2017 Kokopelli Expedition team member thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I will travel back to Grand Junction on Tuesday morning to pick up our breakfast burritos and coffee. It always takes way longer than expected, so I'm going to get an earlier start this year. Breakfast and coffee are all taken care of. Burritos have been ordered.

Tuesday morning is nice and relaxed. We'll meet at the location pinned in post#1. I'll try to have breakfast and coffee there by 9-ish. Burritos are ready at 8:30 in GJ. We'll eat and get to know each other, have a quick drivers meeting to introduce ourselves and fill out the waivers/insurance/tech inspection forms, then we'll roll out around 10am. @bluecruiser loves to handle waiver forms and do tech inspection, but if someone else is willing to lend a hand, that will help. We're leaving for 3 days and 150 miles, everyone is always ready and tech inspection is just a formality.

Some things to remember:

Fuel (full tank plus extra)
Water
Food (plus something for the potluck)
Firewood
Tent
Camp chair
Camera
Trasharoo or some way to carry trash. (We will stop at pit toilets where there is a place to dump trash on day one and day two)
Sleeping bag
Spare parts
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Baby wipes for cleaning up
Buff/handkerchief
Working CB radio
Spare parts/tools

Someone asked about needing bug spray. Last year was the only time I needed any and that was because we camped along the banks of the Dolores River on night two. Otherwise, you won't need any during the day or at camp on Monday or Tuesday night.

We're going to have a blast. Weather looks fantastic, temps are perfect and this trail is a ton of fun. It's an easy route with a few fun sections sprinkled in. There will be long stretches of two-track with great views, high mesas and easy, relaxed driving. This route really has it all.

Don't forget to fill up, buy beer and food before reaching the trailhead on Tuesday morning. Once we leave the pavement at Tuesday morning's meet-up, you will not have the opportunity to purchase anything until we reach Moab. Fruita, CO is the closest place to camp to buy beer/fuel. Any beer purchased in Utah will be 3.2%. Fruita and Grand Junction will have high test beer and it will be cheaper. Also, beer isn't sold until after 10am in Colorado, so you'll need to have it by Monday night.

Safe travels along the way and we'll see you Monday night or first thing Tuesday morning!

IMG_2848.JPG
Ferretlegger (Michael) is getting ready too. His sailor friends say he carries more parts than a third world country. His newest adventure of 4 Wheeling is shaping up in similar fashion. Like his boat with every bunk taken up with parts I'm beginning to wonder where I'll squeeze in the Tacoma. This is just a sampling of stuff getting organized to go on board the Tacoma.

FYI, for the potluck I am planning on just bringing a couple loafs of garlic break to cook up on the grill, hope that works, seems like bread goes with everything?
Indeed, it does. I'm bringing Tri-Tip, and a new gas grill. We'll see how that goes.

Susan and I are getting excited. We have been working over the truck and accumulating spares and tools we MIGHT need. Hope there is room for us after we get it packed...

For anyone coming to Moab before the Kokopelli, we live in Moab and if anyone is road weary, needs a place to repack or reorganize, get a shower, or even to stash some stuff for a few days, please do not hesitate to give us a call or come by. We have cold beer, 2 showers, and
lots of tools. We also know Moab pretty well if you need anything. My phone is 408-930-6818. The house is 620 Doc Allen Drive, sort of behind the cinema off Kane Creek road. We are the last street under the Moab Rim. We also have a whole bunch of mountain bikes, helmets, packs, etc if anyone likes that sort of thing.

All the best,
Michael

I will be bringing pies, cookies, cornbread and brownies for communal eating.

If it used to be cute I usually can't eat it. ;)

Lol, Do you consider possum cute??

I've been to Alabama....... there's no telling what might be considered redneck game.

You are right and I wonder myself sometimes about what's considered edible by the rural folk but the cajuns outdo us every time. In this case, I plan on doing bacon wrapped venison back straps stuffed with creamed cheese and jalapeños. It's a fine meal and I can assure you it's safe to eat.

I will be staying in Grand Juntion tomorrow night so if anyone needs anything or forgets to pack something, let me know and i would be more than happy to pick it up for you. Have safe travels everyone, see you Tuesday morning.

We are headed over to Rabbit Valley tomorrow about noon from Moab. Who else will be there Monday night? Which cars should we look for? We'll be in a Red Tacoma, roof rack etc...looking ready for over landing. I don't know how busy that camp ground gets. I scoped it out a few months ago and hardly anyone there but that was way before the "season". Susan.

We are headed over to Rabbit Valley tomorrow about noon from Moab. Who else will be there Monday night? Which cars should we look for? We'll be in a Red Tacoma, roof rack etc...looking ready for over landing. I don't know how busy that camp ground gets. I scoped it out a few months ago and hardly anyone there but that was way before the "season". Susan.

I will be there sometime later in the day (I think)

I have to be in Grand Junction early Tuesday to pick up coffee and burritos, so I may stay in GJ tomorrow night to avoid going back and forth. The camp area pinned in post 1 will probably have a few dispersed vehicles, but I've never seen it full. There are thousands of acres of camp area available.

We are on the road coming from north west NM. We should be in the area by 7sh. I'm in a silver 100 with a RTT. We look like the Clampets so we're hard to miss.

We are on the road coming from north west NM. We should be in the area by 7sh. I'm in a silver 100 with a RTT. We look like the Clampets so we're hard to miss.
We are currently in Fruita getting lunch and gas. We'll head over to RV shortly. We're pretty noticeable with the nOoB brand new shiny gas cans on top of a red Tacoma. !! See everyone soon!

Two gen 4 runners and my gen 5 are in GJ right now getting showers, gas and beer at Loves. Beer there in a little bit! Save us a spot!
We're here. Red Toyota Tacoma ... we have room for couple cars. There is one more tent pad left in our area but tents could prolly be pitched on some flat ground. There appear to be other open sites too.

20170503_133643.jpg
20170503_133709_Film7.jpg
20170504_145425.jpg

20170504_152152_HDR_Film8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom