2010 4runner 4cyl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been looking for an 06-09 4runner but came across a deal on a 2010. I thought it was a typo but it actually has the 2.7 4cylinder. Anybody driven this body style with the 2.7?
I need to know if the power is adequate (I'm not expecting much)...or so miserable that I should avoid it.

looks like the 2.7 was only offered for 2010. it must have been that bad.

I'd have to drive it first. I had some skepticism about buying my daughter's 05 with a 6 cylinder but surprisingly it was nearly as peppy as mine with an 8 cylinder.

The weight difference can be as much as 1,000 from the 3rd Gen that offered the 4 cylinder. You probably aren't going to armor it up without killing it entirely, so that may come into play.

Personally I would pass.

this is just a 2wd, no plans to mod it. but the more i read up on it the worse it sounds. i may still take it for a test drive next week.

The 2.7 is one of my favorite engines. It ain't fast by any stretch of the imagination, but it's efficient, quiet, and eminently reliable. If you don't care about it being a dog, it'll serve you like one.

If I'm reading it right, the V6 gets 17/23mpg, and the 4-cyl gets 18/23mpg. How did they even sell the 4?

If I'm reading it right, the V6 gets 17/23mpg, and the 4-cyl gets 18/23mpg. How did they even sell the 4?
They really didn't, that's why they stopped. I had a 2010 V6 and I thought that was on the slow side as well, I can imagine how slow the 4 banger was, ugh.

I test drove a regular cab tacoma a couple of years ago and thought it felt slower than my 60 w/ 2F and oversized tires.... I'd pass on it in a 4runner. As good as I know that engine is, it's just not enough for a larger 4runner.

I have a 2.7 in an extended cab 2010 tacoma. It's a good engine. My tacoma is loaded down with two tool boxes full of power tools and chemicals, a ladder rack with two ladders (aluminum gorilla folder and a 40' aluminum extension), three sprayers, two bags of concrete, other tools, rolls of hardware cloth, etc. It hauls about 600-800 lbs on a daily basis.

I have 165,500 miles on it as of this week. I beat that thing up and it goes just fine. Not fast, but it gets out of its own way. I average 18 mpg (60/40 hwy/city), and get 20 hwy going 80 on road trips.

I'd buy a 4R with a 2.7.

thanks for the replies. i really like the 2.7 and have pulled and installed a new one in a friend's truck after it finally blew a HG at 350k.
ha, but if its as slow as a 60 thats pretty bad!
Newt, thats interesting your double cab loaded down performs well enough.

Im hoping to get a test drive in early next week.

The EPA stats on the 2.7 Tacomas are what made me call bull**** on most EPA stats. We have fleet Tacomas in 2WD, with the 2.7 I4, as well as the 3.3 and 3.4 V6 engines. The newer 2.7s consistently get less mpg loaded in city conditions. But unloaded highway conditions, they get in the high 20's, even though they're rated at 23 combined. I get no more than 19 with the V6s in almost all conditions, even though they're rated at 22 combined. One thing I've noticed is the 2.7 I4 loves a feather touch on the throttle. Go easy on take-offs, never breach 65 mph, and she'll be efficient and solid.

Literally, YMMV.

Side note maybe, but I've been driving my daughter's 4runner for a couple weeks, waiting for an appt with my favorite Audi mechanic (coolant leak). I've run about 3 tanks of gas through it commuting. 2002 4x4 Sport, 3.4l, auto, 21, 20.5 and 22mpg for the three tanks of gas. Awesome little rig. I think I've got the :princess: talked into helping change the oil on Saturday.

i love the 4runner sports with the 3.4. i think its a great motor. nothing like the 4.0, but easy to work on and have always been totally reliable.

If you can get a good deal on the 2.7, (and don't have any wild expectations) I would recommend it. I put about 200K on a 2000 Tacoma PreRunner with the 2.7 - i swear all I remember doing to that thing was oil and gas. I'd carry some stuff around in the bed, but never really towed anything. Just a commuter with a bed. Sold it to a friend, and just heard the original water pump went out at around 260K. I'm pretty sure that tuck will run forever.

...then again, that truck seems fast compared to the '83 Mercedes I commute in now, haha. just gotta relax the ego and get in the slow lane on up hills!

It depends on how much of a power person you are. I personally can't stand being in a car that won't do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, but a lot of people don't really care. Test drive it and see how you feel. You might love it, you might hate it.

It depends on how much of a power person you are. I personally can't stand being in a car that won't do 0-60 in under 6 seconds, but a lot of people don't really care. Test drive it and see how you feel. You might love it, you might hate it.

Yet you are hanging out on a Land Cruiser forum?:hmm:

anyone have experience to compare 2TR vs 3RZ .. 3RZ are hell of an engine and can be modded / boosted like hell making decent power.

i haven't driven one.. but my 2011 with the V6 could use more pep.

I passed on it. it was for sale for a long time and the seller was willing to make a deal. looks like the 4cyl has terrible resale, ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom