2016 transmission shudder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a history of this issue that has been going in the "I love my 2016 tranny with TSB 0209-17" thread...but I thought I would separate my issue out of that thread.

I bought a 2016 LC 7 months ago. It had 4k miles on it. It was quite a find. So I traded in my 2011 LC and drove home with basically a brand new vehicle for me.

I noticed from the day I bought it that the shifting from first to second gear seemed to skip. It was VERY subtle.
As the miles have ticked on, the skipping/shudder has become more noticeable, only from 1st to 2nd.
I now have 13k miles on it.

I have taken the LC to my local Toyota dealer in Connecticut for a transmission software update which made no difference.
I took it back to the same dealer, they were able to duplicate the issue and ultimately decided to replace the transmission.

I just got the vehicle back a few days ago. And I have noticed the similar subtle skipping from 1st to 2nd gear.

I went back to the dealer today, stated I feel the skipping, they sent out the shop foreman who was very nice...and the shop foreman told me...
1. I need to drive it for 2 weeks so the transmission can learn my driving style
2. He said after he put the new transmission in, test drove it and stated he felt the same skipping/shudder
3. Since this dealer has no other Land Cruiser to compare to, he believes this may be the way it's supposed to behave
4. This shudder typically happens with a slow acceleration from a dead stop, so he suggested that I "step on it" a bit more

I have a hard time believing this is the way it's supposed to behave.

Anyone have an 8 speed with similar issues?

Make sure they "reset the transmission" and if its still not shifting, ask for an FTS inspection (a tech that work for Toyota directly)

I have a 2016 and also notice the "shudder" between 1st and 2nd on slow starts off the line. After a propeller/drive shaft lubing I do think I eliminated some of the shudder, but that could be wishful thinking that I made a difference. I have not had the TSB update installed.

I have had a similar experience with the shifts even after the TSB/TCM update. I report it to the dealer every time I go just so that its documented. I plan to ask them to be sure they are lubricating the drive shafts at this next service as I do think that could be contributing to the problem some. One symptom seems to be this hesitation from 1-2, the other is when coming to a stop, truck stops and then feels like it downshifts and wants to keep moving forward. I see you're in the CT area, I'm over in the northwest corner near Torrington if you want to compare some time.

I have a history of this issue that has been going in the "I love my 2016 tranny with TSB 0209-17" thread...but I thought I would separate my issue out of that thread.

I bought a 2016 LC 7 months ago. It had 4k miles on it. It was quite a find. So I traded in my 2011 LC and drove home with basically a brand new vehicle for me.

I noticed from the day I bought it that the shifting from first to second gear seemed to skip. It was VERY subtle.
As the miles have ticked on, the skipping/shudder has become more noticeable, only from 1st to 2nd.

I have taken the LC to my local Toyota dealer in Connecticut for a transmission software update which made no difference.
I took it back to the same dealer, they were able to duplicate the issue and ultimately decided to replace the transmission.

I just got the vehicle back a few days ago. And I have noticed the similar subtle skipping from 1st to 2nd gear.

I went back to the dealer today, stated I feel the skipping, they sent out the shop foreman who was very nice...and the shop foreman told me...
1. I need to drive it for 2 weeks so the transmission can learn my driving style
2. He said after he put the new transmission in, test drove it and stated he felt the same skipping/shudder
3. Since this dealer has no other Land Cruiser to compare to, he believes this may be the way it's supposed to behave
4. This shudder typically happens with a slow acceleration from a dead stop, so he suggested that I "step on it" a bit more

Do you notice the 1-2 hesitation in all transmission modes?

ECT in PWR mode and ECT NOT in PWR mode?

Trans in standard D mode (with and without PWR mode)?

Trans is Sport mode (with and without PWR mode)?

Just a thought.

HTH

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, why did you start another new thread instead of continuing to post in the existing thread?

I think part of the issue is the throttle mapping which is a pretty straightforward fix with the Pedal Commander. I don't know if you've read this thread, but there are tons of 16+ owners who were unsatisfied with the throttle mapping and shifting before they got the TSB and PC including me. Did you read through this thread? It's a simple fix, and if it doesn't work, just return it.

I felt the need to confirm the TSB worked for me too. My 2016 has never shifted so smooth

Get TSB 0209-17 Installed by the dealer (should be no charger). It is a known issue.

Rod, How has your shifting been on the new transmission? I have the TSB complete and a Pedal Commander and I still hate this transmission. I let them know every time that I get it serviced but they say it's pretty standard.

Do you still have the issue is the car still with you i bought one a year ago and going through the same issue

All 5 of my Toyota V8 trucks lurch into second gear from first with very little throttle input.

It’s a Toyota thing. Happens on the Aisin 5 speed, 6 speed, and 8 speed across my 100s and 200s.

Between myself and family I have first hand experience with three 8 speed variants of the 200. They all do it. It’s normal.

All 5 of my Toyota V8 trucks lurch into second gear from first with very little throttle input.

It’s a Toyota thing. Happens on the Aisin 5 speed, 6 speed, and 8 speed across my 100s and 200s.
This. Even the A440F in my old FJ-62 did it.

However, I just put a Pedal Commander in and it helps with the slow speed 1-2 slow shift (rolling stop with light acceleration and the transmission can't tell whether it wants to be in 1 or 2 and then suddenly decides on 2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom