2008-2018 Radiator Failure and Public Service Announcement (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Quick install tip:

I used camelback toyota and ordered online. I wanted to use all oem parts. There prices are decent and have quick shipping to CA. Here’s my order list minus the thermostat housing gasket.

View attachment 2257007
Compiling a parts list for future replacement... anyone have the Thermostat housing gasket part number?

Or... is that not being replaced when doing the water pump/thermostat?

Here's a table you can copy/paste from...

ItemPN
Radiator16400-50384
Upper hose16571-38080
Lower hose16572-38131
Thermostat16031-0S010
Water pump16100-09491
Serp tensioner16620-0S012
Idler pulley16603-38012
Water P Gasket (Apparently not needed... WP comes with a gasket...)16271-38020 (Comes w WP)
Serp belt90916-A2033
Thermostat housing gasketComes with T-Stat
Fan support bearing16380-0S010
Fan Clutch - 16210-38071
Pulley, Fan - 16371-38010

In addition to this list I'd suggest adding #1 and #3 water by-pass hoses.

#1 - 16261-0S030 (removed to replace water pump and access thermostat)

#3 - 16267-0S030 (removed to replace water pump, technically just 'detached', but it's way easier to loosen the heater T hard pipe to get slack and just pull this little elbow off)

Updated the list as I just found out the WP comes with a WP gasket... Anyone need a WP gasket, let me know

Updated 4/8/23 with extra parts from recent posts here (wish I would have bought the small hoses...)

Last edited:
Thermostat comes with new gasket

Thermostat comes with new gasket
Great, if anyone sees anything missing from that list, let me know.

The only thing I didn't include there (on purpose) is the fan clutch, since Toyota viscous clutches seem to never go bad.

Great, if anyone sees anything missing from that list, let me know.

The only thing I didn't include there (on purpose) is the fan clutch, since Toyota viscous clutches seem to never go bad.

Mine went out on my 100 series. However, it's very possible that it was the original one with over 300k miles.

Mine went out on my 100 series. However, it's very possible that it was the original one with over 300k miles.
Funny you say that, I see (hear) a lot of 100 series with seized fan clutches…

I had 225k on my old 4.7 4Runner with the original fan clutch. I figure I’ll do it next time around in another ~110k miles at 220k.

Funny you say that, I see (hear) a lot of 100 series with seized fan clutches…

I had 225k on my old 4.7 4Runner with the original fan clutch. I figure I’ll do it next time around in another ~110k miles at 220k.

Haha - yeah, to be fair I had 275k on my 4.7 4Runner when I sold it a few years ago. As far as I know, it was still on the original fan clutch. My current 200 has the original fan clutch at 205k, so I'm happy to chalk the 100 up as an outlier. 😂

Well I was just putting together parts for a future replacement, but doing my spark plugs today I found this nice little crack. 106k on a 2010 LX. Hit it with a little JB Quick Weld and I’ll need to schedule time at a shop.
3B75F191-5707-4F02-903D-6C2CA7356F6B.jpeg
B2F44C6E-65CA-453C-91B7-3CB6620D1DD5.jpeg

Add me to the list 2010 LX570, 123k miles. Put the new radiator in today. Went fairly smoothly. One thing I didn't look carefully at was how the fan shroud rested against the radiator. Can someone check to verify that you can see the metal "crimp" closure on the radiator when looking at it from the top. I thought the fan shroud covered that part up, but now it's bolted back in place and looks right, but the metal is clearly visible.

Add me to the list 2010 LX570, 123k miles. Put the new radiator in today. Went fairly smoothly. One thing I didn't look carefully at was how the fan shroud rested against the radiator. Can someone check to verify that you can see the metal "crimp" closure on the radiator when looking at it from the top. I thought the fan shroud covered that part up, but now it's bolted back in place and looks right, but the metal is clearly visible.
Mine is visible.

Major concern?
It wouldn’t be for me, as long as it has Toyota pink coolant in it.

As miles accrue I’d keep an eye on it, and possibly consider replacement at an interval that seems acceptable. but it’s unlikely to let go in short term.

Is mine cracked?:rolleyes: Just noticed the pink this morning. Florence Toyota quoted $1705.23...yeah that's not happening...
IMG_0156.jpeg

It wouldn’t be for me, as long as it has Toyota pink coolant in it.

As miles accrue I’d keep an eye on it, and possibly consider replacement at an interval that seems acceptable. but it’s unlikely to let go in short term.
well it's pink, not sure I can confirm its Toyota coolant.

So my PO replaced the radiator with what I'm assuming is not a Toyota branded radiator, no markings. Major concern?
This is only one datapoint but I had my radiator replaced for my 2013 LC after a deer took out the front end. The dealer installed a non-OEM radiator. I did not realize this until 25,000 miles later when it started leaking from the core.

I would not go out and just replace it unless maybe you were doing a bunch of other work and it was just convenient to do so. But I would monitor coolant level frequently and be ready to make the swap when the time comes.

I put on some cheap insurance yesterday. JB RadiatorWeld. I cut the fiberglass patch to extend beyond the cracks, an up the sides of the raised plastic nub. Looks like crap, but it's solid and I'm sure it will hold until I get a new radiator in. If you did something like this before it cracked, I don't think you would ever have an issue...except for the ugly grey blob!
IMG_0159.jpeg

This is only one datapoint but I had my radiator replaced for my 2013 LC after a deer took out the front end. The dealer installed a non-OEM radiator. I did not realize this until 25,000 miles later when it started leaking from the core.

I would not go out and just replace it unless maybe you were doing a bunch of other work and it was just convenient to do so. But I would monitor coolant level frequently and be ready to make the swap when the time comes.

Interestingly enough, I believe the local dealer installed this one as well...now, there's always the chance it's the exact same OEM radiator, without the Toyota stamp, but I doubt it lol

Interestingly enough, I believe the local dealer installed this one as well...now, there's always the chance it's the exact same OEM radiator, without the Toyota stamp, but I doubt it lol
Some dealers are known to source aftermarket parts if OE isn't available quickly enough.

It's also entirely possible your aftermarket part doesn't have the design flaw that leads to the topic of this thread, but as @kcjaz experienced often there are other QC issues with non-toyota parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom