2016-2017 vs 2018+ LC200's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I've been on the hunt for some moderately-used LC200's (100k miles and below). I'm looking primarily at 2016-2017's due to their lower asking prices, though I did want to confirm my understanding of the differences between these early updated versions and the later versions (2018+).

• Radiator - I've heard that some LC200's had radiator's which were prone to failure. Supposedly a fix was applied by the factory from 2018 onwards. Is this a part that can be easily retrofitted to older LC200's?
    • Picture posted below - does this indicate an older variant or newer variant radiator?
    • LC 200 Radiator.jpg
  • Transmission tuning - The 2016+ was given the newer 8 speed transmission, though I've read that 2016-2017 had some issues with the programming? Is this a simple fix with an ECU update from a local dealership?
  • KDSS - I'm less familiar with the specific details for this issue, but something to do with KDSS system (2018+) getting updated hardware which improved maintenance and repair?
I'm familiar with some other differences (power lift gate, ect.). I'm really only concerned with driveline and mechanical/chassis changes. I think the 2016+ got the lion's share of updates (bigger brakes, 8-speed transmission, ect.). Just looking for enough feedback so that I can weigh the pro's and con's of getting a 2016-2017 at a cheaper price, compared with the premium assigned to newer LC200's.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi All,

I've been on the hunt for some moderately-used LC200's (100k miles and below). I'm looking primarily at 2016-2017's due to their lower asking prices, though I did want to confirm my understanding of the differences between these early updated versions and the later versions (2018+).

• Radiator - I've heard that some LC200's had radiator's which were prone to failure. Supposedly a fix was applied by the factory from 2018 onwards. Is this a part that can be easily retrofitted to older LC200's?
  • Transmission tuning - The 2016+ was given the newer 8 speed transmission, though I've read that 2016-2017 had some issues with the programming? Is this a simple fix with an ECU update from a local dealership?
  • KDSS - I'm less familiar with the specific details for this issue, but something to do with KDSS system (2018+) getting updated hardware which improved maintenance and repair?
I'm familiar with some other differences (power lift gate, ect.). I'm really only concerned with driveline and mechanical/chassis changes. I think the 2016+ got the lion's share of updates (bigger brakes, 8-speed transmission, ect.). Just looking for enough feedback so that I can weigh the pro's and con's of getting a 2016-2017 at a cheaper price, compared with the premium assigned to newer LC200's.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

You are correct on all three points.

Specifically, the new radiator design started being used halfway through 2018. The one in your picture is the old design. With the old design, you wait until the crack starts forming, them replace the entire radiator.

There is no maintenance or repair to anticipate for kdss, but having kdss bolts that aren't rusted shut is necessary if you intend to do any suspension work. 2018+ kdss switched from Allen bolts that strip easy to normal hex bolts.

You are correct on all three points.

Specifically, the new radiator design started being used halfway through 2018. The one in your picture is the old design. With the old design, you wait until the crack starts forming, them replace the entire radiator.

There is no maintenance or repair to anticipate for kdss, but having kdss bolts that aren't rusted shut is necessary if you intend to do any suspension work. 2018+ kdss switched from Allen bolts that strip easy to normal hex bolts.
Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding radiator - the crack appears in the vicinity of the nameplate, correct?

Any other major issues for 2016+? I know camtower issues are a possibility for just about any lc200.

What about water pump and starter? Relevant only to early years?

Fwiw a high level tech posted here that the later KDSS screws appear to be worse about corrosion than the recessed Allen bolts.

The later radiator is a drop-in part, so I wouldn’t let that deter me from buying an earlier rig if it meets your pricing objectives. Yes the crack appears on the front edge of the part number plate, see the giant radiator PSA thread for pictures. It’s always in the same place.

Not many water pump failures on rigs after about 2010, though that may partly be because so many of us change it as PM when we do the radiator.

Starter: mileage. No advantage to later years that I know of.

Very few cam tower problems for us, over all. Keep in mind that 200-series 3URs came out of a different plant than those installed into tundras.

One difference: if you get into serious trails later rigs eliminated the rollover side curtain airbag disable button. I’m not sure of the year, but somewhere around 2018. We haven’t figured out if it’s because the logic is improved and the cancel button isn’t needed, or it was dropped for cost or regulatory reasons. Probably a minor thing.. until you pop your airbags on accident.

Fwiw a high level tech posted here that the later KDSS screws appear to be worse about corrosion than the recessed Allen bolts.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. But unfortunately, besides the post you're referring to, I don't think I've seen very many other data points on the newer bolt design.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. But unfortunately, besides the post you're referring to, I don't think I've seen very many other data points on the newer bolt design.
I agree on data points, and I’d expect that since they are so new. Logically it makes sense to me.. more surface area.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding radiator - the crack appears in the vicinity of the nameplate, correct?

Any other major issues for 2016+? I know camtower issues are a possibility for just about any lc200.

What about water pump and starter? Relevant only to early years?

Where did you get the Radiator information and the 2018 date?

My 2016 has the newer radiator in it from the factory.

How do you know it’s a newer radiator from factory? It’s always been my understanding that the radiator design wasn’t changed until midway into 2018 production. The thread below has lots of info. You’ll notice title of thread says 2008-2018. Someone with better knowledge can probably chime in.

How do you know it’s a newer radiator from factory? It’s always been my understanding that the radiator design wasn’t changed until midway into 2018 production. The thread below has lots of info. You’ll notice title of thread says 2008-2018. Someone with better knowledge can probably chime in.

Until recently it said 2008-2010 because at the time it appeared to be the early models only.

But you are correct, the new design didn’t come out until late 2018 and @Fisher23 must have had one replaced before getting the vehicle.

Until recently it said 2008-2010 because at the time it appeared to be the early models only.

But you are correct, the new design didn’t come out until late 2018 and @Fisher23 must have had one replaced before getting the vehicle.

or maybe I'm mistaken?

I posted a pic of mine in the Rad Thread.

or maybe I'm mistaken?

We both screwed. 10 years + into production and unresolved…

or maybe I'm mistaken?

I thought the same thing.
Looked thru the thread and couldn't find a 2016+.

new model. note the much more rounded corners where it meets the tank to reduce stress risers, and more prominent rear edge to the name plate tag since the whole thing was tilted forward to reduce the height of the front edge.

3E133E89-710F-4086-9A01-571A46C3FB9F.jpeg

More details here

20221130_151734.jpg

2016 factory.

new model. note the much more rounded corners where it meets the tank to reduce stress risers, and more prominent rear edge to the name plate tag since the whole thing was tilted forward to reduce the height of the front edge.

View attachment 3181953

More details here

So the original radiator picture I posted (of a 2016 model) looks much more similar to this 2018 variant (updated radiator) than to the older radiator...maybe that means that the prior owner already did the upgrade?

So the original radiator picture I posted (of a 2016 model) looks much more similar to this 2018 variant (updated radiator) than to the older radiator...maybe that means that the prior owner already did the upgrade?
No, it’s just the angle. That is the old one with the design flaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom