2017 Kokopelli Expedition team member thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i guess this will test our homemade ones on my truck.... but at 200k she is allowed some door damage lol

It really blows that Cruise Moab is sold out.

Question Stan... I will have two tents with me... One is a free standing (Does not need stakes) REI 2 man tent... The other is a slightly larger Cabelas tent... But it needs stakes. Will tent stakes work on Kokopelli?

Question Stan... I will have two tents with me... One is a free standing (Does not need stakes) REI 2 man tent... The other is a slightly larger Cabelas tent... But it needs stakes. Will tent stakes work on Kokopelli?

Yes. Both camp locations have perfect ground for staking a tent. We've had folks just throw a pad and sleeping bag on the ground. We'll also have trees that are perfect for a hammock tent too.

Yes. Both camp locations have perfect ground for staking a tent. We've had folks just throw a pad and sleeping bag on the ground. We'll also have trees that are perfect for a hammock tent too.

Forgive me if this sounds like a midwesterner in fear... I was told by some buddies that snakes are a concern when sleeping out in the desert. So... Sleeping in a bag... Will I have to worry about a bunk buddy slithering into my bag?

Forgive me if this sounds like a midwesterner in fear... I was told by some buddies that snakes are a concern when sleeping out in the desert. So... Sleeping in a bag... Will I have to worry about a bunk buddy slithering into my bag?
Oh great. I'm not sure I want to know the answer to that one! ;)

I've only seen one snake (a large gopher snake), similar to a bullsnake on the Kokopelli. Non-venomous, but they do slightly resemble a rattlesnake. We're in a high desert area, so there are obviously snakes, but nothing to be concerned about, especially at night.

The whole idea of snakes moving around at night is somewhat overblown. It will be cool at night, maybe even downright cold. A snake will not leave its current area to go seek out a sleeping bag at night. They're cold-blooded and their activity level at night in cooler climates is almost nonexistent.

If you plan on just using a pad and ground sleeping, don't lay your bag down until you're ready to crawl inside. That will keep the unwanted critters away. They'll already be snuggled in elsewhere.

Coyotes, skunks, badgers, raccoons...... they do move around at night and we will almost certainty hear coyotes yipping, especially early in the morning. We usually have turkeys nearby that will gobble all morning too, especially if it's a little on the warmer side. We'll be camping in a free-range area where sheep and cattle thrive. We'll also be there during the birthing season for sheep. A newborn lamb is a much easier meal than a guy in a sleeping bag surrounded by trucks, so there is absolutely no concern on that front either.

Fish Ford (night one camp) is a flat, wide-open area with grass, scrub and cottonwood trees along the river. Perfect for camping and the potluck dinner. We'll have a great meal together followed by a night around the campfire. A few years ago, we had a monster storm roll though during the night and it was below freezing the following morning. Being prepared for both is a good idea. The last two years have been awesome though. Shorts and t-shirts by 9am.

Something to be prepared for is wind and dust. We always put the open-top 40s up front. This can be a pretty dusty trail. If it gets really bad, we'll slow down and spread out a little bit. I always bring a few handkerchiefs or Buff's to block the sun and keep the dust out of my mouth. You'll want a non-greasy sunscreen too.

Camp area..... night one.
D71_2523 - Copy (1024x678).jpg

Coyotes, skunks, badgers, raccoons...... they do move around at night and we will almost certainty hear coyotes yipping, especially early in the morning. We usually have turkeys nearby that will gobble all morning too, especially if it's a little on the warmer side. We'll be camping in a free-range area where sheep and cattle thrive. We'll also be there during the birthing season for sheep. A newborn lamb is a much easier meal than a guy in a sleeping bag surrounded by trucks, so there is absolutely no concern on that front either.

Fish Ford (night one camp) is a flat, wide-open area with grass, scrub and cottonwood trees along the river. Perfect for camping and the potluck dinner. We'll have a great meal together followed by a night around the campfire. A few years ago, we had a monster storm roll though during the night and it was below freezing the following morning. Being prepared for both is a good idea. The last two years have been awesome though. Shorts and t-shirts by 9am.

Something to be prepared for is wind and dust. We always put the open-top 40s up front. This can be a pretty dusty trail. If it gets really bad, we'll slow down and spread out a little bit. I always bring a few handkerchiefs or Buff's to block the sun and keep the dust out of my mouth. You'll want a non-greasy sunscreen too.

Camp area..... night one.
View attachment 1427229
Boy that looks wonderful! The big stuff I can handle...I love hearing coyotes and seeing other large game and cattle...it's the small s*** like mice, snakes etc that I'm far less fond of. We are getting very excited about this adventure.

Hello everyone,
This will be our 3rd CM and last year I went on the Kokopelli expedition and had a fantastic time and wanted to bring my wife this year. The trail is great and the leaders made it very fun with the many years and miles of experience they have. I have done nothing to the truck except get it out of the tent and clean last years dust off it, with one exception. We have AC this year, since last year i had my windows open and was behind Anders or Time and had to put up with the dust. We will be bringing our dog, Chairman Mao, he is very mello and will be happy to get to know you all. We will be at Rabbit campground the night before so please come say hi if you see us. We are coming from Seattle so if anyone wants to meet up in Bozeman,MT or Jackson, WY for a night on the way let us know. I am not current on medical training but was many years ago and can fix most things that break, unless you buy one of new trucks from the 90"s on.
DSC_2985.JPG
DSC_2913.JPG
DSC_2913.JPG
P1040371.JPG

Getting close!

No one mentioned anything about the potluck yet. This is a great way for us to get together on Tuesday night. Please plan on bringing something to share. We'll arrive at camp pretty early on Tuesday and after camps are set, we'll start working on dinner.

Please bring at least one bundle of firewood as well. We have a great spot for sitting around a campfire. I'll have pork/chicken green chile and all the fixings. If you've never had authentic chiles from Colorado or New Mexico, you're in for a treat. Green chile is not chili. I will make it medium-hot. Not burning, but just a little kick.

@woooody is an award winning BBQ chef and has been recognized by the San Antonio/Las Vegas/Oakland Raiders (sorry Ross) for his tailgate feast at all Raiders home games. No pressure and we know you're traveling all the way from NorCal, but we're expecting something tasty.

FJ6012HT,
Hopefully the soup will not have to endure the travel to Moab! If you want to make it here, Susan and I live in Moab and would be glad to set you up to make it the day before. Anyone else travelling from far places, if you need something (showers, beer, tools, etc) let us know.

We (Ferretlegger [Michael]) and I will bring desserts. Pies, brownies and cookies most likely). Sorry, no ice cream.
Susan

I can bring a pasta salad. I've been know to toast a sweet poptart too.

Oh boy... Lots of pressure here! We are doing Mojave Rd before this. Really want to bring something Midwestern, but I think we will relegated to stopping by the store ahead of the trail.

FJ6012HT,
Hopefully the soup will not have to endure the travel to Moab! If you want to make it here, Susan and I live in Moab and would be glad to set you up to make it the day before. Anyone else travelling from far places, if you need something (showers, beer, tools, etc) let us know.
Thanks so much for the offer, but we are going to come from the north, Jackson so not going through Moab. We have a fridge so it will be just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom