2016 LC Worth It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m loving my 100 series- loving the LX470 life. I’ve been kicking around getting a 200 series for tech updates like BSM, radar cruise control, etc. things to make driving easier in the burbs and in the city.

I’m looking at 2016’s because they seem to check all of the boxes and they’re the lowest priced to do it. I’m thinking I’ll spend 45k or so, my LX is probably worth 17-18k.

Do you think the 200 series is worth the price difference of 27k to be in the newer ride or should I be considering something else? The only other vehicle that I like the looks, tech, and has most of the functionality I’d be looking for is an X5. But I’m looking for some Land Cruiser leaning support here. I like the gx460 size wise but my wife doesn’t like the cabin.

There’s a part of me that feels a little unhinged thinking of spending more than a lot of brand new cars, on a soon to be 9 year old, 100k mile plus, 13 mpg vehicle.

Im not a big off roader, just want something nice, functional, well built, reliable, and in all honesty- cool… someone talk me into it.

Or should I wait for the 2024 GX550 or LC 250 to get a year old or so? Budget is ideally low 40’s but I’d stretch to 50k. TIA for any input.

Honestly the 100 up to 200 step is the best I’ve made vehicle wise. I have no desire to own anything other than a 200 for a family rig now.

Yes fuel mileage leaves to be desired, but it’s dead reliable and as safe as they get for my family. Not to mention comfy and capable. Gobs of power.

Bmw sucks

Completely different vehicles. The BMW will crush a 200 for what most people use an SUV for.. driving on the road. But also less reliable and more expensive to repair.

Also if your budget doesn’t increase for the newer vehicle it’ll be a long time before you find a GX550 for that price.

I know this is the 200 forum but my hunch is that if the X5 is interesting to you, you'll probably like the GX550 better. That said I don't see even the basic trim coming in at $50k or less for a couple years. If you're willing to wait until you can find a 3-year old off-lease vehicle then you could do it.

Stick with the 100... for now.

Used 200's are going to come down in price significantly over the next few years. Believe it or not but the next generation of Toyota 4x4's being released will be way more desirable for most buyers than a 10+ year old 200 series will be.

IMO with buying a 200 series right now you have a high chance of taking a much larger than normal depreciation hit over the next few years - especially by Land Cruiser standards

If you're happy with the 100, just keep driving it. You don't need to spend $27k for blind spot monitoring, you have mirrors and a neck that turns. You don't need radar cruise, you have eyeballs.

My time with modern/advanced driver assistance features has only served to reinforce that they are no substitute for a good driver paying attention and are more likely to foster bad habits.

If you're happy with the 100, just keep driving it. You don't need to spend $27k for blind spot monitoring, you have mirrors and a neck that turns. You don't need radar cruise, you have eyeballs.

People shouldn't have to use their eyeballs to drive!

In all seriousness, I've used my radar cruise two or three times in 100k miles, at least 2/3 of which was on the freeway.

I’m loving my 100 series- loving the LX470 life. I’ve been kicking around getting a 200 series for tech updates like BSM, radar cruise control, etc. things to make driving easier in the burbs and in the city.

I’m looking at 2016’s because they seem to check all of the boxes and they’re the lowest priced to do it. I’m thinking I’ll spend 45k or so, my LX is probably worth 17-18k.

Do you think the 200 series is worth the price difference of 27k to be in the newer ride or should I be considering something else? The only other vehicle that I like the looks, tech, and has most of the functionality I’d be looking for is an X5. But I’m looking for some Land Cruiser leaning support here. I like the gx460 size wise but my wife doesn’t like the cabin.

There’s a part of me that feels a little unhinged thinking of spending more than a lot of brand new cars, on a soon to be 9 year old, 100k mile plus, 13 mpg vehicle.

Im not a big off roader, just want something nice, functional, well built, reliable, and in all honesty- cool… someone talk me into it.

Or should I wait for the 2024 GX550 or LC 250 to get a year old or so? Budget is ideally low 40’s but I’d stretch to 50k. TIA for any input.
We spent $67k on our 9 year old Land Cruiser, so perhaps not the best at giving advice on this... but IMO when it comes to Cruisers, age is somewhat irrelevant for the same generations. They all age like fine wine. That said, for your use case - it sounds like you should keep the LX470 for another few years and then move to a used base GX550.

How about a newer LX? There are extensive threads on here with LX specs/changes for each year and feature comparison to an KC.

Had a 2011 E70 X5 (V8 TT)... Sold it for an 2004 LX. Yes, the X5 is newer, quicker, and has sportier handling, my only regret is not selling it sooner. Lol.

I still have the LX and bought a 2018 LC. The 100 is more "nimble" but the 200 is wayy more comfier.

Great feedback thank you everyone. I'm going to drive the 2016 LC today with my wife to see if she gives it the green light. She like the 100 series and it's greenhouse like cabin. Hopefully she'll like the 200 as well.

The 200 is fantastic. So is the X5. Drive both, do some soul searching. One will fit your use case better than the other.

I owned Japanese and EU cars only. EU are fun and comfy, excelent on road, and have a so called "character". That last thing may not always be a good thing. When they work, I'm totally in love, when they don't, I hate. They are not easy neither cheap to fix or maintain (even by LC/LX standards) and they require attention often. But after 20 years of owning, I needed a break, so I went back to Toyota (not just any Japanese brand) so I can drive more and wrench less.

That's a long way to say that you should get your priorities straight. LC or even LX still feels like driving a truck. They are not the best vehicles around town, and even less around a big city. On the other hand, LX on the highway and forest roads is a pleasure.

The radar is useful, but I would not call it essential. It is perfect for when you want to follow other cars or that is your only option (one lane or busy road) rather than keeping a constant cruising speed. You will find yourself not knowingly driving 10 or more miles under the speed you set, because the guy in front of you gradually slowed down, instead of passing them on the other lanes. That adds a lot of time to your trip if you do not pay attention. This is like the thing with slowly boiling the frog.

I do not have the blind spot, but I do not think is a good thing to have as it conditions you not to pay attention to the mirrors and when you have to drive a car w/o it (even one you own) it dramatically increases the risk of making mistakes.

I have both, a (coincidentally) 2016 200 series and a couple of 100s. Love both, for different reasons. Our 200 is a beast, smooth as butter but still rugged, with plenty of power and presence and super comfy on long drives. Our 100s (both early model 100s) are simpler, a little cruder, a little more rugged. As you know, the 4.7 has plenty of power in an unmodified 100 but once they start acquiring weight (armor, bigger tires, more gear) they leave you wanting more, something I've never experienced in our (slightly modified) 200.

Both are rock solid, have better all-around visibility than most vehicles sold in the US during the same era, uber-reliable, and have that weird spiritual connection to an unbroken line of vehicles designed since 1951 to be best-in-class. I know a lot of more traditional Cruiserheads stick to the "80 series or older" stance but if you don't think my 100s or my 200 have soul, come drive them! :)

Bottom line, can't go wrong with either, and BOTH is better! :)

I own a 2014 BMW 535d as my daily drive. It is a fast and efficient (inline 6 cylinder turbo diesel), comfortable (the F10 has DNA from the 7 series) yet nimble. It has also been great for long trips from Houston to Miami (1250 miles one way) on a few occasions with comfort seats, which are awesome. I have had few problems, do all my own maintenance and am ready to do minor to moderately complex repairs having ISTA+ and being ok wrenching. Things will start going wrong though at a lot lower mileage than a 200 series and at some point it will be over here in the next 5 to 10 years.

I also own the 2016+ LC200 which feels more solid and is in fact slightly quieter, which surprised me. It does drive like a body on frame truck compared to a unibody SUV. It can do almost everything well and perhaps nothing outstanding. A fault free... BMW is great on regular or curvy roads. And ofcourse not made for overlanding or offroading.

For me the all round capability and durability from factory are more important. I also think the X5 looks like many other SUV's, a bit nicer, however so many people have them. The LC200 at total sales in the USA of around 35000 is pretty unique. I have also fallen in love with the classic Toyota looks. Since they did not bring the 300 series it will remain the King of All Roads in the US. None of the other SUV's out there is as all round capable and is as compact yet big enough as the 200. You should test drive a 200 series. It is not as sophisticated as a BMW, from body motion when braking to steering to even engine/gearbox management. Still it is overall so good I cannot imagine wanting any different. Perhaps a 16+ LX570 with cut hour glass grill by CBI. This is the only other one I would consider.

Our 2021 with Rhino Roof Rack for sailing kayak transport
1714172338119.png

I find this bad ass looking as well. Perhaps slighty better road manners toward an X5... with the AHC system.
1714172408041.png

Good luck. Test drive to be sure. More than a 2 min block around the dealership.

Last edited:
Drove the 200 today to get a feel for it. Felt familiar to my 100 series and I liked that! Drove well, felt smooth, quiet cab, but… the drivers seat felt like I was sitting on a park bench.

It was a 2018 with 85k miles or so. I asked my wife to sit in the drivers seat and she said it was uncomfortable as well. I sat in the passenger and it was significantly better. I assume it’s just an issue related to that specific 200 series, but just wanted to confirm with the group before driving an hour to test the next one. Excellent minus the seat comfort.

Drove the 200 today to get a feel for it. Felt familiar to my 100 series and I liked that! Drove well, felt smooth, quiet cab, but… the drivers seat felt like I was sitting on a park bench.

It was a 2018 with 85k miles or so. I asked my wife to sit in the drivers seat and she said it was uncomfortable as well. I sat in the passenger and it was significantly better. I assume it’s just an issue related to that specific 200 series, but just wanted to confirm with the group before driving an hour to test the next one. Excellent minus the seat comfort.
Great to hear. Seat foam can be replaced. Driver and Passenger in my 200 are the same.

What can make a difference in my experience is too much lumbar and seat tilt setting. I picked this up from another 200 MUD'er. I found out a lot less lumbar and slight tilt works the best for me.

That brings me to the 16+ LX570 seats... They seem to be better from the looks and feedback on this 200 forum. They also have a slightly longer sit area providing better thigh support.

Interesting you noted this issue as the seats is the only thing yet very important which they could have done better IMO. The rest is pretty great as is.

BMW seats are by the way awesome. The 535d comfort seats are head and shoulders above the 200. Maybe one day I set them over as the 535d mechanically gives in...

Last edited:
I don't think (but not sure) there is any difference in the front seats from '16+ and maybe earlier. If you don't like the DS seat, don't buy a 200.

I don't think (but not sure) there is any difference in the front seats from '16+ and maybe earlier. If you don't like the DS seat, don't buy a 200.
Agree and perhaps not. I am afraid the previous owner just put a bunch of lumbar in and then you sit forward quite a bit. This is definitely less comfortable in my experience.

What about trying a 16+ LX570?

Last edited:
Will do! I would prefer the LC bc it would just be “another Toyota” to most people at my work and around town, but I’d know I’m riding in style

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom