2013 LC map update? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey brothers from another Mudder! New guy here. Looking to update my navigational map on my LC. From what I found on the WWW it would appear I need and SD card to update? if so where is that bad boy located? If not, anyone update the 13-17 Land Cruiser? A little help please!!

What Model Year is your LC200? If it's a 2013 like mine, then there is no SD card update option available - dealer only and $$$ to have them do the update (which in the end was not worth it).

Use a Nav App on your phone, or get a standalone Garmin GPS unit with free lifetime map updates and never look back (I did).

HTH

What Model Year is your LC200? If it's a 2013 like mine, then there is no SD card update option available - dealer only and $$$ to have them do the update (which in the end was not worth it).

Use a Nav App on your phone, or get a standalone Garmin GPS unit with free lifetime map updates and never look back (I did).

HTH
It’s a 2013! Thanks my friend good to know!!

Small world, I just messaged you about the push start! did realize one in the same!! thanks!

I don't know how different the '13s are from the '16s, but I was unable to get a nav update for mine for a year or two. Lo & behold, last week when I was going in to finish the airbag recall, a new recall popped up concerning bad positioning data from the GPS. According to the service rep, a map update was included with the recall fix, gratis. I don't know how to check if it's been updated, though.

Good to know! I do have the airbag recall as well, I need to see if the other applies to my year! That would make since, my map has been cady-wompus a few times! Thanks!!

Good to know! I do have the airbag recall as well, I need to see if the other applies to my year! That would make since, my map has been cady-wompus a few times! Thanks!!

Please keep us posted. My 13 has clearly old info in the mapping, but I've heard rumor of $400 to update and it's not worth that much to me.

Not worth it. Google Maps and Waze are free, up to date, and better than Toyota’s nav.

Not worth it. Google Maps and Waze are free, up to date, and better than Toyota’s nav.

But not integrated into the dash. I usually use my phone for finding a route then keep an eye on the nav map for the driving part of things.

If it's cheap (not holding my breath) I'd like the update.

But not integrated into the dash. I usually use my phone for finding a route then keep an eye on the nav map for the driving part of things.

If it's cheap (not holding my breath) I'd like the update.
I put my phone on a magnetic mount between the screen and the steering wheel. It is at eye level. I'd rather have it integrated with the main screen, but Toyota nav is crap compared to Google Maps or Waze, and Maps and Waze are free and always up to date.

Apple Car Play or Android Auto would be best, but until those options are viable, I'll stick with my phone

I put my phone on a magnetic mount between the screen and the steering wheel. It is at eye level. I'd rather have it integrated with the main screen, but Toyota nav is crap compared to Google Maps or Waze, and Maps and Waze are free and always up to date.

Apple Car Play or Android Auto would be best, but until those options are viable, I'll stick with my phone

I almost never use turn-by-turn navigation, all I'm doing is looking at the moving map, for which the toyota system is actually pretty good. Significantly bigger than my large-format phone, better at avoiding glare, always on without needing a cord, auto night mode, one finger needed for zoom.. Plus I've just never liked having stuff hanging off my dash. Phones included.

Oh and carplay or android auto are non-starters for me given the privacy sacrifices of the required siri or google services.

I almost never use turn-by-turn navigation, all I'm doing is looking at the moving map, for which the toyota system is actually pretty good. Significantly bigger than my large-format phone, better at avoiding glare, always on without needing a cord, auto night mode, one finger needed for zoom.. Plus I've just never liked having stuff hanging off my dash. Phones included.

Oh and carplay or android auto are non-starters for me given the privacy sacrifices of the required siri or google services.
Although using Apple CarPlay has major privacy sacrifices, I wonder about privacy and the factory navigation. I turned off the Toyota Safety Connect service and didn't renew it because the privacy agreement basically said they could do anything they wanted with the GPS data and all other data collected from my use of the vehicle.

you don’t have to use Siri when using Car Play or Apple Maps or Google Maps or Waze. You can disable Siri and they will still work. Furthermore, you can limit location services for Waze and Google Maps to only be allowed while the apps are on.

When I am on my normal routes, I typically turn off the voice directions. But even with turn by turn navigation turned off, they still offer significant advantages over Toyota nav, with real time traffic, warnings for accidents, police radar traps, speed cameras, etc.

Although using Apple CarPlay has major privacy sacrifices, I wonder about privacy and the factory navigation. I turned off the Toyota Safety Connect service and didn't renew it because the privacy agreement basically said they could do anything they wanted with the GPS data and all other data collected from my use of the vehicle.
That sounds about right! Big brother. Mine is not active either!

Not worth it AT ALL. I updated the map on my 2008 and the update has several errors in it. I documented and sent them to Lexus Canada. They offered a free upgrade when the next year’s release was available. That was 2 years ago. Now they keep telling me there are no new upgrades for my 2008. Waste of $400 and time. At least my original map did not have navigational errors.

you don’t have to use Siri when using Car Play or Apple Maps or Google Maps or Waze. You can disable Siri and they will still work. Furthermore, you can limit location services for Waze and Google Maps to only be allowed while the apps are on.

When I am on my normal routes, I typically turn off the voice directions. But even with turn by turn navigation turned off, they still offer significant advantages over Toyota nav, with real time traffic, warnings for accidents, police radar traps, speed cameras, etc.

Is siri not being required a toyota thing? My only experience with CarPlay was in two different Volkswagens a couple years ago and Siri had to be enabled for the head unit to connect to the device, period.

Either way.. you can copy/paste the same arguments for your phone's superiority if you want. I am not going to use my phone on the dash for navigation. I check traffic and route before I leave and have been surprised by something maybe twice in a decade of doing it this way. I much prefer toyota's inferior 6-7yr old maps automatically appearing on the lower resolution, but much larger screen, every time I start the car, without having to do anything to my phone. If I ever used turn-by-turn I might care more. It'd be nice to have said maps better reflect current reality, but only if it doesn't cost as much as a couple tires. Even if I can't, it's still better for my use than a phone. And by the way if location services are only running while the app is open, and you use the app exclusively for mapping, there's really no point in locking it down to only when the app is open.

All of that said.. I'm considering installing an ipad mini over my other car's inoperable nav screen, likely copying markuson setup. That reminds me I need to PM him with some questions..

If you dont have a cellular signal, like way off the beaten path, dont you also lose the ability to use waze or googlemaps? A stand alone GPS unit doesnt have that concern. I personally use both my phone and built in nav when I'm going somewhere I havent been before. I've been debating upgrading the built in nav but I balked at the cost. After reading this thread, I think I'll skip it.

If you dont have a cellular signal, like way off the beaten path, dont you also lose the ability to use waze or googlemaps? A stand alone GPS unit doesnt have that concern. I personally use both my phone and built in nav when I'm going somewhere I havent been before. I've been debating upgrading the built in nav but I balked at the cost. After reading this thread, I think I'll skip it.

Google maps makes it very easy to store maps for offline use. Navigation and traffic won’t work, but it stores a pretty good level of detail and IIRC all of the business names and landmarks for the areas you select.

It does require planning ahead. When my trips take me to areas I didn’t plan on I’ll make sure to get the maps before I might lose reception. Doesn’t take up too much space either.

I’ve found the combination of that and gaia GPS on an ipad are awesome for the way I tend to travel and off-road, to supplement my phone for routes and traffic, and toyota maps, which I tend to use for around-town stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom