2017 Kokopelli Expedition team member thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

paflytyer

100s in the Hills
Media Partner
Threads
Hello Kokopelli team members!

Congratulations on being selected to join this incredible adventure. Cruise Moab 2017 is right around the corner and it's time to start planning for the only double-overnight run to Cruise Moab. I have just received the registration list for the 2017 Kokopelli Expedition and we're all in for a grand adventure with a great group! This is a long post, but should cover most stuff.

The overnight runs are always the first to fill to capacity for the Cruise Moab event. This is a FULL 3-day expedition style run that is really an event on its own. OutdoorX4 Magazine will once again be our trail sponsor and we're working hard to make this the best Kokopelli Expedition yet. (It will be hard to top the excitement from the last few years, but we'll try!) As of right now, we are a strong group of 15. That number is subject to change as we get closer, but it's a perfect size for this adventure. Anything over 17 and we start to get crowded at our stops and bottlenecked at the obstacles.

We have a good mix of capable vehicles and this is the first year in a while that we have all new (except one) participants. Our vehicle list is as follows:

4Runner - 6
80 Series - 3
100 Series - 2
60 Series - 2
FJ Cruiser - 1
Tacoma - 1

This is one of the most diverse vehicle groups that we've ever had. Six 4Runners! Usually, it's the 80 Series that dominates the numbers. This will be a great trip.

This thread will serve as our initial meeting place. We will coordinate our times, make cyber-introductions and generally just start the process of getting to know one another. After all, we're going to spend 3+ days together where we're going to work as a team, look out for each other, break bread together, camp together and laugh together. We'll also be doing that on one of the most beautiful and exciting trails in the country.

The Trip:

This is a true expedition experience that will have us covering nearly 150-miles between Mack, CO and Moab, UT. I don't want to spoil anything by explaining the trail too much, I'll just say get ready for an amazing route to an amazing town.

The Plan:

Monday Night: (Optional) Several people typically travel to the trailhead the day before and it is recommended, but not at all required. There are hotels available in Grand Junction if you'd like to take that last real shower before starting off Tuesday morning. We will plan on meeting/camping here:

39°10'33.6"N 109°01'19.9"W

This area is a first come first served dispersed camping area fairly near the interstate exit for Rabbit Valley (Exit 2 off I-70). From the exit, travel south, just over a half mile and turn right. My initial email will have my phone number. If that area happens to be full (that's' doubtful) then we can camp in any designated camp area. Phone service is perfect in that area.

Tuesday Morning: Meet at the site mentioned and mapped above off the Rabbit Valley exit (Exit 2 off Interstate 70)

Tech Inspection will run from 9:00-9:45. Drivers Meeting at 10:00ish and departure around 10:15 AM. Please ensure that you are totally fueled up (with extra) and 100% ready to go. Tuesday will actually be our shortest day on the trail. Barring any setbacks, we'll arrive in camp in the late afternoon and have time to set our camps and relax for what is always a great evening. Everyone is excited to be on the trail and the first night is always a late one around the campfire. Breakfast will be provided just prior to our drivers meeting. Delicious breakfast burritos from a local Grand Junction restaurant.

Tuesday night's camp will be at Fish Ford near the Colorado River. Dinner will be potluck style with everyone hopefully bringing something to share. We did this for the last few years and it's always a big hit. I will be bringing Pork Green Chile with all the fixin's (Chips, Cheese, Tortillas, Sour Cream etc.) Please bring something to share, but remember that if we all bring food for 30, we'll have way too many leftovers. This is primitive camping so we will not have a place to dump trash until late on day two.

Wednesday: Depart camp by 9:00 AM. This will be a long, but fun day. Day two is my favorite day. We'll travel through Cisco Wash and onto a portion of Dome Plateau. We will also make our way through Yellowjacket Canyon and see some amazing views. Our lunch stop is a great place to hike around and take amazing photos of the La Sal Mountains and some small arches. We'll exit the trail near the famous Dewey Bridge and make a brief stop at our second night's camp at Roberts Bottom. We will drop off any trailers in the group and continue to the Top of the World. This out and back trail will take us a few hours to complete and I'm aiming to have us near the top as the sun is getting lower to the west. This is one of the most photogenic areas of the entire region. You can expect to hit your sliders and bumpers pretty often on this trail. The ledges have been getting dug out pretty bad and this trail is much harder now than it has been in the past. It's a driveshaft and u-joint eater, so stay vigilant. Our trip from a few year's ago was nicknamed "Brokeopelli Expedition" because of all the carnage we had along the way.

Thursday: Depart camp by 9:00 AM for another very full day. Day three will be our hardest day (obstacle wise) of the trip. Plan on being on the trail all day, getting into Moab in the early evening. We will cover some beautiful terrain throughout the day. We'll descend the infamous Rose Garden Hill which will be the hardest part of the trail. (Sliders and bumpers are required to avoid body damage.) You WILL hit your sliders and land hard on your bumpers. It will take our group a few hours to cover this small stretch. Then, we'll pass through Fisher Valley and Onion Creek and traverse the northern flank of the La Sal Mountains. We'll arrive into Moab via Sand Flats Road tired, dusty, dirty and hungry. It's a great way to kick off your Cruise Moab adventure. While everyone else is preparing for their first runs of the event, we're already 3 days into an amazing trip. There is a chance that we'll exit via Onion Creek (a great route with 20+ clean, shallow water crossings instead of entering the La Sal's). If there is a breakdown during the day or we hear of excessive snow in the La Sal's, we take the Onion Creek route. We've actually done that 3 out of the last 4 years.

Important Details:

Vehicle Inspection: This is a TLCA Sanctioned Event. All vehicles must pass the TLCA tech inspection. The time is now to ensure everything is in proper order. We are traveling in a remote area well away from civilization and there are very few bail-out areas.

Communications: Everyone must have a functioning CB. It's a Cruise Moab requirement but it's also vitally important for these long distance overnight runs. Having a HAM radio is even better. Having your HAM radio license is even better still. I will have both and am a licensed HAM radio operator. If you're wanting to become a HAM radio operator, let me know and I'll give you some clues that will help you to pass the test prior the event. We will communicate a lot along the route.

Fuel: Once we leave the pavement at Rabbit Valley, there will not be an opportunity to get fuel until Moab. I recommend everyone bring at least 5 extra gallons. You know your offroad mileage better than anyone, so please plan accordingly. I average about 6-8 mpgs on this trail and I use 4-6 extra gallons.

Food: Plan to be self-sufficient, however, breakfast will be provided at least once, possibly twice. Please let me know if you have any allergies, food or otherwise.

Pets: Please feel free to bring your friendly and well behaved dogs. Mean dogs or dogs that could possibly bite are better left at home. We are a long way from medical facilities and a dog-bite could be hard to deal with. Both camp locations are primitive and there are free range cattle, fox, coyote, skunks, turkeys, snakes and other desert critters in the area. There are also free grazing sheep (thousands and thousands) along a portion of the route. There will be sheep dogs with the herds and they are not friendly. Do not let your dog tangle with them. The sheep will also be birthing during this time, so please keep your dog away from the sheep. There's a good chance we'll see ewe's giving birth right alongside the trail.

Be sure to bring a leash and a way to clean up after your dog.

Trailers: Off-road trailers have their place and you're welcome to bring one if it can handle the trail. The terrain is tough in several spots and your trailer should not be the limiting factor. Please let me know if you're thinking of bringing a trailer so we can discuss it.

Firewood: Please bring at least one bundle of fire wood. More is always better. Nights this time of year can be very cold and sitting around a warm campfire is pretty nice!

Water: 1 gallon per person per day for drinking is the rule of the desert. Bring more if you plan on doing dishes, showering etc. There is very little water to speak of and even the mighty Colorado runs pretty dirty that time of year. Filtering water would be a pain, but doable if needed.

Firearms: Abide by applicable laws. We are traveling in Colorado and Utah. Keep in mind this is a TLCA Sanctioned 4x4 event. There will be no recreational shooting. Be responsible and keep your weapons safely secured.

Toilets: For number 1. Urinating in a disturbed or stable area (i.e. trail, rock, dry drainage) is preferred. Don't pee on the plants and flowers. Number 2: BLM mandates that all solid waste be removed. We will have portable/packable toilets available. Please visit Wal-Mart or another store of your choice to pick up a box of wag bags for about $11. The Wal-Mart brand is Ozark Trail. We will pack out what we pack in. We will also stop at vault toilets in a couple areas. There is a pit toilet somewhat near our camp on Tuesday night. The vault toilets near our second night’s camp are back at Dewey Bridge, about a 10-minute drive from camp. We will stop at those in the afternoon on Wednesday and we'll leave from there on Thursday morning.

Alcohol: Drinking on the trail is prohibited by drivers and passengers. Camp is the place for it and we will have plenty of time to share stories in the evening. FYI, alcohol is best purchased outside of Utah as you will typically get it cheaper and of higher quality. Fruita/Grand Junction is a great stock up point, but most stores don't open until 10am, so you'll need to have it prior to our meet-up on Tuesday morning.

Health Issues: If you have any health issues that may require emergency assistance, please let me know privately or share it with our group during our Driver's Meeting.

Medical: I am a former United States Marine. My medical training is consistent with my military training. I am CPR certified and will carry an Outer Limit Supply medical kit. I encourage everyone to carry a medical kit as well. Please let me know if you have medical training so we can best handle emergency situations. We are in remote areas and medical needs can become very serious very quickly. I'll also be carrying a SAT phone in case of emergencies.

Vehicle: We are traveling in a remote area. Please ensure that your vehicle is in top running condition. If you cannot pass Tech Inspection on Tuesday morning, you will be asked not to participate. Inspection Details

Trash: We will pack out what we pack in. This means all human waste and trash. This means no burning trash in the evening fires as well. (paper plates are obviously ok when the fire is raging.) Let's make camp and the trail look better than we found it. A Trasharoo is a great addition to your rig and doubles as a firewood carrier. Don’t hesitate to announce on the CB or HAM that you’re stopping to pick up a water bottle or beer can that you find on the trail. Let's do our part to make sure this trail stays beautiful and open for the next generation.

Camp: Please respect others in camp. Let’s have fun, but don’t disturb the folks who climb into their RTT’s at 10pm either. @bluecruiser usually stays up until the wee hours, so if you like to crash early, don't park near the main campfire.

Have Fun!: This expedition is a once in a lifetime trip for some folks. We will stop for photos at all the best places. Bring your camera.

Please post up and make an introduction. Feel free to ask questions, tell a little about yourself and your vehicle, or just say hello. This is a trip of a lifetime!

Last edited:
I will happily make the first introduction. My name is Stan Wright. I'll be leading our group on this incredible adventure but will have a close friend, @bluecruiser , co-leading and tail gunning with me. Chris (@bluecruiser) and I have logged thousands of trail miles together over the years and we work well together as a team. This will be our 5th time leading the Kokopelli together and we've become very familiar with every obstacle. It's an incredibly long route and although it's rare, we still miss a turn here and there. We'll stop at all the best photo spots and the two vault toilets along the way.

I drive a 2004 100 Series Land Cruiser that was built for adventures just like this one. My family often accompanies me, but I will be solo on this adventure. I live in Denver, Colorado and am a member of Rising Sun 4X4 Club. I am also the managing editor of Toyota Trails magazine and the senior outdoors editor and marketing director for OutdoorX4 Magazine. I also spent over 20 years as an air traffic controller at Denver International Airport, JFK Approach, Pittsburgh, Harrisburg and Yuma, AZ.

D71_2630 by Stan Wright, on Flickr

D71_2648 by Stan Wright, on Flickr

Since everyone here is a TLCA member, you may already be aware that I'm also recovering from a severe spinal cord injury in 2015 that left me paralyzed from the waist down for almost three months. I still have some lingering effects that you may notice, but I am slowly getting better. I am able to walk and move around fairly well. I will have to get out of my truck on occasion and move my legs, but should have no issues on the trail. Unfortunately, I can't run, jump or lift heavy things, but we'll have some muscle in our group and we'll be fine. I will also be taking the easiest lines along the route to keep the bumps to a minimum. Chris will take the hardest lines so everyone will have a chance to see different lines at all the obstacles and choose whichever is best for them. Some areas have only one line and there aren't really any bypasses so be prepared to clunk, scrape and bang on things. Chris and I have done Rose Garden Hill many times and if you're new to wheeling on difficult trails, trust in your spotter is important here. It may feel too off-camber and the ledges may look too tall to descend, but they're not. We've spotted many different vehicle types up and down this route. Things break on this trail, parts are stressed and drivers get nervous but we're familiar with the lines and I would expect zero body damage. Bumpers and sliders will get used.

During last year's adventure, I was just a few months removed from a wheelchair. I did fairly well, but was pretty limited in terms of movement around camp and throttle control. I needed last year's trip from a mental standpoint but it may have been a little too soon from a medical standpoint. I'm much better this year and really looking forward to having a completely new group with us. As May 2nd approaches, we'll take a look at the weather and make a few decisions. This trail becomes ridiculously dangerous when wet, but dries out very quickly. If we get rain on Tuesday morning, we'll skip a small portion of canyon shelf road and move up the highway a few miles to begin.

We'll update some things in this thread over the next few weeks but this thread will serve as our electronic basecamp for now. You should have all received an email from me with a link here and my contact info. Feel free to ask questions via email, but someone else may have the same question, so using this thread is best.

I'd also like for everyone to post up something that they'll bring for the potluck on Tuesday night. I'll either bring Pork Green Chile or smoked/pulled pork. I'll also make a list of some suggested items to bring. If you're somewhat new to multi-day vehicle travel, this list will be helpful. Otherwise, this is just a trail like any other. You'll need 3+ days of gear, food, fuel and water. Once we leave the pavement on Monday night/Tuesday morning, you won't see civilization again until late Thursday.

i guess ill go first here... my name is matt wagner. my rig is a 2004 4runner sr5 v8. joining this group after another expedition across mojave rd. 3 trucks (including my own) will be on the kokopelli run. we all come from illinois. all of us with a decent amount of experience and sarcasm. although we have not logged a ton of hours on the trails of the west... we have spent our large portion of our time playing in the midwest mud. all of us have been in the rocks and mountains. including black bear pass and poughkeepsie gulch and southern cruiser crawl in hot springs arkansas. our groups facebook page "forts trail team" would be a good overview of the trucks and our trail abillities. we have been talking about this trip for months! cannot wait for day 1!

IMG_2984.JPG
Looking forward to one more run of the old Kokopelli. My name is chris and I reside in Phoenix. Luckily Moab is reasonably close and I've been to the area many times in both my old 100 and my 80. As mentioned by @paflytyer, we've done this trail a time or two. My advice is to make sure all of the bolts are tight and maintenance has been done on your rig. Anything can (and has) happened on this trail. 3 days of rough terrain is a pretty good test for any Toyota. Bring a good attitude and an ability to enjoy the campfire. We will have a lot of fun on our way the the 20th annual Cruise Moab! Looking forward to hanging out and learning more about 4Runners, haha.

Last edited:
Hey all names Drew, looking forward to this trip. Recent transplant to the Denver area from Chicago. Have owned my 1989 4Runner for 11 years and it was bone stock until last summer so I am fairly new to off-roading and overlanding but am all in. Have been wheeling around CO and went to UT last OCT. Am in the middle of a supercharged 3.4 swap on my rig right now along with re-gear and a rear locker so I hope to be prepared. Psyched to meet you all in May!
IMG_3978_zpsd3kk7lui.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Runner9_zpsrc00qpbc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Runner13_zpsbzmkeif9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Runner8_zpsjunxpskj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Runner7_zpshpspp8cu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Runner3_zpsbudjfwbo.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Runner4_zpsknn6zgmi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hi everyone

My name is Ross Woody, and this will be my 5th trip to Cruise Moab (08, 09, 10 & 11) and my first on the Kokopelli Run. I've been invited to run the Kokopelli twice before, once with the FJ Cruiser Trails Team and once for Cruise Moab, but it just didn't work out, so I'm really happy that I will get to make the run this year with everyone.

I will be driving my 2007 FJ Cruiser TRD that bought new in 2007. Besides the 4 trips to Cruise Moab, I've taken it on the Rubicon for 4 Rubithon's and 1 Marlin Crawler run. It's also gone to Oregon 3 times for the McGrew Trail Ride. It's been modified and built up by some of the greats in our industry. Mark Hawley and LT at Metal Tech installed a special order Icon suspension with heavier coil springs and valving for the load that I run, as well as new UCAs. Luke Porter at 4x4 Labs built essentially a "one off" rear bumper and swing out system, although there are 2 others out there as well. And of course, Mudrak in Sonoma has helped me with the "overland" outfitting with the Baja Rack and Columbus Tent. My last major mod/upgrade before the trip will be thanks to Georg at Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers as we will be installing their first FJ Cruiser vented disc brake upgrade this next week.

Other goodies include a 50 qt ARB, PowerTank CO2, Kenwood D710 (call sign WB6BBQ), 35x12.50x17 Good Year Kevlar MTRs on 2010 FJ rims, Fab Four front bumper and Warn 9.5ti.
IMG_3263.JPG

I also have an FJ40 that is purpose built for the Rubicon, and I've attended every Rubithon since 1999, moving from green attendee to kitchen committee to head camp cook and now back to just an attendee. I've been honored to be the President of TLCA for the last 4 years and look forward to another 2 year term. I will do my best to help as much as I can, and hope that we will have a smooth trip.
IMG_0946.JPG

Thanks

Last edited:
@woooody -
"My last major mod/upgrade before the trip will be thanks to Georg at Valley Hybrids/Cruiser Brothers as we will be installing their first FJ Cruiser vented disc brake upgrade this next week."

Hey Ross - We are looking forward to seeing those rotors on your FJC - wishing you safe travels and good times on the trail!

Ward (Georg's tech-challenged business partner) :cheers:

Last edited:
Hey Gents, name in Noah Baldwin. Live in Carlsbad, CA. I have several jobs, hospital worker, dad, cruiser mechanic. My daughter and I are looking forward to this trip! I am hoping this will be a trip she remembers for her whole life, me as well. We have plans to come out early and stop by zion on the way in and bryce on the way back. We have signed up for kane creek and moab rim as well. My rig is a 1996 80 series, factory lockers, J lift, all terrain tires, 4.88's, crawler gears, supercharged. If others are ok with it I can bring some of my kickass marinated tri tip. It should marinate well in the fridge for a few days before. I plan to carry spare driveshafts, a spare birf, tools and odds and ends.

20170217_175815_HDR.jpg
20160924_131445.jpg
20160809_115512.jpg
1435108540572.jpg
Hello all,

My name is Ray Romero and I am from the Thornton CO area. This will be my first Cruise Moab event/trip. I will be bringing along my buddy Andres as a co-pilot. My wife is currently 5 months pregnant with our first child, a little girl. She was so kind to give me a hall pass and go on this trip before our baby is born. My rig is a 94 Land Pig, equiped with factory lockers. I bought it sight un-seen from a dealer in Salt lake barebones stock in 2012. Every year since I have been adding a few things here and there. Look forward to meeting all of you in person.

I'd be interested to know if there are any others going out via I-80 from the west coast. Noah is down in SoCal, so I have to think he'll be taking I-15/I-75. Even from Nevada/Utah. Always feel better having a 2nd vehicle along on a long trip like this.

I'd be interested to know if there are any others going out via I-80 from the west coast. Noah is down in SoCal, so I have to think he'll be taking I-15/I-75. Even from Nevada/Utah. Always feel better having a 2nd vehicle along on a long trip like this.

yes we will be heading out via 15 to zion the first day and spending a day there at the national park for a quick visit, then to meet up with everyone on mon night.

Hello!

My name is Eric Stahl. I have been wheeling with my group, Fort's Trail Team for the past 4 years. Over that time I have grown from a n00b to a more prepared n00b. Actually, I have been blessed to have surrounded myself with very capable folks who have made sure that I never looked like too big of an idiot. My position as Service Manager at Fort's Toyota of Pekin has helped me meet and run with those folks.

I have been to several FJ Summits, 2 SCC's, Mardi Krawl and lots of small stuff here local. (Ask Matt Wagner and I about the Two Rivers Jeep Club Safari. That was the greatest learning experience I have ever had) I was blessed to be part of Bill Burks first overnight run at FJ Summit two years ago. That was a blast, and I think it laid the groundwork for my newfound love of overnights and camping. On top of that, my kids are in Scouts and Civil Air Patrol... I have become incredibly "geared" out for camping over the past five years.

My rig is "Treehugger". (Named from aforementioned Jeep event) Its a 2010 Trail Edition 4Runner. I have tried to be easy on accessories... We run it as a trail leader for folks who run stock trucks here locally. Making a massive truck with obnoxious accessories was not the goal. We dont want to intimidate the "stock" folks and scare them away from playing in the outdoors! 33" General Grabber AT's, ARB skids, budbuilt hidden winch mount, Smittybuilt 9K winch, ARB Roof Rack, 2 CO2 Powertanks.

I take lots of pictures!!!! Sorry! I have a Canon Ti6 DSLR and a 360 video camera. Looking forward to grabbing all kinds of pictures and videos out there!

full

poughkeepsie.jpg

IMG_8138.JPG

Hi everyone,

Brock Phifer here. Coming all the way from Tuscaloosa, Alabama in my 99 Land Cruiser. I own convenience stores and quick lubes in Tuscaloosa. My girlfriend and I missed 100's in the hills last year so we went on our own (a couple weeks after that event) and took most of same trails. It was our first true expedition style trip and needless to say we had a blast and can't wait to do Moab with a great group! My gf Jennifer will be on this trip along with my dog Penny. I've owned and worked on LC's for a while now. My brother and I just started building a 40 set on an 80 frame powered by a 388 stroker but it won't be ready by May.

My 100 is a hog but it holds it's own come trail time.

gulch LC.jpg
imogene.jpg
imogenepass.jpg
red hills.jpg
crossing.jpg

Stan,

I'm currently studying for the technicians ham test using hamtestonline.com and I'm 50% complete with the study prep. Any suggestions or should I just continue what I'm doing and take the test?

Thanks,
Brock

Stan,

I'm currently studying for the technicians ham test using hamtestonline.com and I'm 50% complete with the study prep. Any suggestions or should I just continue what I'm doing and take the test?

Thanks,
Brock

You bet.... register at Practice Amateur Radio Exams by QRZ.COM

That site gives you the ability to take practice exams over and over for free so you can see where you'll need to concentrate your efforts. There are over 300 questions in the pool and you'll only get 30 on your actual test. After I studied for a while, I just started taking practice tests twice per day for a few weeks until I was comfortable with all 300 possible questions.

Remember that AFTER you pass the test, it still takes 2-3 weeks for your callsign to be issued. Technically, you cannot broadcast until your callsign appears in the database.

For those of you without sliders...... you will absolutely want to have them before this trip. Some of the ledges are 3+ feet tall. There is simply no way to avoid hitting your sliders. Your front wheels will go over the edge and you'll be teetering on your sliders until the front wheels reach the bottom of the ledge. We'll go down one ledge and around a rock that will eat your doors and door sills for sure.

This isn't the Rubicon by any means, but there are short sections that will test what you have. A rear bumper or at least a rear tow hitch is a good idea too. Some of the ledges are tall enough that you'll land on your rear bumper long before your rear wheels touch down. We can stack rocks if needed, but that's still risky since we have to stack them a few feet tall and they can slide away easily.

Looks like we have an experienced group. This should be a great trip!

Hello Kokopelli Team,

First, I am thrilled to be participating in this year’s overnight run of the Kokopelli Tail, and would like to introduce myself. My name is Matt, and this will be my second year participating in the Cruise Moab Event. I live in Ogden, Utah and I drive a 2004 Lexus GX 470 (unfortunately, the Lexus GX 470 was not an option and, as the GX is built on the Toyota 120 Platform shared by the 4th gen. 4Runner and FJ Cruiser, I believe I selected 4Runner). For years, I drove a much loved, 99 4Runner. When the time came, I sought a 100 series Land Cruiser. After a year of fruitless searching, I became interested in the GX. As a special education teacher in the great state of Utah, let’s just say price was of paramount importance. Long story short, the GX had everything I was looking for; a V8 for towing, more room, A-TRAC, a center-locking differential, (although sadly, no rear e-locker, which is occasionally missed,). Eventually, I found a one owner, '04 GX in excellent condition. Since then, I've added a suspension lift, courtesy of Sonoran Steel, with 4 Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, TRD front Coils, Radflo rear coils, a Sonoran Steel Built Adjustable Trac/PanHard/Lateral Bar, in addition to Light Racing Upper Control Arms, riding on 33” Cooper STT Pro Tires. After a six-day, five-night drive into the Dollhouse, in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park (and a bit of body damage to the front, and rear bumpers) I invested in a 1.5” body lift from Roger Brown’s 4Crawler. As much as I loved my 4Runner, I can honestly say, I’ve become even more fond of my GX.

Being a Utah resident, I make at least 4 – 5 trips a year to Moab. While I have not completed the Kokopelli Trail in its entirety, I have completed portions of it. For three consecutive years, I spent spring break camped just outside of the breathtakingly beautiful Taylor’s Ranch (see the movie Rider’s on the Purple Sage if you’d like a closer look) at the end of the “Onion Creek Trail”. Last year, at Cruise Moab, I had the good fortune to hit the “Monitor and Merrimac Butte Trail”, in addition to the “Dome Plateau Trail”. Since then, I have twice been up the magnificent “Top of the World Trail” (most recently with the Utah based, Wasatch Cruisers, on one of their open runs). Lastly, I managed to sneak in a long weekend in January where my dad and I ran the “Fins n’ Things Trail” and then drove out “Sands Flats Road” where we met up with the “La Sal Mountain Loop Road”. With plenty of fresh snow, visibility reducing fog and dwindling daylight, we cautiously descended the in mountain four low.

Whilst my travelling companions, my dad Chuck, and more recently, my three-year-old Australian Shepherd Pendleton Charles, a.k.a. PC, have spent over the last twenty-five years in vehicle-based exploration of the ineffable Southwest region, we are relatively new to the more rigorous, technical aspects of 4WD overlanding. No matter how much we get, we are ALWAYS eager for more! I look forward to meeting all of you soon.

Sincerely,

Matt, Chuck & PC

P.S. Last weekend I drove to Colorado Springs to pick up rock sliders and full skid plates (from Hefty Fabworks). I am in the process of painting the sliders and should have everything installed and buttoned up in the next few weeks.
2016-10-07_16-54-29_311.jpeg

IMG_4678.2016-04-07_231042 (2016-07-04T09_02_48.917).JPG

IMG_6155.2016-08-06_232157.JPG

2017-01-15_13-20-03_044.jpeg

2016-12-31_15-37-41_290.jpeg

And here's one from Cruise Moab 2016:
upload_2017-3-3_16-5-38.png

Skyline Drive Trail:
pQ_ZCZ6flOhj0Hio-1KuHKKqQ7e2kaWu_7wYjWBoKZYpX92IB

Camping near the Dolores River Overlook Trail:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back