2010 GX460 blinking 4LO, Check Engine and Slip lights (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kind of makes me miss the days when all you had to do was pull a plug, have someone turn the engine over once or twice and see if there was a spark in the spark plug.

Could be because i come from a gx470 background, but I use 4lo at least once a month to make sure it stays working. Same with the center diff lock. Use it or lose it they always say right?
Well, that seems like a good idea. I'll start doing that once I get the boat seaworthy again.

Misfire codes can be caused by many things, even stuff like vacuum leaks in the intake.

Honestly, the FIRST thing I would check is your alternator. Low voltage can cause many weird codes.

Easy enough to check. With truck off, I get 12.45V across the posts. With it running at idle I get 13.95V, so it would seem that alternator is good.

Easy enough to check. With truck off, I get 12.45V across the posts. With it running at idle I get 13.95V, so it would seem that alternator is good.
You may need a better test. My battery did the same thing but was still a defective battery after having it bench tested at the dealer. Same thing with my alternator. Would be a good idea to have the battery bench tested at autozone, oreilly or the dealer.

If I pop off the air filter housing to get to the coils, shouldn't I expect a bunch of codes to throw when I start the engine to test if the problem followed the coil? I don't have to button the air filter housing and hoses all back up before doing that test do I?

If I pop off the air filter housing to get to the coils, shouldn't I expect a bunch of codes to throw when I start the engine to test if the problem followed the coil? I don't have to button the air filter housing and hoses all back up before doing that test do I?
i think if the maf is plugged in it wouldn’t throw any other codes

Ohm meter reads consistent values across blades 1 and 4 of coil #2 and coil #4. So while that doesn't rule the coil out, it makes it a lot less likely, doesn't it? Time to pull the spark plug, will run grab a new one first since I am in here.

How you would get to coil #6 and especially #8 must be magic, but thank goodness those aren't the concern.

Ohm meter reads consistent values across blades 1 and 4 of coil #2 and coil #4. So while that doesn't rule the coil out, it makes it a lot less likely, doesn't it? Time to pull the spark plug, will run grab a new one first since I am in here.

How you would get to coil #6 and especially #8 must be magic, but thank goodness those aren't the concern.
took me many extensions and bad words to get those bad boys out

Pulled the #4 plug and this is what I found ...

20230529_123855.jpg
20230529_123929.jpg

When I look down the hole inside where the plug sits, it looks like a burnt cast iron frying pan. Normal and okay, or bad and I should do something?

Also I am scared to pull #2 for fear of creating a problem that doesnt exist. Pull it while I easily can and replace it based on #4 or just leave it alone?

I swapped it. I couldn't not swap it. If the problem went away would the 4LO light go off when I start the car, or would I need to clear it and see if it came back? Because it didn't just go away which means the problem is still there or I need to clear it. So I am going to read it before I clear it, then if nothing is different I am going to clear it.

I swapped it. I couldn't not swap it. If the problem went away would the 4LO light go off when I start the car, or would I need to clear it and see if it came back? Because it didn't just go away which means the problem is still there or I need to clear it. So I am going to read it before I clear it, then if nothing is different I am going to clear it.
i think normally any cel light needs a few miles to relearn to see if code is still present best bet would be to clear and see if it comes back

i think normally any cel light needs a few miles to relearn to see if code is still present best bet would be to clear and see if it comes back
Ah, interesting. Well, I cleared it and took it to a nearby car wash, cleaned it, then drove home with no lights. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Coincidentally my routine oil change is due tomorrow so I will get a quote to change the other 6 plugs.

That plug looks wet, not firing. Hopefully just a plug and/or coil
Good, I was hoping to get some opinions on it. It's kinds charred on one side and you can see the other side pretty well. Seems fouled, but I don't speak spark plug. I will say the #2 spark plug was less nasty looking for sure in comparison.

Fingers crossed that was it!

I took my time on a Saturday and was about 2 hours to replace all spark plugs. Tools make all the difference

Last edited:
I took my time on a Saturday and was about 2 hours to replace all spark plugs. Tools make all the difference

If I don't like the quote I'll have a go at it.

I have a slight shudder when braking that needs attention so I'd rather spend the money on that at the mechanic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom