Events/Trails 200s on Hole in the Rock Trail HITR (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

smittycrusher

"Hey big guy, you a golfer" - Roger Dorn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.morganstanleyfa.com
Ok, so I am an 80 guy (had my 80 since 2004). Never really considered another Cruiser to be equal...until now.

I had run HITR twice in my 80. Both times @steenh was co-driver. The last time (November 2016) he decided that he had to get his 200 on this trail. Fast forward to last week’s LCDC event in Telluride. This gave us the perfect chance to meet up in Moab before the event and grab another 200 to hit up HITR before heading over to the San Juan’s. @Willy beamin joined up with us and off we went.

HITR is an in and out trail. 35 miles of continuous fun. Lots of vertical drops/climbs and off camber stuff with big drop offs on the sides of many obstacles (some of them 100+ feet). Once you get to the end, you get to turn around and do all the same obstacles in reverse.

I don’t know of any other 200s that have done this trail. With that said, THE 200s KILLED IT! They had no problems keeping up with my triple locked 80 on a 4” lift and 315s. Being late July, the temps were brutal. 100*+ during both days. I can tell you that the 200s handled the heat better than my 97’ 80. I didn’t have any overheating issues, but my AC wasn’t near as happy as the 200 guy’s were. I also had a misfire issue on the 2nd cylinder that robbed me of some power...but I fought through it.

These 200s are legit! I also have a 100 series and it never impressed me near as much as my 80. I would put the 200 up against my 80 any day...and I do not take that statement lightly as I am an 80 snob ;).

Here is a quick video of one of the ledge climbs...which of course looks a lot easier in video than person.

I will also post a few photos.

I encourage @steenh and @Willy beamin to add their thoughts and pics/vids as well.

Smitty

Pics

E740015E-B536-4810-9F2F-E940DF258D43.jpeg

D707ACEB-42DC-40AD-8202-6699E2D8B082.jpeg

8BBD5636-ACEF-498E-978A-5BC47D05E4E4.jpeg

AA3AFF9C-8B65-421B-A489-591912E6E810.jpeg

F53DB44D-818E-4601-A033-B574DA1923E3.jpeg

More

56C2AD77-D08B-4563-9460-9E08B9A7939F.jpeg

0132C674-306A-4418-9B16-194A33BC3501.jpeg

9A419ABA-92AD-44AC-8186-79C0CEF6CA85.jpeg

40E12970-EE24-4814-BD26-B804AA14487F.jpeg

268C2BE3-6AAA-4E2F-8697-B63E6E23EE57.jpeg

More

886CCCD5-E152-420A-88AB-0D507AE1BA73.jpeg

7D3EB0AA-037F-4450-BBFB-31F63041F148.jpeg

CF3531CB-CB75-470D-9107-B209AD2A0CEC.jpeg

31EB1A66-CCBA-475B-A217-252636DF3C3D.jpeg

BE1F5437-C483-4076-9855-32C2B7C05444.jpeg

Last ones

7819760C-5BA9-4E59-8E4A-C6D530F305FF.jpeg

F9D3EE3A-1C4D-4373-BC19-E9BD6772CC46.jpeg

717A721E-DED4-44F8-8F9A-E8035E34F75D.jpeg

So, third time on this trail and as Scott said, I was co-driver of his 80 the first two times and probably drove the whole trail in that 80 one direction or the other between those two trips (Scott was too kind to let me drive as much as he did) so I had a really good feel for what the trail had to offer, and really just had to get the 200 out there to give it a shot. I somehow corralled @Willy beamin into coming along. I hope he doesn't regret saying yes!

This trail is relentless. We had completely forgotten about the obstacles early on the trail because the obstacles later are so memory inspiring, and there are just so many. We also kept up a very fast pace which is definitely Scott's style, and mine as well... but damn we beat on these trucks. Each way, going fast, is about 10 hours to give you an idea of what the pace is like (3.5 MPH). There is one stretch of very fast driving on the plateau that offers a great view of the Colorado horseshoe bend, so the average MPH is very slow everywhere else, and with a bigger group, would be much slower. It's critical to stay together since much of the trail isn't well marked, or marked at all. GPS track is an absolute must or you just won't be able to follow the trail.

Lot's of different trucks have gone through it, and maybe a 200 has before, but no one has spoken up yet, so until then, we can claim to be the first. So glad we did!

Impressions -

From a pure comfort standpoint, the 200 is exceptional. My cheap Ironman lift handled the bumps and jumps like a champ. The AC worked well enough that I really couldn't tell it was 104 out until I got out of the truck. The engine temp never moved, and the AC was full blast pretty much all day.

Obstacle handling - We went through everything the 80 went through and given equal build, the 200 can basically do what a lifted and locked 80 can do. Of course the solid axle 80 has a bit more front end articulation, but the 200 is pretty strong there and that didn't slow us down at all. Willy had 35's as did Scott. I had what amounts to just under 33's, and clearance was a slight issue for me in a couple of spots where Scott and Willy plowed through easily, and I had to take a couple of shots at it. That put bigger tires at the top of my list. One of the nice things about this trail is that it's not a body damage trail, so that's not really a concern (unless you go over one of the edges of course). It does beat the crap out of the bumpers and undercarriage so I was glad to have had the @BudBuilt skids and Trail Tailor shock guards. I also have the RLC rear bumper which is very high clearance.

Overall I was just so impressed with the 200. Able to drive 80+ for 1800 miles, wheel Moab for a day, HITR for 2 days, Colorado for 2 days and drive back home 1800 miles without a single hiccup or sore back is incredible. I know we all think these trucks rock, and we are right!!

Minimum requirements for a 200 on HITR, in my opinion... others may differ.

* Lift
* Sliders
* Skids - Highly recommended
* Rear locker - Or at least someone in the group has to have one to pull you over the obstacles you may not get through.
* True 33-34" tires
* Winch
* High clearance bumpers - or no regard for your stock bumpers
* Some decent experience though by the end of this trail, you will be a better driver if you are relatively new to the game.

Maybe the best part of the trip was that we didn't see a single other person/vehicle on the trail. Time of year probably helped with that!

Here are some pics... I am going to cobble together a video once I get everyone's footage. It was disappointing that our GoPro's didn't handle the heat very well, mine especially so the footage is a bit limited but I'll do the best I can.

enhance
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

That's the great bend of the San Juan River you see from the top of Gray Mesa.

Glad to hear the 200s are up to the task. How did they do on the shelf road climb up to Gray Mesa? I was there in May, and thought it was even more sketchy than 2 years ago, although Kurt said the county was thinking of improving that spot for safety.

Must have been hot! Thanks for the trip report.

Was the road to the Rincon signed as closed or was the sign down?

Great insights...Forget the 200s...You did that trail in the summer? Wow! Bravo! Good country for sure:).

That's the great bend of the San Juan River you see from the top of Gray Mesa.

Glad to hear the 200s are up to the task. How did they do on the shelf road climb up to Gray Mesa? I was there in May, and thought it was even more sketchy than 2 years ago, although Kurt said the county was thinking of improving that spot for safety.

Must have been hot! Thanks for the trip report.

Was the road to the Rincon signed as closed or was the sign down?

It was pretty sketchy there. Between "the spooky spot" which is definitely worse than before, and the last stretch of that climb, it seems to have gotten worse over the years. That last spot was where I had to take a couple runs at it due to tire size. Scott and Travis got through it without an issue. I wouldn't mind a bit of improvement there, but hope they don't "pave" it. That's part of the fun, right!

It was hot, but honestly, even middle of the day at 100+ we pulled out an awning and sat for lunch and it really wasn't uncomfortable at all. Sleeping at night at 80 was the hardest part.

Rincon hasn't had a "closed" sign in any of the three years I've been there, but I just know it's a closed trail at this point so we didn't go there.

Great insights...Forget the 200s...You did that trail in the summer? Wow! Bravo! Good country for sure:).

Thanks... it was well worth taking a bit of heat. Such a great place to be and the trail is one of a kind.

Rlc bumper comes with a built in scoop at the rear trailing edge

Love the dirt pouring out of the rear bumper on the video.
That was an exclusive mod to the 200s. They even excel at excavation.

Smitty

It was a fun and technical trail. The heat was intense at times but not a stopper. Probably one of the most fun trails I've ever done. Obstacles were plentiful and the high speed desert running was a blast. Sections where we were running 35-40 mph for ten minutes or more is crazy fun. Suspension received a proper work out. I'm going to check and tighten every nut and bolt I see over the next week or so. The sketchy part, basically a goat trail, is an attention getter, no nonsense and trust your spotter for sure. Climbing vertical walls in a 200 is an experience most will never know - ha. Great trip, good company, awesome memories made. I'll post some pics and videos when I get all that sorted. Very glad I did this trail. Top notch run

How did you like the climb to Grey's Mesa?

You definitely get to check that your balls are attached around the spooky spot, and the last climb is a banger for sure. Been three times... enjoyed every one. That spot is the price of entry to the fun stuff later!

You definitely get to check that your balls are attached around the spooky spot, and the last climb is a banger for sure. Been three times... enjoyed every one. That spot is the price of entry to the fun stuff later!

Agree 100% with Steen. I was in front and took the same line that I have taken the two previous years...this DID NOT work out well. Thankfully I was able to back out and reevaluate. That spot has definitely gotten worse since 2015 (I have done this trail in October of 2015, November of 2016 and now July of 2018). To Steen's point, most of the great parts of the trail are after that spot, so it really is a gatekeeper to what makes that trail great.

Smitty

I saw smittys arse end go straight up in the air and reverse lights come on, i told myself f-that line. I truley thought he was going into a Very bad situation. He got outta there and life moved on. Thats a no joke spot. A good spotter, a Good line and momentum is key.

Last edited:
I saw smittys arse end straight up and reverse lights come on, i told myself f-that line. I truley thought he was going into a Very bad situation. He got outta there and life moved on. Thats a no joke spot. A good spotter, a Good line and momentum is key.

True story.

I just watched the Grey's Mesa climb on YouTube and am feeling good that I sat this one out. I'd love to do this trail sometime but the RTT is coming off for sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom