Events/Trails 200s on Hole in the Rock Trail HITR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very good video. Does the trail surprising justice. That must have really slowed them down with all the drone shots and camera work. Jeeps or not, I say good job!

Very good video. Does the trail surprising justice. That must have really slowed them down with all the drone shots and camera work. Jeeps or not, I say good job!

I thought part one was excellent as well as they give a ton of history and historic visuals.

I did the trail with @TrickyT in May and we saw no one else in and out. Almost strange, 2 trucks, wide open space and no one. Rode the ferry twice. Glad we had no significant problems. I don't know how to post videos, but we have one in the chute where Tom 2 wheeled it a bit and that was pretty exciting. I'll post up if I can figure the tech. But we went in and out over 3 days and had a blast. That shelf road climb though, is serious business. You get off line there, and you're going to die. Someone will, next year, and that will either close the trail, or the county will come in and fix that bad spot.

The Rincon spur is also superb fun wheeling. Is it open or closed-depends on who you talk to. I've been there and back 3 times and not sure if I'll get there again, but it doubles the sketchy fun of this trail.

There are 2 adventure trails that in my opinion are the best we have access to. Hole in the Rock, and Dusy Ershim. Do them before you can't. These 2 trails are the reason you own a Land Cruiser.

Another short video from my GoPro climbing out after we turned around at the end of trail. I did get the front DS tire off the ground on the last climb.

@smittycrusher - there is another way out of that spot, to the left. It's hard to see untill you recognize the dugways left by the originals. Next time you go back look to the left at the bottom and you'll see a really interesting climb out. I've done it up and down a couple of times and it looks sketchy, but it's actually better.

@smittycrusher - there is another way out of that spot, to the left. It's hard to see untill you recognize the dugways left by the originals. Next time you go back look to the left at the bottom and you'll see a really interesting climb out. I've done it up and down a couple of times and it looks sketchy, but it's actually better.

I know the exact spot you are referencing. I think I took that line in 2015 or 2016. This line just looked more fun that day.

I took the line youre speaking about. It was less drama and no wheel lift.

@smittycrusher

Going to try a video of the alternate route. Have not mastered editing yet, but you get the idea!

I did the trail with @TrickyT in May and we saw no one else in and out. Almost strange, 2 trucks, wide open space and no one. Rode the ferry twice. Glad we had no significant problems. I don't know how to post videos, but we have one in the chute where Tom 2 wheeled it a bit and that was pretty exciting. I'll post up if I can figure the tech. But we went in and out over 3 days and had a blast. That shelf road climb though, is serious business. You get off line there, and you're going to die. Someone will, next year, and that will either close the trail, or the county will come in and fix that bad spot.

The Rincon spur is also superb fun wheeling. Is it open or closed-depends on who you talk to. I've been there and back 3 times and not sure if I'll get there again, but it doubles the sketchy fun of this trail.

There are 2 adventure trails that in my opinion are the best we have access to. Hole in the Rock, and Dusy Ershim. Do them before you can't. These 2 trails are the reason you own a Land Cruiser.

Hey Cruiserdrew, how is the Dusy Ershim? I've seen some videos and the difficulty level looks to rival the Rubicon. Would a 200 make it without sustaining body damage? Navigating through the trees seems to be a bummer.

Hey Cruiserdrew, how is the Dusy Ershim? I've seen some videos and the difficulty level looks to rival the Rubicon. Would a 200 make it without sustaining body damage? Navigating through the trees seems to be a bummer.

It would be one hell of a slog.... You would be legendary though.

I recall asking Georg about the Dusy and he was confident that both a.) the truck would make it and b.) I would not like the way it looked upon completion. If someone can pilot a 200 through the Rubicon (including the sluices and cadillac hill) without damage then maybe, just maybe, go for the Dusy.

Last edited:

Dusy is some fine 4 wheeling. It's almost a secret and the logistics are difficult, but it's awesome. Better than the Rubicon, as in better, not necessarily harder. Thompson Hill for instance, is harder than Big Sluice, but not as hard as Old Sluice. Navigating the trees is fun and I've gone through x2 in my FJ60 and x6 in my FJ40. I am confident I could take my 80 through there. But I am pretty tolerant of sheet metal damage as long as the doors open, because none of mine are beauty queens.

So size wise, I think a 200 could go through. But you would have to be tolerant of scrapes, dings and maybe a roof dent. You would have to be able to fix real breakage, because it's a thing on that trail. If that isn't your style, don't go. But I think you could do it. And if you want to try, I'm leaving for there Sunday if you want to go. We'll be off the trail by Friday.:hillbilly:

Anyway, I know this is the 200 forum, but I think 200s are still to nice to take anywhere like Dusy Ershim. Wait until they arn't so nice in another decade or so. I think that @slimbuddha 's successful 100 series on the Rubicon thing is going to have a bunch of 100 owners doing it next year. But most of those trucks are 15+ years old and in that sweet spot of age where they still work well, aren't daily drivers anymore, and are cheap enough to modify.

Edit: We had 2 guys go through with us in 80s 3 years ago with roof top tents. I did not think that would work, but it did. So a bunch of 80 series have gone trough Dusy. I'm not aware of a 100 or 200 doing it, so as @beno says, you would be an ih8mud legend from now on.

Last edited:
Dusy is some fine 4 wheeling. It's almost a secret and the logistics are difficult, but it's awesome. Better than the Rubicon, as in better, not necessarily harder. Thompson Hill for instance, is harder than Big Sluice, but not as hard as Old Sluice. Navigating the trees is fun and I've gone through x2 in my FJ60 and x6 in my FJ40. I am confident I could take my 80 through there. But I am pretty tolerant of sheet metal damage as long as the doors open, because none of mine are beauty queens.

So size wise, I think a 200 could go through. But you would have to be tolerant of scrapes, dings and maybe a roof dent. You would have to be able to fix real breakage, because it's a thing on that trail. If that isn't your style, don't go. But I think you could do it. And if you want to try, I'm leaving for there Sunday if you want to go. We'll be off the trail by Friday.:hillbilly:

Anyway, I know this is the 200 forum, but I think 200s are still to nice to take anywhere like Dusy Ershim. Wait until they arn't so nice in another decade or so. I think that @slimbuddha 's successful 100 series on the Rubicon thing is going to have a bunch of 100 owners doing it next year. But most of those trucks are 15+ years old and in that sweet spot of age where they still work well, aren't daily drivers anymore, and are cheap enough to modify.

Edit: We had 2 guys go through with us in 80s 3 years ago with roof top tents. I did not think that would work, but it did. So a bunch of 80 series have gone trough Dusy. I'm not aware of a 100 or 200 doing it, so as @beno says, you would be an ih8mud legend from now on.

You've peaked my interest, what is this Dusy you speak of?

You've peaked my interest, what is this Dusy you speak of?

You'll have to consult the Google! It's 33 miles of unrelenting Rubicon type trail that takes 3 - 4 days to complete. The 2 ends are the only access. And since the whole trail is 9000-10000 feet, it's hard on the humans as well as the trucks. It's only open a short window-typically August 1-October 1, but if it's after Sept 1, you better be prepared for snow and/or Donner party type stuff.

If you want to do it, I'd suggest gather up a couple of like minded 100 series owners and that way you can coordinate parts and repairs. I've always run it south to north, but if you take an IFS rig it might be marginally easier north to south, and that way Thompson hill would be down hill.

I could be talked into it. My 100 is well built and has more than its share of character from the trees and rocks of Vermont.
I don't think this year is in the cards, but I am totally up for this next year. I don't think we need just 100's, but I would like at least 3-4 other vehicles to go.

I could be talked into it. My 100 is well built and has more than its share of character from the trees and rocks of Vermont.

Character is quite different from what you will get on this trail! Do Rubicon first since it's shorter and less of a mission.

Things that have broken/Gone wrong on Dusy:
(this is just my friends and myself on Land Cruiser trips and I've only done it 8 times over 10-12 years)

Engine fire-roasted the wiring harness
Sector shaft fracture
Sheared off pan hard mounts
Broken frames x numerous-bring a welder
Fuel pump FJ40
Drive shafts x many
Hub studs x many
Differential x1
80 series birf x2 at least
Flat tires x many
Wheel studs
ARB failure x several
Full FJ60 flop onto roof (Not mine)
Broken ribs (man that wrecked my trip as every steering input was soooo painful)
Wrecked Saginaw steering box - truck was uncontrollable on the road after
Door caved in x numerous
Many, many other body dents
Broken lower control arms
Left side motor mounts - at least 2
Broken TRE's
Fusible links
Knuckle bearings-full disintegration on a set from a Company I won't mention but they are famous for Chinese products that are copies of Marlin Crawler products

Anyway, we better get back to Hole in the Rock where not so much stuff breaks and the scenery is other worldly! @slimbuddha if you are really serious, I would to go along and watch the fun. Our group can try and be there the same week as yours, but none of us have IFS trucks so we wouldn't be any help, other than a sat phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom