Builds 2010 LX 570 -AHC Delete, Tundra Swap, 4.5" BDS Lift (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks man! I'm having fun with it for sure. You *should* be OK with an extra inch of droop, but you might want to double check (I know it would make my brain happy if it were me). Put her up on jack stands, remove those rear wheels and let the axle hang. You know the drill :)

Was just being lazy, but you got me out there and lifted up my car. The lines were just a tad taught.

There's a locating bracket on the axle that's got a long arm from bolt down point. Probably by design to protect from pulling the brake lines too hard for this situation. I tweaked it with a wrench and I think there's enough relief now.

Thanks!

Was just being lazy, but you got me out there and lifted up my car. The lines were just a tad taught.

There's a locating bracket on the axle that's got a long arm from bolt down point. Probably by design to protect from pulling the brake lines too hard for this situation. I tweaked it with a wrench and I think there's enough relief now.

Thanks!
Attaboy!

Enjoying looking through all your pics. Lots of little mods and details going on.

Didn't see any pics of bumps stops. I presume you extended them by similar amounts to the bracket drops?

(Part 3 of 3) - While the sleeping platform is much better than what I was originally sleeping on, I did not like having to pull everything out of the truck in order to setup my bed to sleep. In the morning I have to pack up my bed and all my gear before moving on to the next camp site, and then repeat the whole process again. So I did something I promised myself I would never do: I bought a roof top tent.

I definitely wanted a hard-shell capable of keep my bedding inside when closed to keep me from having to setup and then pack up all my sleeping gear. I looked at a bunch of different options; Roof Nest, iKamper, 4x4Colorado, FSR and others. Then I stumbled on the Roam Adventure Company Rambler RTT. It was the corner "panoramic" windows that really sold me, along with the overall style and fit. They show a 200 series with a Prinsu rack in their marketing video, and I could see the Rambler and Prinsu were a great match for each other, so I also got myself a Prinsu as well.

View attachment 3030276

View attachment 3030279

I'm heading up to the Uinta mountains tonight to put this setup through a shakedown. I'll post some pics and a review of the tent next week.

Well...it's been way longer than a week but I thought I'd post an update on my rooftop tent. Unfortunately the Roam Adventure Company Rambler RTT did not work out, and after less than 60 days of ownership and only 12 nights camping in the tent, I had to return in to Roam for a refund.

The issue was warping and cracking in the top shell. Two significant cracks formed towards the rear of the tent, and the flat surfaces along the left and right edges became warped and "wavy". This resulted in a shell that did not sit flat like it should.

Driver Side Crack
PXL_20220811_151822687 (1).jpg

Passenger Side Crack
PXL_20220811_151816695.jpg

"Waves" on the Driver Side.
PXL_20220725_205607428.jpg

My suspicion is that there was an issue during manufacturing (Roam has them made in China as far as I know). If I had to guess something went wrong with the curing process, resulting in the Fiber Glass & ABS layers failing to bond to each other.

But there were QC issues right from the start. The Roam Adventure Company name plates were falling off right out of the box. The included cargo net was broken (luckily I had purchased their upgraded cargo net, so I had a replacement on hand.) They also failed to include mounting hardware and took almost a week to get it to me. And lastly, the ladder was junk. Not close to tall enough for my rig...so we had to fab a removable mount that slips into the slots on my Prinsu rack.

PXL_20220604_234608861.jpg

While it wasn't the easiest process, I was able to get Roam Adventure Company to provide a refund. I wrote up a very detailed email with photos, and I made sure to assert my belief that any repair or replacement would only be a temporary fix. They took their time (pretty sure they only have one customer service rep) but we arranged to have a local employee (from their Product Development team) come to my house to collect the tent. This employee told me that he planned to cut the upper shell into some pieces that could be shipped to the manufacturer for postmortem inspection.

Aside from the complete failure of the shell, I did enjoy sleeping in the tent. But getting it closed was a struggle. It was really difficult to get the front end closed, as you have to stand in one of the front doors and then reach awkwardly over the windshield. And once the front is closed, it took some work to get all the tent material tucked under the shell so that the rear latches could be secured.

Another issue is the overall design of the top shell. As you can see below, rain water just sits up there. I had to be careful when closing the tent to keep it from dumping all over me.

PXL_20220811_151940549.jpg

I really liked the corner windows and the room afforded by the "pop-up" design, but the overall quality just isn't there for a tent that costs nearly $4,000. I did like the overall experience of sleeping in a RTT, so I have already purchased a more rugged tent (Alu-Cab Gen 3.1) and will post some pics of it when I get it fully set up.

Well...it's been way longer than a week but I thought I'd post an update on my rooftop tent. Unfortunately the Roam Adventure Company Rambler RTT did not work out, and after less than 60 days of ownership and only 12 nights camping in the tent, I had to return in to Roam for a refund.

The issue was warping and cracking in the top shell. Two significant cracks formed towards the rear of the tent, and the flat surfaces along the left and right edges became warped and "wavy". This resulted in a shell that did not sit flat like it should.

Driver Side Crack
View attachment 3095213

Passenger Side Crack
View attachment 3095218

"Waves" on the Driver Side.
View attachment 3095219

My suspicion is that there was an issue during manufacturing (Roam has them made in China as far as I know). If I had to guess something went wrong with the curing process, resulting in the Fiber Glass & ABS layers failing to bond to each other.

But there were QC issues right from the start. The Roam Adventure Company name plates were falling off right out of the box. The included cargo net was broken (luckily I had purchased their upgraded cargo net, so I had a replacement on hand.) They also failed to include mounting hardware and took almost a week to get it to me. And lastly, the ladder was junk. Not close to tall enough for my rig...so we had to fab a removable mount that slips into the slots on my Prinsu rack.

View attachment 3095226

While it wasn't the easiest process, I was able to get Roam Adventure Company to provide a refund. I wrote up a very detailed email with photos, and I made sure to assert my belief that any repair or replacement would only be a temporary fix. They took their time (pretty sure they only have one customer service rep) but we arranged to have a local employee (from their Product Development team) come to my house to collect the tent. This employee told me that he planned to cut the upper shell into some pieces that could be shipped to the manufacturer for postmortem inspection.

Aside from the complete failure of the shell, I did enjoy sleeping in the tent. But getting it closed was a struggle. It was really difficult to get the front end closed, as you have to stand in one of the front doors and then reach awkwardly over the windshield. And once the front is closed, it took some work to get all the tent material tucked under the shell so that the rear latches could be secured.

Another issue is the overall design of the top shell. As you can see below, rain water just sits up there. I had to be careful when closing the tent to keep it from dumping all over me.

View attachment 3095244

I really liked the corner windows and the room afforded by the "pop-up" design, but the overall quality just isn't there for a tent that costs nearly $4,000. I did like the overall experience of sleeping in a RTT, so I have already purchased a more rugged tent (Alu-Cab Gen 3.1) and will post some pics of it when I get it fully set up.
I suspect that you'll love the Alucab! It is really well made and sturdy. I am very pleased with ours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom