2017 Kokopelli Expedition team member thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

20170504_163443.jpg

Not the best film quality, my hand was starting to get shaky.

Uno Mas,

Its been great everyone, thanks so much we really had the best time. This is where our trail ends, in the parking garadge of a moab hotel. We wish everyone safe travels.
20170504_182337.jpg

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to say thank you for an excellent experience. Susan and I were quite sad to be unable to finish the trip with you, but sometimes things happen. In this case, during the front suspension upgrade, a support for the front differential was fabricated that was not strong enough, and it failed, dropping the input flange to the front diff onto the crossmember. This resulted in a horrendous grinding and rendered 4WD NO GO. We got the truck turned around, went back to camp on 2WD, and drove back to Moab the next morning. Garth also had some problems with his 4Runner transfer case, and we worked together to fix that up. I am sure he will post up his adventures on Saturday on Metal Masher.

The truck has already been repaired, with a support that appears to be able to hang the entire truck from. Susan and I are going to pick it up today.

If any of you are coming to Moab, I hope you will let us know. My email is cmjeffe@attglobal.net, and Susan's is walkersr@att.net

We plan to get onto the Kokopelli trip again next year, but in any case, I hope that we can reconnect with you at Cruise Moab. Thanks for all the support when we broke down. THe trip was a blast!!

All the best,
Michael

Hello Everyone,
I wanted to say thank you for an excellent experience. Susan and I were quite sad to be unable to finish the trip with you, but sometimes things happen. In this case, during the front suspension upgrade, a support for the front differential was fabricated that was not strong enough, and it failed, dropping the input flange to the front diff onto the crossmember. This resulted in a horrendous grinding and rendered 4WD NO GO. We got the truck turned around, went back to camp on 2WD, and drove back to Moab the next morning. Garth also had some problems with his 4Runner transfer case, and we worked together to fix that up. I am sure he will post up his adventures on Saturday on Metal Masher.

The truck has already been repaired, with a support that appears to be able to hang the entire truck from. Susan and I are going to pick it up today.

If any of you are coming to Moab, I hope you will let us know. My email is cmjeffe@attglobal.net, and Susan's is walkersr@att.net

We plan to get onto the Kokopelli trip again next year, but in any case, I hope that we can reconnect with you at Cruise Moab. Thanks for all the support when we broke down. THe trip was a blast!!

All the best,
Michael

Hi Mike, nice to meet you as well. If you have a facebook page please friend me so we can stay in touch! Noah & Sienna

Thanks again to everyone for such a great trip. You all were so kind to my daughter Sienna and she really felt like part of a family with her "10 dads". She actually cried when we all broke apart at the end of the trip.

I can't say enough about how great of a job Stan did in leading the trip. Having you as the leader definetly made for a comfortable trip for the rest of us. Congrats on being the only dad that is not "an idiot" per my daughter. According to her you are the "smart one", lol.

I personally already miss the trail. It was a special type of freedom out there. I can't get myself yet to wash the red dust off my truck. I think I will leave it for a few weeks.

I will post up a link to my pics sometime this week. I still have to go through all of them.

Cheers,

Noah

First, a heartfelt thank you to Stan and Chris!!! Without their expertise and competent leadership, this trip would not have been the prodigious adventure that it was. When confronted with obstacles such as Rose Garden Hill, the support of competent spotters, in whom you can place absolute trust, makes all the difference. The fact that they were able to get my GX down the hill with the bumpers still attached to the the vehicle is a testament to their skill, patience and prowess as spotters (truth be told, I brought along extra tie down straps in the event that those huge plastic bumpers had to be transported home on the roof).

Moreover, it was a pleasure to make the acquaintance of each and every one of you. I've been on group trail runs before and I can say without reservation, and in all candor, this was the best group with whom I've ever had the good fortune to spend three days on the trail. Should any of you find yourselves in my neck of the woods (Ogden, Utah about 30 mins. north of SLC) please look me up. Less than an hour and 15 mins. from Ogden, we have a log cabin that sits at 8,000 feet (completely off the grid, no electricity, no internet, no cell service, although we do have spring fed water, a propane hot water tank for hot showers and long soaks in a huge tub, in addition to a septic system which accommodates two full bathrooms so "roughing it" is not really an accurate description). I'd be honored to have you visit.

At some point, I'd really like to organize a trip to some of Utah's lesser known mountain ranges: the Raft River Range, running east to west (just south of City of Rocks along the Utah/Idaho border), the wonderfully rugged and remote 50 mile long Deep Creek Range, along the Utah/Nevada border with a variety stunning canyons and two peaks over 12,000 feet, the House Range outside of Delta, with 500 million year old trilobite fossils, ancient bristlecone pines, and Notch Peak, the second highest pure vertical drop in the United States after El Capitain in Yosemite. These oft overlooked, lesser known ranges are some of my favorite places, outside of southern Utah of course.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I just created a new gmail account and put together a photo album of the trip. The link is below. I hope it works. If not, let me know.

Sincerely,

Matt

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=bE5nTHJnZEZ2TEFkMjZ0QmdFQWptS3pGWktSWTl3

We had such a great time once again on the Kokopelli Expedition. Thanks to Stan and Chris for all your planning and time to set this up and make it run so well. It was a great pleasure to meet you all and look forward to seeing you again next year. Here is a link at the bottom to our pictures and a huge thank you to all those who got great shots of us and the truck. It is always hard to get good pics of your own rig.

We had quite a blow out on the highway at 75 mph in Twin Falls ID. The front drivers side tire sidewall let loose with a 6" gash and instant flat with a nice tiny car right nest to that side. I thought for sure I was going to hit them hard but somehow managed to hold the truck straight and slow down and get to the shoulder. Change tire, resume trip and drive the rest of the way home in one shot. I could not sleep after that.

I am already planning the next round of modifications to the truck. My email is Richard_oetting@yahoo.com it would be great to keep in touch with people. If you come out to the Seattle area please let us know and we can get together.

Thanks again for the memories,

Richard and Jaesun with Chairman Mao

Cruise Moab 2017

Wow, Richard!! I am glad that you got through that adventure in one piece! arth and Andrea had a wild ride themselves, but I will let them tell about it. We never got a chance to finish our discussion of sailing shoes. If you have a minute, I would like your recommendations for ones that have room for an insole (superfeet...) and also have soles which actually grip something ;).

Best wishes to you all!
Michael

Here is a video of me following Eric down Rose garden hill.
Wow, Richard!! I am glad that you got through that adventure in one piece! arth and Andrea had a wild ride themselves, but I will let them tell about it. We never got a chance to finish our discussion of sailing shoes. If you have a minute, I would like your recommendations for ones that have room for an insole (superfeet...) and also have soles which actually grip something ;).

Best wishes to you all!
Michael

Hi Mike,
We saw Garth and Andrea and they told us about the tire fiasco, very lucky it did not hit anyone.

As far as shoes go it really depends on what you are looking for, if you just want grip in an insure shoe then any of the Gold cup ASV shoes are great, if you need offshore or colder weather then look at the Sea Racer boot. I do not remember if the insole comes out or not. If you are looking for the best grip and feel then the Seven Seas is a fantastic shoe. It is what some of the guys on the PUMA Volvo Ocean Race boot were wearing before we had the PUMA shoes ready.

Take care,

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom