2013 Side View Mirrors Burnt? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Parked my 2013 GX in the lot yesterday morning. Returned in the late afternoon and both side view mirrors were darkened and appeared internally burned. Mirror motor working. Mirrors completely useless.

Rained for two days here and the passenger floor board is wet with water coming from the side view mirror (sunroof plugged).

Has anyone seen this?
Did water cause a short?

Recommendations on replacing mirrors/eliminating problem?

A392F015-F6B8-44FB-9A63-45D98F554390.jpeg

880F0F0F-A93A-49C2-B4AD-4873F585D288.jpeg

I remember a while back someone saying they went through a car wash and their mirrors did the same thing. Guessing water could cause some kind of internal short and make the mirrors do that. If I remember, those mirrors are part of the assembly and can't be purchased separately. I believe they are around $800 each (which sucks). Don't know if anyone came up with an alternative. Good luck and let us know what you find.

It's an internal short at the floorboard controls that cause them to defrost until they pop. Fix your water leak and replace your mirrors. Water damage to the Mirror ECU on the passenger floor kick panel.

It's an internal short at the floorboard controls that cause them to defrost until they pop. Fix your water leak and replace your mirrors. Water damage to the Mirror ECU on the passenger floor kick panel.
Makes me want to relocate that to a place that won’t get water ingress.

Reactions: r2m
Thank you GXO. Expensive rain.

Does the short in the ECU need to be replaced? Can it be moved.l? Is the Floor Kick Panel accessible (not sure what this is…)?

Anyone have pictures of the location of this mirror ECU? Would be interesting to discuss water protection measures for the ECU. Also interested to understand the cause of the leak on the OP's vehicle.

Does the short in the ECU need to be replaced? Can it be moved.l? Is the Floor Kick Panel accessible (not sure what this is…)?
The kick panel is the plastic panel at your feet. They butt up against the door on the driver and passenger side (the one you want is on the passenger side). You can “kick” them while you’re in the seat hence the name. As for the ECU, I would suspect once it dries out you are fine. No need to replace. Same thing can happen with a camper plug. Get water in it and it can cause lights on the trailer to come on even though it’s not plugged into a vehicle.

Unfortunately.... a reminder to check the sunroof drains. I check mine a couple times a year. I suppose a seriously compromised sunroof drain could let in enough water in car wash but that should be easily seen looking at the moonroof.

Reactions: r2m

If the ECU tests out once dry you should be good, but it has water damage....I imagine it could be moved, but you could also clean your sunroof drains and make sure your windshield isn't leaking. I suspect your drains. The kick panel is right by the outside footwell. Open passenger door, pop the bottom sill trim, and then look for a plastic nut and remove...whole side of the passenger footwell should come out and it will be in that nest of electronics. Once you see how many things are in there you will understand why fixing the leak will be better than moving anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom