Friday along with my Kaon back door drop down table.

I camp at ski resorts often in the winter and over the years have learned a few ways to manage the cold. The installation of the Thinsulate will be next level! It has an R5 value and along with the Weather Tech window covers should make it extremely comfortable.

I stuffed Thinsulate anywhere it would fit and installed sound deadener in the rear door as well

091440CF-6D34-4E5D-A60A-7B21205603E7.jpeg
C68ACFA6-FB49-47FA-B1DF-F20EF5C79083.jpeg
5B408CB0-B14A-4A75-89B2-88727E946E02.jpeg
BFE1736D-5DA3-4FAE-92D4-BE46A38D0C6B.jpeg
D1F2F4FC-7ECD-4C5A-9482-95BFD3A709D5.jpeg

The Kaon table came straight from Australia. The shipping was almost as much as the table. I went this direction because everything else would have been a compromise.

The instructions for the table just have you install sheet metal screws directly in to the rear door plastic. Not satisfied with that I purchased some stainless bolts and through bolted it with large fender washers on the back side.

I am extremely pleased with the quality of the table and the rubber isolation used to keep it from rattling. The proof will be in the details once I run some washboard roads.

93E27410-5FFD-4C9D-93AD-5DFD868BD052.jpeg
7B45DF94-8E0A-4A69-9D27-89C3AE7D6C8C.jpeg
CC094BEA-ADF6-421A-A2C0-F834C89CF777.jpeg
4F2E3413-88BD-4421-BDFA-F1B0F18C1917.jpeg
1AD53426-A41E-4C8D-9C15-4A1067AC6161.jpeg

Suspension is on order, supposedly takes three weeks to build the shocks from Radflo. I‘m ok with this but with all the restrictions in limited travel I’m guessing this will stretch the time line.

Trail/TRD Off Road KDSS Full Articulation Kit - Resivoir Front - $3,023.00 : Sonoran Steel Fabrication LLC, Toyota Truck Parts

I went with Sonoran Steel for a few reasons.

1) I’ve know Steve for a few years. Helped out with my Taco suspension build and my daughters 4Runner.

2) One of two companies that would talk with me about spring rates and valving the shocks as needed for the rates. A few of the big name guys wouldn’t even respond to email.

3) The trac bar/pan hard bar is the only one on the market built to work with KDSS. I’ve read in several places that the kit being sold for GX 460/4Runner don‘t work with KDSS and the trac bar makes contact at full droop and compression.

After having to reconfigure my Taco rear suspension twice and front coil shock combo three times I wanted to get it right the first time.

Coming along nicely!!
The only thing a my have done differently would have been to use stainless steel button head hex screws to mount it to the rear door.
Looking forward to see how all your new armor will look when you get it bolted on!

3) The trac bar/pan hard bar is the only one on the market built to work with KDSS. I’ve read in several places that the kit being sold for GX 460/4Runner don‘t work with KDSS and the trac bar makes contact at full droop and compression.

Did you compare the need for a different panhard bar to retaining the factory bar with the Eimkeith panhard correction kit?

Super stoked to see the Ironman front bumper on your rig, I've been eyeing that for some time now.

Coming along nicely!!
The only thing a my have done differently would have been to use stainless steel button head hex screws to mount it to the rear door.
Looking forward to see how all your new armor will look when you get it bolted on!

They are stainless, I live in the PNW on an Island.

Did you compare the need for a different panhard bar to retaining the factory bar with the Eimkeith panhard correction kit?

Super stoked to see the Ironman front bumper on your rig, I've been eyeing that for some time now.

I have had some conversation with someone about this and was unaware of the PCK. He was using the Sonoran Steel kit on the 5th gen 4Runner. He said it works well but was considering using both.

Steve from Sonoran Steel stated that I'd be the first to put it on a GX.

More provisions arrived yesterday. I have long been a fan of Front Runner due to all the optional accessories available and if I don’t like what they offer I can fabricate what I want and bolt it on.

I had one on my Taco for years and made my own Maxtrax holder, side camp light brackets, shovel and ax holders as well.

More provisions arrived yesterday. I have long been a fan of Front Runner due to all the optional accessories available and if I don’t like what they offer I can fabricate what I want and bolt it on.

I had one on my Taco for years and made my own Maxtrax holder, side camp light brackets, shovel and ax holders as well.

52FCB0B2-C6FE-4F92-ABA0-CDC17C18B9F3.jpeg

I have two build schedules. Weekends for large projects that consume numerous hours. Day to day projects when I have an hour or two before or after work.

I started my HAM radio installation. The GX doesn’t offer great spaces to place items so it
won’t look tacky.

I fabricated a simple bracket to mount the control head forward of the shifter handle and a base plate that will reside under the passenger seat for the base unit. Both formed out of 2024T3 .063.

47DCD485-72E3-4200-9BC6-1F527591D88E.jpeg
5DFB8C80-8C25-4E72-9C48-F5C3A6BE1D35.jpeg
F692EDCE-B808-415B-A046-F6C7B722A79D.jpeg
D2B82404-A251-4DAF-AA2D-0397675D0F97.jpeg
820C55E6-2614-4820-B688-A229AE55B4DA.jpeg

Base radio plate.

CFE43EC5-5D8F-4DAC-9399-EA2C535F104C.jpeg
11F49737-1855-4B92-9417-D47757E33E4C.jpeg
6928F0AF-8291-488C-9B2D-B21D60CFBE7E.jpeg
DC1D94D6-DDA7-4CF9-86CB-10FDE64C9499.jpeg

I decided to put a joggle on the aft right seat mount bolt area to accommodate carpet and padding.

This is one of those day to day projects that I'll work progressively over a week or two, one or two hours Monday - Thursday.

Base radio plate.

View attachment 2243762View attachment 2243763View attachment 2243764View attachment 2243765

I decided to put a joggle on the aft right seat mount bolt area to accommodate carpet and padding.

This is one of those day to day projects that I'll work progressively over a week or two, one or two hours Monday - Thursday.
Like mine, I really like the nice clean look of only having a head unit on the dash. Nice execution!
I also mounted my main unit under the drivers seat. I took a slightly different approach in that I just mounted it straight to the seat rail with low profile button head socket screws. After over a year, so far it has worked great!
Nice job on your build so far!

Coming along nicely! So many things I had planned to install on mine in the coming weeks but given the circumstances I have put a lot of that on hold for the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom